Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2009
St Therese of Lisieux was deeply influenced by this book, which led to her life as a Carmelite and the development of her little way.
From the foreword the book was unknown and untranslated until the present translators got a copy and started their work.
Don't be put of by the strange and long title of the book, as it is an eminently sensible book and very up to date in the way it looks at issues around the end times, directly challenging us as to how we are to live our lives now as we do not know when and how Jesus will return.
He challenges an 18th C scientific view, but what he says is as relevant to people of faith in the 21st C when faced with challenging alternative views such as secularism or atheism.
I have found this book extremely interesting, and one which repays careful reading, study and reflection. It is good that people translated it and are able to pass the Abbe's thoughts to a different generation of people.
on 20 October 2012
I have really enjoyed this book, it is a wealth of information and I have gained great knowledge from reading it. I will read it again to refresh and appreciate its contents more. It has helped me to have a better understanding of Heaven and Purgatory and also how Jesus will help us to achieve what He has in His great Plan for us. A fascinating book which I'm grateful to have obtained a copy - many thanks to Fr Arminjon and our present translators for this wonderful book. I recommend this book it has made compulsive reading.
on 28 July 2011
This is a fascinating book with useful information. However it is written in an old language style of a previous era. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading the book and have highlighted what I consider important facts that I wanted to note for future reference. I would recommend this book to all those concerned about their souls for their is much to be gleaned about the future from this book. The editors are to be commended for giving us this book for it would be a great loss to the world. It is a book that you will want to read and highlight important facts to keep them for future reference and for passing on the knowledge to others.
on 14 January 2012
That's an excellent book. It deals with the mysteries of the world to come. It also mentions the Antichrist, the end of the world etc. but not from a sensational point of view. The great strength of the book is the descriptions of hell, heaven, purgatory. It gives an orthodox perspective, which is inspiring but not sentimental or cheap. I impressed by the phrase that we will love God with the love He loves Himself, of course this can be found in the writings of many theologians and spiritual writers and it can be traced in John 17. So this book does not contain any innovations, just solid doctrine.
on 3 April 2014
A book which is as relevant today as it was in the 19th century - probably even more so than then! This is a most powerful and enlightening book written by a professor of theology who, in my opinion, was inspired by the Holy Spirit in his writings! The book will be of interest to believers and unbelievers alike. I challenge non believers not to be stirred by the author's revelations on the afterlife which are both promising and frightening depending on your belief in Almighty God. It also offers hope to those readers who may think it's too late to change their lifestyles but the book conveys the message that it's NEVER too late to ask for God's help! I urge non believers in particular to read this book and, if they are not stirred by its contents, nothing more remains to be said!!!
on 14 June 2013
A must-read for Catholics. Charles Arminjon was a Catholic priest and was inspired to write this book. St Therese said it was the most inspiring book she had ever read!
on 10 June 2015
Absolutely fantastic book. How wonderful it is to be able to read in translation the book by Fr. Arminjon that so inspired Saint Therese of Lisieux. He manages somehow to take the mind away from its earth bound limitations and lift it up into the sphere of the spirit where the sheer joy of heaven becomes almost 'understandable'. Of course, we will never really understand such joy, even when we finally experience it, because we will never be able to encompass all that the infinite Trinity is. Ever. Never ever. Fr. Arminjon deals with the four last things, death, judgement, heaven and hell with insightful clarity, and the eternal horror of separation from God in hell as described should make any reader take due notice and want to put their life in order. Highly recommended.
on 21 May 2012
This is a wonderful book that inspired St Teresa of the Child Jesus. Good for those who like meditation. Arrived straight away on the kindle and was happy with the cheaper price. thanks to the seller. I do not know whether the priest thought that the world would end soon but it makes you think about your own mortality.
on 20 September 2014
lt reminded me of Mary's motherly love for us and just what Jesus suffered for our sake. It got me praying again
on 14 April 2010
amid the trouble and fears of the present day a very very invigorating reading...