Most helpful critical review
42 of 44 people found the following review helpful
on 13 December 2011
If it works, this is a great reading light. More below - but let's start with those first three words: "if it works".
I'm now on my third one of these in under two months. The first one lasted only 3 weeks before its first LED light conked out, and two weeks later its second LED joined it. (Each one has two LED lights.) Meantime, unaware that this was about to happen, I'd ordered a second light because I liked the light so much. The second one lasted just three days before both LEDs stopped working.
At that stage, I returned both of them as faulty, and asked for one refund and one replacement. No quibbles from the suppliers (all credit to them) ... so now I've got my money back on one of them, and a replacement for the other.
But even the third one is not working properly. Its first LED works OK, but right from day one, its second LED won't come on at first. However, I've found that if I don't switch it off, five or ten minutes later the second LED starts to falter slowly into life (you can watch it gathering strength!). Once both LEDs are working, if I switch it off, then straight back on again, both LEDs work OK; but if I switch it off, then leave it a while before switching it back on again, the saga starts again - every time.
Ordinarily, I would return this one too - it's indisputably faulty. However, even in this state, the light is usable, so I'm persevering, because (as I said up front) if it works, this is a great reading light - and I fear that yet another replacement would not even be as usable as this one. But I've had this one just eight days so far - will it stay like this, or will it die like its two predecessors? Watch this space ....
So much for the downside - now the upside (which is why I'm persevering). I've given this item the lowest rating possible, just to get this review read by potential buyers - but (if it works!!) it has a lot going for it.
1. The lights really are bright - even just one LED is often enough, the second is a bonus. But the lit area is confined to your book - other people are unaffected.
2. The flexible neck is good.
3. It's small and light (ie, not heavy - a light light!).
4. Despite that, it has a sizeable and powerful clamp, which opens to more than an inch wide, and stays firmly clamped. So you can clamp it onto lots of things, not just books (eg, a computer keyboard).
5. This sizeable clamp also houses the batteries, so it is able to use ordinary AAA batteries (3) rather than little non-rechargeable button batteries.
6. The weight of the clamp plus the batteries enables the whole thing simply to stand upright on its own (ie, unclamped) on a desk or whatever.
7. Power consumption is very low, and so battery life is very good - and as noted, you can always use rechargeable batteries anyway.
8. And if even that is a problem, it will also work from a mains adapter (not supplied, sadly, but obtainable).
So now you see why I'm persevering with this semi-faulty third one. Nothing else comes close ... IF IT WORKS!!!! Be warned.