5.0 out of 5 stars Najmieh has done a great job
Hi
Published on 24 May 2010 by Tesco Club Card

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect.
Book is beautiful made. I am dissapointed just about one thing: every reicipe should have picture. I am not very familliar with Middle East kitchen and picture would be much helpful to follow recipe. There is 240 recipes and 120 photos (not every of them according to recipe). For beginners, like I am, that is big shortcoming.
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by Alexandra

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Najmieh has done a great job, 24 May 2010
Tesco Club Card "Mo" (UK) - See all my reviews
Hi
I am persian myself and bought the book as part of a wedding present for my friend and his wife. Although they ar Iranians (persians) like most who have grown up outside of Iran don't know much about cooking the lovely food. You can not get decent persian cooks in resturants either so one has to learn and appreciate the food. This book is beautifully presented and the recepies are very good. It makes a great present for anyone who is interested in cooking. Persian food is also a little varied between families and regions so you need to adjust some of the recepies to match you preferences so experiment. For example the sweet and sour dishes you need to adjust the chashni (seasoning).

Its a lovely book and now I have ordered one for myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars An non-Iranians View!, 28 Jun 2004
Having never even been to a Persian restaurant, practically married into an Iranian family & having a partner who extolls the virtue of Persian cuisine at a moments notice, I ordered this book with a view to seeing if I could pull off a full persian meal.
This book is fab - the recipes are incredibly easy to follow - even for a complete novice like me.
My only gripe about it is that where the bloomin heck am I meant to find things like persian limes, lavash bread & sumac in deepest darkest Berkshire??? The book could do a better job of giving some realistic alternatives.
Still - my persian cooking is now legendary to my in-laws so it can't be too far off the mark!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies (25th Anniversary Edition) (Hardcover)
This book is utterly divine. I bought it a number of years ago and used it for the first time to cater for a party - the food went down an absolute storm. I've recently rediscovered it and have begun cooking from it once more and it's every bit as wonderful as I remember. Today, for example, I tried the Barbari bread (amazing) and the other day tried the Almond Delight. I really cannot wait to get stuck in to more of this wonderful cuisine. If you love middle eastern food, Iranian food has quite an unusual twist with some of the flavours, then this book is for you. It is expensive, but personally I consider it an investment!
I wholly recommend trying to get hold of the specialised ingredients (I use an excellent place based near Ladbroke Grove in London, who do mail order and stock some of the more unusual ingredients), as they really do make a difference to the finished dish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook Book Around, 10 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is the best cookbook I own. Its layout is clear and simple. The recipies are easy to understand and clearly written. It is the most complete book I've ever seen. New food of life explains how to prepare fresh spice mixtures for it's own dishes, includes variants for different ways of preparing each dish, contains nice photos which help for presentation ideas, contains conversion tables for ovens, weights and measures as well as historical notes and even a list of Persian markets in the US. This is easily one of the most valuable cookbooks you will ever buy. It's definitely worth the money!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cookbook, 10 Nov 2011
This is an ideal book for anyone interested in Persian cooking and culture, which are deeply intertwined. I've tried several of the recipes and they are easy to follow, though it is directed at American cooks and I'm not American. I understand that the recipes in this book are quite authentic. It's also a great book just to read, and is beautifully presented. I've also got the Malouf book Saraban, which has the most gorgeous photos as well as good recipes, somewhat adapted for non-Persian cooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfect choice for those who eat with their eyes, 28 May 2000
By A Customer
The food of Iran is rich and varied and embraces some of the most sophisticated dishes to be found anywhere. This beautifully produced cookbook provides recipes for a wide range of mouthwatering creations for every occasion, from quick starters and snacks to robust, slowly cooked stews and exotic desserts. Readers may find some of the ingredients called for, such as angelica, barberries, unripe grape powder, sahlab, and quince blossoms, hard to find, but most staples are readily available at Middle Eastern groceries and well stocked supermarkets. There is much pleasure to be derived from merely looking at the stunning illustrations, which is reason enough to want to own this book.
Also recommended: "Recipes and Remembrances from an Eastern Mediterranean Kitchen", by Sonia Uvezian. This is a cookbook unlike any other and indispensable reading for lovers of Middle Eastern cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, 12 Mar 1999
By A Customer
EVERY and I mean EVERY cook should own this beautiful book. I have given this book out as a gift to a myriad of friends and they all have enjoyed it and found dishes to delight themselves and company with. This book is a must for the urban hip consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently designed with a wonderful array of Persian food, 1 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I was very impressed by the large number of recipes contained in this volume. It was also nice to read about the various holidays and their accompanying foods. I think the author did a great job offering such a variety, I found every Persian recipe I ever wanted all in this one book. The layout is very nice and the food is excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Bible for Persian Cooking., 30 April 2008
If you do not have any book of Persian cooking, this is the one to start with. You might find some spicies are diffcult to get, however, internet shops can help you. My favourate recipie is 'Aubergine and Lamb stew'. It takes a long time to cook according to this book, but I cook half of the steps the day before. One negative thing about this book is price. It is an expensive book, unfortunately.....

4.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Iranian cookbook, 16 Jan 2010
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is without doubt the best of the Iranian cookbooks I have, being quite comprehensive in its range of recipes. It includes plenty of good colour photography, albeit for only about half the recipes, information on ingredients and techniques, cultural information about Iranian ceremonies and what is eaten during them, ideas for menu building, plus plenty of historical information and anecdotes.

There is another book available by the same author which is in essence a cut-down version of this book, A Taste of Persia: An Introduction to Persian Cuisine. I also recommend Margaret Shaida's The Legendary Cuisine of Persia as a good introductory volume in Persian cuisine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›