4.0 out of 5 stars Good food, pity about the format
Published 2 months ago by Francis Bottomley

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps better for the American market?
Published 18 months ago by k80cbm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good food, pity about the format, 4 April 2015
Francis Bottomley (Teignmouth, Devon, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 30 Slow Cookers, 200 Amazing Recipes (Paperback)
I love this book, mostly. I like the recipes - great flavour - I am not used to that with my slow cooker; most have ingredients I can get here in the sticks - too many books ask for things I cannot find here in remote Devon. I like the presentation, and find the instructions easy to follow - where there is a technique that is not self-evident, like how best to toast almonds, it is explained somewhere in the book in a sidebar and cross-referenced wherever a recipe calls for that technique.

I expected there to be some "translation" issues, and there are. These vary from the names of ingredients, such as cuts of meat and herbs, to the brands of slow cooker generally available. For the former I use the internet; the latter I just ignore. I have a slow cooker already and have no intention of buying another one anyway.

My one really big frustration relates to the format of the book. The spine is so rigid that it won't stay open at the page unless I weigh it down somehow. I don't want to have to wash my hands everytome I need to check what I do next, nor do I want to damage the spine of the book. If there were ebook versions of this series on Amazon.co.uk as there are on Amazon.com, I would consider using those instead and take my kindle into the kitchen, even though the format is a bit small.

Four stars? - maybe a bit generous, but the recipes work for me and the food tastes good, and that, after all, is what it is all about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps better for the American market?, 21 Dec. 2013
It's essential to bear in mind that this book is published for the American market so the cuts of meat tend to be different & some ingredients aren't easy to source here. Likewise, some of the dishes are not really of much use - although in fairness that is bound to be the case with any recipe book. I tried the Goulash first, & found it pretty dull, but the beef Burgundy had plenty of flavour. So far, however, I've found as many reclines on the Internet (& particularly Mumsnet, at first) to be just as useful. For me, this book is no more than OK. Hope others are happier with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars There are some good recipes in here, 23 Sept. 2014
B. P. Zahl (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
There are some good recipes in here. Some of the recipes do require some prep work (browning meat, spices, etc on a pan) which is a little more labour intensive than simply chopping and putting everything in the slow cooker, but these steps are to compensate for the fact that slow cookers generally kill flavour and ensures that whatever comes out of the slow cooker actually tastes good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Slow Cooker bible (for Americans), 28 May 2013
I LOVE this cook book, though it should be noted I am American and therefore appreciate the American measurements described in this book. Recipes are tasty, easy, clearly described and easy to half for 2-3 people. Half a dozen of these recipes have become my go-to weeknight dinners. Also gives chopping advice. My slow cooker bible!

4.0 out of 5 stars useful book, 11 April 2013
M. Fogg (East Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I do like the extensive type of book as it covers most areas. Once again Test Kitchens cover every thing needed

Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 30 Slow Cookers, 200 Amazing Recipes
Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 30 Slow Cookers, 200 Amazing Recipes by Editors at America's Test Kitchen (Paperback - 15 Feb. 2011)