5.0 out of 5 stars New ideas
I recently purchased this after reading some of the other reviews and what a fantastic buy.
Published on 21 July 2010 by Carol

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 22 months ago by B. Dwyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New ideas, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Swing Swagger Drape: Knit the Colours of Australia (Paperback)
The patterns are certainly different and one of the things I like about it is that the garments are made mostly in DK which is readily available. Some books that you buy use yarns that are difficult to purchase unless you live in that country. This book has a table at the back which gives the equivalent yarns to lightweight, lace etc and is really helpful.
I showed this book to a couple of friends at work and said book came back with little post its in saying knit me this one please.
For myself I don't know which one I would pick first as I like so many. Start at the front I suppose and work through!!!!!
Would thoroughly recommend this book to any keen knitter who would like something different. The garments are also shown in different colour combinations and its amazing how different they look. It will make you want to do some of the patterns more than once in different colours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 25 Oct 2010
Mrs. F. Thomson "50 something, with a liking ... (Carnoustie, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with the cardigan on the front of this book and would happily have paid the price of the book for that pattern alone! However, when the book arrived it is a beautiful soft covered volume full of wonderful patterns, the only decision is which to do first?! The photography is stunning, the patterns, although not easy, are very well laid out and I am sure will be easy to follow, but this is not for a beginner. Each design is shown in more than one colour variation and it is amazing how different they all look. Worth every penny and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exciting knitting books I have seen, 10 Dec 2009
Ms. S. Roscoe "Sharzella" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
A truly wonderful book, to inspire and teach.

Exciting designs in 'real' sizes, help on selecting and experimenting with colour ways and lots of tips about sizing and fitting. The layout is well thought out and fresh to the eye and photographs of the same garment in different lengths and colours show how easy it is to make a unique garment. I can't wait to get started

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 10 Dec 2009
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Wow, transport yourself to Australia with this collection of tremendous knits. I like most of the knits in this book. Jane has gone out there, researched, brought her own style and shape to knitting and it works. She is my number one favourite knitwear designer of the moment.

Another thing I love about this book is the design of it, the layout and photography set this book apart from any other I have seen recently. It really is wow! (that's why I've said that twice). The collection includes knits fro men, women and children including bags and hats, but the essence is on style, fit and looking great. Patterns include simple stitching for beginners to complex challenging shaping for the experienced. Some of the colourways don't quite work for me, but hey this is almost knitting perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 30 Dec 2010
fabulous book, lots of very makeable patterns. I bought it for the jacket on the front which I have made and it came out precisely as pictured. quiet challenging to get the row counts right all the time though. I found the instructions fairly easy to follow (I've been knitting for over 40 years)and the samples and helpful charts in the back a really useful reference for other patterns too.

5.0 out of 5 stars swing,swagger, drape, 12 April 2010
this book is fantastic. the colour pictures are so beautiful. The information is clear, consise and fun. The [patterns and instructions are very easy to follow, although the layout is different from the usual pattern format. and it is easy to try a little bit, and then work up to a larger part. it was fun to read and a good addition to my craft books section.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Sep 2012
B. Dwyer "bdwyer01" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I fell in love with the jacket on the front and it is beautiful and relatively easy to knit WHEN you have found all the relevant tips and patterns!. The pattern starts on one page then refers you to another page and then you have to look at a different page to work out how to join everything together. I think beginners would find this difficult to follow. I will admit to being a "dipper" so maybe if I was more disciplined and had read everything through thoroughly this wouldn't have been a problem. The photography and production is excellent. I did like the different colour combinations of the jackets. Bear in mind this is published in America so some of the terminology may be unfamiliar but there is a comprehensive explanation of all the knitting terms at the back.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful book, 29 Jan 2012
This book contains excellent patterns that fit a good range of sizes. Not every pattern covers the very largest sizes but generally there is enough in here for most people. I am an experienced knitter & I am used to following patterns that are written in formats other than the normal blind list of instructions that make up most English patterns. I found this book easy to follow, the description of how to do domino knitting was the best I have ever read. There are one or 2 places where you have to jump to another section to get an explanation of a stitch or technique but I didn't find that too annoying. I would suggest if you want to follow one of the more tricky patterns in here that you spend an hour or so reading the book & all will become clear. i enjoyed the narrative parts & although the photo's by her brother were attractive & showed exactly where her inspiration for the designs came from I did rather wish that the ones of finished garments had been slightly more in focus. It would have helped when following the patterns. The yarns used are a mixture of double knitting & some which are similar to US worstead requiring a guage of 20 st to 4 in. Much of the shaping relies on changing needle sizes to make larger or smaller areas of the garment so I would recommend that you shop around if you want to make something that needs that tension as standard dk would not work too well for those garments but a quick look at a quality on line retailer or visit to a modern wool shop would soon solve those problems. I had no difficulty matching up suitable yarns. Overall I think if you are a beginner some of these designs might be a bit daunting unless you have support available, but an intermediate knitter who has patience & determination could complete anything from this & would learn a lot while an experienced knitter who is not too tied to the standard English knitting pattern could have a pattern library that would stand them in good stead for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite knitting book, 7 April 2011
Mrs. P. Chew (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book a year ago and thought I would wait until I had knitted at least one garment from it before writing a review. Can't fault it! I knitted the longer length modular swagger coat and now it is finished wear it constantly - definitely turns heads! I have so many comments from people stopping me to ask where I purchased the coat from! The instructions phased me a bit at first because I tried to read them through before starting - just start with the first modular square and it all becomes clear as you go along. It ended up being so easy but looks fantastic and is comfortable to wear. The photography is stunning - and clear, in so many pattern books the photos are so dark you can't see the garment properly. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour, Texture and Shape, 15 Feb 2011
Swing, Swagger, Drape is a set of exercises in shaping and texture as well as in colour. In fact many of the colour blocked designs could be given a more subtle treatment as monochrome and still be glorious projects. Most of the patterns are for coats and jackets (several variants on the stunning cover design) although there are a couple of hats and a bag if you need something for knitting on the move. The pictures are beautiful, the projects are for wearable, if theatrical, designs and the book is well-presented overall. A fine addition to any knitter's bookshelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Swing Swagger Drape: Knit the Colours of Australia
Swing Swagger Drape: Knit the Colours of Australia by Jane Slicer-Smith (Paperback - 5 Nov 2009)
15.40