1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An objective look at microfinance, 27 Jun. 2013
Peter Lloyd (Malta) - See all my reviews
Microfinance has a wonderful story to tell of lending to the poor women who set up small businesses that lift them out of poverty. Reading books like Yunus "Banker to the poor" inspire you with such stories. But then as microfinance expanded across the world some negative stories began appearing. So where does the truth lie? I was very impressed by this book that for me resembled an audit report although a lot more readable!The author did his research and highlighted the strengths and where microfinance was making a difference and the weaknesses where it did not seem to help or worse created more problems. The book is balanced, thorough and the method of checking out what was being written via blogs before publication is an interesting innovation.

As I am in the process of setting up a Microfinance Institution I have found the weaknesses highlighted to be very helpful as I think through our procedures to ensure that we address them. I remain an enthusiast for microfinance and still find the stories of transformed lives inspirational but this book provides a healthy reality check.

Due Diligence: What Social Investors Should Know About Microfinance
Due Diligence: What Social Investors Should Know About Microfinance by David Malin Roodman (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2011)