on 30 December 2009
I came to this book with a long standing background in amateur club level photography. My main creative experience however dates from before the introduction of the Autofocus SLR - never mind the digital era!

Not to say I am a total Luddite in this respect - I have retained my interest and adopted the digital medium - but more on "point and shoot" basis than a creative one.

I had dabbled with panoramic prints in the past and the concept of exploring them further from the digital angle appealed.

This book starts its introduction to digital panorama work at such a level that I could follow the principles and theories being applied all the way through. The approach is a hybrid of mathematical theory, applied physics and digital application. Do not be put off though! This is not high level stuff. If you can cope with the concepts of f numbers, focal lengths and shutter speeds this book will not leave you floundering!

The more practical sections about taking panoramic shots were quite an eye opener! The requirement to rotate the camera precisely about the "No-Parallax" point was not something that had occurred to me - but the fact that it is considered here is an indication of the level of precision present in the work being described. The book takes you through a review of the specialist equipment required for managing the camera rotation and reviews those currently available - providing a useful analysis of the pros and cons of each option. The review of the choice of lens focal length best for this work is also useful and well presented.

In the main section of the book the software packages available for use in the various steps of creating panoramas are considered and their performance and usability is compared. The various sections which describe the processes used make close reference to various pieces of software and in many cases screen dumps are used to illustrate the process. This however is done in such a way that the book remains readable without having the software running in front of you. It is also worth noting that at no point does one get the feeling that this is a user guide to a particular package.

The second half of the book starts with a "Panorama Gallery" which presents a number of completed panoramas with a description of the equipment and software used in the creation of each one. The final section takes a detailed look at the preparation of some stunning panorama projects. In these cases a great deal of detail of the work flow is presented. The equipment and software used is described and some detail of the software settings is presented.

This last section is, in many ways, the highlight of this book. It brings together all of the theory, the equipment and the software as background to the development of some exhibition quality panoramas.

For me this book has provided the introduction to digital panoramas which I was looking for. Having read it though - it will not be passed on - it will remain on my book shelf as a source of reference and inspiration for the future.
on 28 December 2009
Before buying this book I was searching for information about panoramic photography. Of course today you can find anything on the internet but the book it is more useful because you can have all the information in one place.
Inside there are a lot of details about how to adjust the camera, the tripod head, color settings, parallax errors and much more. In a nutshell: all the information you need to start and become a professional in panoramic photography.
on 3 November 2009
I have accumulated a number of 'How to' Panoramic Books and I suppose that I will continue to, for me I can never stop learning about this fascinating area of Photography. When it's done right a Panorama will take your breath away. This is as good a starting Book as any and is up to date with the latest gizmos, although If I am being picky these Books never have enough examples of the full Workflow process.
on 10 November 2010
This is an excellent book on the technique of mastering Panoramic photography. If you wish to understand the mechanics of taking and creating panoramic photographs, then this is the book for you. As well as a practical approach to the equipment required, the book covers the theory o panoramic photography, and also the software required. Though there is a wealth of information available on the web on this subject, it is not collated in a single work which you can easily digest. Excellently translated from it's original German, it's a well thought out book on a fascinating subject. I don't think I would have been able to progress to the level in this art form as quickly without the aid of this book.