5.0 out of 5 stars So many "aha" moments in this book
I bought this book on a recommendation from Ken Rockwell, and I will be forever grateful that I did. This book is comprehensive, highly readable, and inclusive with something for everyone:
- from those of us still shooting B&W film to those who are fully digital
- from beginners to experienced photographers
- from those interested in landscapes to...
Published 17 months ago by Karen Thurman

1.0 out of 5 stars Style gets in the way of the message
Published 15 months ago by Dummyrun

5.0 out of 5 stars So many "aha" moments in this book, 15 July 2013
This review is from: The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression (Photographic Arts Editions) (Paperback)
- from those of us still shooting B&W film to those who are fully digital
- from beginners to experienced photographers
- from those interested in landscapes to architectural, portrait etc.

The book covers the full photography "lifecycle" from visualising/shooting the photo to developing the negative/digital image to printing. It covers:
- visualising the end product
- composition
- lighting
- colour
- use of filters
- Ansel Adams' Zone system for film and digital (in language that I could understand, for a change)
- negative development
- printing your works of art
- preserving them for posterity
- understanding/developing your own style

So far, this sounds a bit like dozens of other photography books out there. What makes this one different is:
- the vast coverage of topics and details
- his sharing of a large number of techniques which, if followed, will make you a better photographer/artist
- the excellent use of photos to demonstrate the principles Bruce writes about
- the ability to illustrate the integration of the photography process from the moment something catches your eye up to the moment you have the finished print
- its great readability. He is able to take otherwise complex ideas and turn them into perfectly understandable ones

This book does not talk about gear, so if you're looking for information on cameras, lenses and other tools you won't find it here.

I learned a lot from this book, even though I considered myself a reasonably experienced photographer. I've had so many "ooohhh, now I see" moments. I am happy to say that this is the best photography book I have ever owned. I am about to embark on my second reading, having just finished my first reading of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on photography by far, 2 Sep 2011
I bought this because it was recommended reading and I am very glad I did. It is full of great advice on all aspects of photograghy and it matters very little that it contains a lot on B & W as it is all applicable knowledge and anyway there is a whole chapter on colour and digital. Do not skip the classical Darkroom chapters or you will miss out badly on understanding the origins and techniques used digitally now in Lightroom such as unsharp mask and more. As said in other reviews it has all you need to read on the zone system and the way to use a light meter.
It is not a light read for beginners (no pun intended)
I found this book extremely informative and will continue to use it as a reference work in future. I have the book but will also get the kindle version.

5.0 out of 5 stars An author with a passion, 1 Aug 2012
I love this book. Every page breathes a passion for photography. The technical knowledge demonstrated is immense and shows he has been there. But in addition to the pure technical expertise, the author shows a deep reflective approach to creating an image that communicates what the photographer really intended. For intance, he pointed out one of my common faults in always achieving high contrast in an image, which then negates the peaceful mood I really wanted.

I get the impression this book was originally written just for black and white photography, then later updated with sections on colour photography. It still feels like 95% of thje book is based on black and white. Until I read this book I considered colour as the only way to go because the real world is in colour. But it opened my eyes to why black and white is still important and motivated me to try converting my colour images properly to black and white. I think even a dedicated colour photographer can gain from this book because of the quality of the material presented.

The front cover image gives an idea of who will enjoy this book. If you enjoy the black and white image presented and wish you could create such a compelling image yourself, then you will enjoy the book. But if the image does not move you then you may not.

The book includes a section with very detailed coverage of dark room development for specific films to get the most from a negative. As a digital photographer, this was wasted on me. But the book is so large and has so much other useful content that a few pages to be skipped did not bother me.

I probably have 70 or 80 photography books. I would consider this right near the top in terms of the help it has given me, and with something that none of my other books have. Several books are a light read and I may not come back to them because the points made are 'obvious'. This book requires more concentration and I will still get more from it when I re-read it. Excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Style gets in the way of the message, 20 Sep 2013
I didnt like his pictures and I didn't enjoy the writing style. There were places where the author's opinions just grated. If you write your own book, you can say what you want, but if it gets in the way of the message, it defeats the purpose of writing a book in the first place. I decided to take a quick look online about the author, (after reading a passage where he was berating someone for conventional photographic wisdom on the zone system I think), and found that in the photo forums he draws heavy criticism for his style of teaching.

I could not believe how unprofessional it was to see on the inside cover of this book a quote of a review from a member of the general public to the effect that BB's book is better than Way Beyond Monochrome, or Elements. The point being that such self agrandissement is distasteful.

If you want to look at technically beautiful photos, pick up a copy of the out of print Elements, and if you want a book on technique, get an Anchell book, or better still, a book by Henry called Controls in Black and White Photography. I also like Les Mclean or Blakemore for inspiration and technique.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - makes you think, 17 April 2012
Mr. M. Richards "Mike" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Like many, its the technology of photography that initially attracted me to the hobby but this book provides a great read if, like me, you're trying to better understand the art of photography. The author describes the thinking process behind many images in detail and this helps to illustrate the approach that you need to take to create photographic art. In addition to helping re-program your photographic brain, the author also provides many practical tips that can be used to enhance your photographs so that you can clearly express yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars First class in every sense, 5 April 2011
In my view, it's an excellent book about composition. Having read Freeman's "Photographer's Eye" (and Mind) books just before, I think this one is better. I am a colour photographer but I found it very useful (even if all his examples are black and white) as the same composition rules apply to both colour and b&w photography. It is not a book for beginners as a reviewer said before, although deals with exposure matters, it won't teach any camera settings. His "break the rules" statement should be taken with a pinch of salt. IMHO,it's better to stick to the rules, know them, apply them for a while and break them once you "feel" them. Unbalanced compositions or images with lack of contrast/colour are impressive when done well, but tricky to master. Not an easy reading, but a masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read on photography, 11 Jun 2014
LightJunkie (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
And I've read a lot of books on photography!

One of my favourite passages in this book is the one where Bruce Barnbaum explains why 'the rule of thirds' is made up nonsense. He goes on to impart much wisdom, accompanied by plenty of photographs to illustrate his points. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guidance for the aspiring photographer, 21 Aug 2013
I chose this book over others as it focused more on how to think like a photographer, rather than most guides which focus on the use of the camera. I wasn't disappointed - a pretty useful guide on how to follow your own muse rather than following worn rules of thumb. Well worthwhile,

5.0 out of 5 stars A review by Paul Turnbull Photography, 26 Jun 2012
I am a professional photographer and I've read a good number of books on photography and photographic techniques, including Perfect Exposure: The Professional Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs and The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman. This book is in a similar vein but goes into a lot more detail and provides numerous examples and in-depth descriptions. It's a slightly heavier read than a lot of other photography books and can get quite scientific but well worth the extra time. Most of the examples in the book are black and white and the author - Bruce Barnbaum - is a true master of the field, taking a creative eye and a very methodical approach and producing awe-inspiring photographs. Unfortunately, even after reading The Art of Photography, I'm still not as good a photographer as Bruce!

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because it is highly recommended. I found it irritating, 10 Nov 2014
I bought this because it is highly recommended. I found it irritating, but some of that irritation led to new ideas. A lot of the book is devoted to film and black and white. For me neither are an option - even if the author frequently assures me film is better than digital. There's an odd contrast between how almost all technical issues are glossed over and then the highly technical treatment of enlargers and chemicals. The author mentions his mathematical background, but there are no equations here. "Never have secrets" he says, well yes, but we're not being told all he knows and how he sees the world. I read the contents page on line, thought that will be interesting, and then found it all too simple. Digital is covered, but I suspect the author is not comfortable with it, much of the coverage is based around one software product, not one I use. The author is a better photographer and knows more about photography than I ever will, this was just not the book for me.