4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs Dan Brown?
Published on 28 Dec 2006 by D. Melbye

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not earth shattering
This is quite interesting and the graphics are great, I love the use of a very limited palatte of black, white and red. However, the story is a little predictable and the oncoming horror not as acute as it could be because the people dying are Death's Head Nazis who it is clear deserve everything coming to them.
Published on 25 Oct 2009 by Jo Bennie

4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs Dan Brown?, 28 Dec 2006
D. Melbye "Fat Tongue" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Keep (Paperback)
I used to be avid reader of graphic novels but stopped reading them for the last five years. Reading this has rejuvenated my interest in the form. It is the first peiece I have read by Wilson but look forward to reading his novels as the plot structure of this graphic novel was exceptional, with mystery layered upon mystery. The ambiguity of the characters was also brilliant. The end scene was a little disappointing but this was particially due to the level of fevourish anticipation created in the former scenes, and did not ditract from the brilliance of the work as a whole. Would recommend even if you are not a fan of the graphic novel format.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not earth shattering, 25 Oct 2009
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

4.0 out of 5 stars o cr(inaudible bleep) a graphic novel! BEWARE!, 2 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Keep (Paperback)
I ordered this from a different online seller, but I noticed that here, it's unclear as well that it is a graphic novel! BEWARE

When I ordered it I did notice it said "illustrations", however, it wasn't clear it was a graphic novel. An comic adaptation of F Paul Wilson's "The Keep"by F Paul Wilson.

Despite my initial disappointment -yes, silly old me had expected the novel- I started reading (watching?) ...

F Paul Wilson did a great job, adapting the novel into comic material.

As for the artwork by Mathew Smith works great too, don't go expecting artwork the likes Don Lawrence, Adi Granov, Segrelles, Richard Corben or the better Superhero stuff, I think you can compare it to Sin City. Does it work! Yes. Do I care that it's not a realistic style (my preferred style to read)? Heck No!

Matthew uses a nihilistic almost over-stylized hard-line black and white + one colour graphics and they work: they capture and engance the gothic atmosphere of the novel and give a surreal look to the whole. Not my preferred style, but it works very well!

4 stars for style, 1 for handing out correct information

1.0 out of 5 stars The Keep, 27 July 2007
J. M. Chapman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Keep (Paperback)
I did not realise I was ordering a comic!There is nothing in the description to suggest that this is NOT a proper novel.I am very dissapointed & will be returning this item.

The Keep
The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Paperback - May 2006)
Add to wishlist