VINE VOICEon 3 January 2008
The book kicks off with a couple of very technical chapters looking at the background to HDRI, a comparison of the various image formats together with a very comprehensive look at a wide range of HDRI software currently available, from freeware up to the top of the line packages, comparing features of each. This takes up the first third of the book, and I did feel a bit like I was being overloaded with technical info.

However, then the book does it get onto the interesting bit - how to take HDRI images, and what to do with them when you've got them. Suddenly all the dry tech stuff up front makes sense, and you can see where all the bits go, and why. Chapters 3, 4 and 5 look at taking HDRI images, tone mapping and HDR image processing, and cover the subject extremely well, with huge amounts of useful information and clear step-by-step instructions.

The last two chapters cover panoramic HDR images and an interesting (but again quite technical) chapter on HDR in computer-generated imaging.

So, the first couple of chapters could put off a novice photographer, but dig a little further and there is a wealth of information here. If you're interested in HDR images and what you can do with them, then this is a fantastic resource. And it comes with an accompanying DVD packed with software, sample HDR images and tutorial files.
on 7 April 2008
As a complete novice to HDR imaging I was seeking a guide written in layman's terms to get me kick-started but unfortunately for me this book wasn't it. The HDRI Handbook may present a complete and comprenhensive guide to the topic but I'm afraid I found it disjointed, largely incomprenhensible and much too hard work to wade through, probably due to my lack of technical knowledge. I'm not new to photo imaging nor do I lack the ability to grasp new knowledge and concepts but personally I derived a lot more understanding from the tutorials presented in some of the current photo mags. The search continues!
on 14 March 2010
This really is the definitive guide on the subject, primarily for CG artists but also I'd imagine it to be useful for photographers.
However, I'm a CG lighting artist,working on a new showreel and I wanted to have the best guide for what it's really intended for.

Whilst it gives you a fantastic grounding in the whole process, you do really need to have a grasp the basics already, which if you are doing CGI, you should have.
on 2 April 2010
Very good book. I'm a fairly experienced novice photographer and familar with Photoshop. This book has all the technical information you need to process your images using various packages. I revisited some HDRI's that I created previously using Photoshop through trial and error. Imediately with the aid of this book - the new HDRI images that I produced were significantly better than the previous attempts. I've been inspired to upgrade my SLR and take more pictures - or begin saving for an upgrade atleast!

This book is well laid out - you can skip the techy stuff and head straight for the tutorials if you wish - I've read most of the technical bits so far - which sometimes required a couple of reads to take in the vast amount of information.
on 1 February 2011
One of the book who i'm proud to have bought. It is simply perfect. It has everything you need to understand, try and experiment. Is really full of informations and really worth to buy.
on 18 July 2013
I bought this product as a gift for a friend. She has found it very informative and, using the information, it has helped her
develop her photography.
on 14 April 2010
Was in the market for a book on HDR images and also on HDRI mapping for 3D environments. I was a bit unsure whether to buy this book or not though but I've read the full thing in the space on a day or two and think the purchase was well worth it.

It doesn't treat you like an idiot and explain everything about photography from the ground up which alot of books do which can be annoying. It was just very helpful at fully explaining it's subject matter in great detail and beyond.

And it's almost worth it alone for the DVD included which is chock full of images, panoramas, application trials, etc.

Great book.
Great DVD.
Great purchase!
on 16 December 2014
Some really nice info there if you are really into HDRI photography buy this !
on 22 March 2015
Interesting book.
on 3 June 2008
ill cut to the chase, this book is really for peps who work in CG/Computer generated images...if youre looking for a book about tone mapping you would be better off looking else where.

Fot CG people though this book is worth evey penny!