PULSE: The Complete Guide to Future Racing HC
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£45.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 February 2012
I think Harald Belker has to be one of my favourite designers. He belongs to that whole design studio press ethos and has worked extensively in the movie biz. I think his work and this book are a must for people who love this sort of stuff. I think the other review was rather unrealistic. If you like Scott Robertson, Sparth-esque type stuff and if you have any interest in design, you'll enjoy this book. This book is after all to be enjoyed. It isn't supposed to be a 'how to' draw like me book and nor does it claim to be. On that fact alone you should ignore the previous review. I might also add, if the work within this book is supposed to be college level work as the other reviewer suggests, well might I suggest, if your work looked like that at college, you must now be working for pixar or Lucas film by now?!

Nope? Didn't think so.

So if you want instruction, join Gnomon workshop online, or CGSociety. If you want a visual treat, and something to appreciate, this is worth a look. You can also go on the design studio press website to have a short preview of Harald Belker's offerings. In fact, youtube Harald Belker, if you are in any doubt and take a look for yourself.
on 11 December 2011
After seeing the preview of this book through the Sketchup feature I was hoping to see more technical process but none of the process is in fact in this book, what you get is a few high end renders of the vehicles, but the vaste majority of the illustrations are marker style and somewhat reminiscent of college work. I appreciate it's a big idea and required more illustrations than time might have provided, but on the whole the balance of content in this book seems a little wrong.

As an introduction to a grand concept it's fine if very contrived, however as a coffee table book of illustrations is falling short.
on 30 July 2015
I had high hopes for this book, but for the most part it is painfully repetitive in its imagery, with atrocious grammar and narrative that detracts hugely from the enjoyment of reading it. The author tries his best to create a believable world and technology, but the designs and concepts are painfully flawed and pure science fiction, not the futuristic vision he intended to lay out. The art style is modern and contemporary, though often very weak and wishy-washy with focus given only to one or two main designs, while the vast majority of other ideas are only lightly fleshed out.

Over all, I was not impressed- not a book worth buying unless you can get it for cheap or have an over-riding love of everything sci-fi, no matter how flawed.