on 3 October 2010
Sock Knitters aren't usually classed as being seekers after excitement are they? Usually we just sit quietly and knit and think our own thoughts, don't they? Besides, we are often from the older generation and therefore set in our ways and couldn't possibly be taught - or want - anything different, could we? Wrong! Some of us are seekers after wisdom and innovative ideas so if you are interested in something just a bit different and have an obsession with discovering new and fantastic ways of knitting socks, this is a book for us. I started on 'Snow Under Cedars' and quickly became immersed in a new way (for me at least) of knitting the sole of a sock, 2-colour vikkel braid and a 2-colour cast on - all with reasonable illustrations on how to do them. In short, I'm amazing myself.

All in all, this book is a feast of sockie indulgence for the Fearless Knitter - and with loads of patterns for new-to-socks knitters as well - no horror stories to tell of Knitters being driven to despair by the patterns! If you are happy knitting bog-standard socks with self-striping yarn, then good for you - they have their place in every sock drawer - but for those wanting to extend their knowledge in an enjoyable and painless way, grab a copy and share in the satisfaction.
on 24 September 2010
This was a really good purchase for me. It's full of good info and diagrams and really different sock designs. I dom't know which to start with! For those into crafts, particularly socks who rely on following a pattern I can't recommend this book highly enough! Plenty to keep you occupied during the coming winter months! Happy knitting!
on 31 December 2010
My wife borrowed this book from a friend, but I managed to spill tea all over it. I purchased a replacement for our friend who was very please to receive it - she loved the book originally. My wife remains equally pleased with her tea stained copy. I guess if you like knitting this is the book for you! :-)
on 27 May 2014
A nice colourful book, with a lot of different sock patterns in. Some are most unusual, but the indtructions could be a bvit better. I wanted this for one particular pattern the woven effect sox but I struggle to see how the heel was turned (and I am no beginner to knitting). There are some really lovely designs and I will aim to turn them into toe up sox where they are not.
on 7 April 2016
I was very impressed when this book arrived as it was more substantial than I thought it would be. It is packed full of wonderful sock patterns, each with colour photos. My only slight concern is that a lot of the socks look very complicated, although they are all rated according to difficulty.
There is a very useful glossary of knitting techniques at the end. Overall a fabulous book and I shall spend many happy hours browsing it, and hopefully pluck up the courage to make the ones on the cover, which I simply adore.
on 26 December 2010
The cover alone on this book had me sold, I have recently tackled sock knitting and have quickly become an addict. The patterns in this book provide a large variety of styles and levels of difficulty to try and the skills involved have been well explained and laid out visually . Terrific book.
on 29 January 2015
This book is excellent value for money. I will knit a good proportion of the socks in the book. There is a wide range of skills and techniques to work through at all levels of abilities and new things to learn, however I find some of the information is not well explained and could have been better laid out for ease of access to it.
on 26 December 2011
Well worth it just for the pattern on the fromt cover, but many other socks I want to try. Not a good purchase if you are a beginner but for anyone that loves knitting socks this is a good purchase.
on 21 November 2012
Exclellent selection of all manner of socks, with some ingenious ideas, eg the Double Knit pair. A challenge for even the most adventurous of knitters.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 November 2010
All designs imaginable in this book featuring socks from a contest. Designs were submitted from seven countries. Over 60 winning designs are featured. This book certainly pushed the boundaries. I looked through the book first and chose my winners. When I got to the back of the book, I have to say I preferred the one that won third prize and also greatly favoured the leaf socks, titled 'In The Peaceful Forest' by Sandy Moore. The book includes tips and techniques, illustrated patterns and all instructions. There is more than enough to satisfy the average sock knitter for a long, long time. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book reviews website.