5.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to do as the book being a paper back ..., 12 Aug 2014
K. A. Newton (North West England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Artful Color, Mindful Knits: The Definitive Guide to Working with Hand-dyed Yarn (Paperback)
I bought this book for a specific reason.

Trouble is I can't remember what the reason was. I have looked through it to see if there is a pattern or a garment I might have seen on the Ravelry website or somewhere else where the book's title might have been mentioned.

I am finding the book difficult to read - I cleaned my spectacles with a special wipe to make sure it wasn't those that were stopping me being able to read the book.

You see - - -

- - - it has been printed in a light coloured ink and I am having to either hold the book close to my eyes which means the letters are actually too big to focus on and if I want to scrutinise a picture with the words I have to move the book further from my eyes wich moves the pale words further away again.

The words are just too pale though large enough for me to read if they were in darker ink.

What a pity the book was not on kindle. I could keep changing the page on Kindle for PC to white lettering on black to read it and back to ordinary background for looking at the pictures.

Is it just my copy of the book or is it that every copy is the same ?

I'm going to have to sit back and hold the book close to find out why I bought it. Not easy to do as the book being a paper back version is a bit floppy.

The book is well worth the cash though for hand knitters or machine knitters seeking an out of the ordinary result in their knitting.

The author even mentions a technique that I learnt from an old lady in a wool shop one day. I was a young hard up Mum in those days and was looking through a bargain tub. There was not enough in one colour of the same thickness to make my young daughter a sweater.

The old lady realised what I was looking for and picked out three toning shades of blue and told me to pick out one of my stocking stitch knitting patterns and to knit the rib (welt) in one of the three colours then change to stocking stitch and work one row and pe row only in each colour. Changing the yarn after one row it is so easy to do. You do not break off the yarn as you just keep knitting doing knit a row and purl a row - but change to the next colour which is waiting for you at the end of each row. You can only do this with three colours.

The single rows of stripes - shown in the knit stitches on the knit side of the fabric look good if you chose three shades of a colour where no two of the three are very similar. BUT THE PURL SIDE is exquisite - the purl stitches on the purl side of the knitting of course interweave with each other and they look fabulous.

The choices of the shades make the difference of course. Using unrelated colours such as Red, White and Blue would just any old combination of colours striped on the knit side of the work but using toning shades really makes it work.

I remember making mohair sweaters for my daughter out of three balls of toning shades - using larger needles so there was space between the stitches and rows and the hairiness of the three colours of hairy yarn intermingling with the purl stitches as well gave the sweaters a really expensive look using the purl side as the right side of the work. I wish I had had a pound for every compliment we got for my daughter's sweaters. I remember doing three shades of pin from a Medium pink to darker shade to darker pink almost pinky purple. I hand knitted the tuck stitch that creates dimples on the surface. Then did another in four shades of turquoise.

In those days 100 gram balls were far and between and four bargain 50 gram balls, ( two balls the same shade thus that was the shade used for the ribs (welts) and neckband and two balls in different toning shades made these wonderful sweaters and cardigans.

Ribs and neckband in one shade A then knitted the tuckstitch in the three colours B C and D and then using the shade A to work two plain rows (your other three shades remain at the row ends) which knit the tucked stitches then went back to working tuck stitch with B C and D. This meant shade A formed a border of colour around each dimple.

You can utilise four shades in single row stripes if you use a circular needle and slide the work along the circular needle when you need the 4th colour.

Have a go with three shades of one colour first - just doing stocking stitch.

I keep meaning to try doing garter stitch with three shades changing the yarn at every row's end.

You can use any knitting pattern with a garment knitted in stocking stitch for this technique.

Happy knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 1 July 2014
Well put together, Brilliant illustrations

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring !!, 31 Oct 2013
This is a book for both the expert and the beginner. A joy to own. If this doesn't get you going nothing will.

11.89