Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2006
Amazing selection of knitted flowers.Plenty of room for creativity as there is a wide selection of wonderful flowers using plenty of interesting yarns.The yarns are from other countries but will easily be substituted with growing number of yarns being produced in the uk. The extra patterns included show of the knitted masterpieces wonderfully and include cushion,bag,wrap,ponchette and hat.There are 5 chapters covering stitch pattern flowers/petal constructed flowers/cord flowers/felted stitch pattern flowers/felted cut flowers.I have been knitting for over 40 years and this is the book I have been waiting for.Only one critisism I wish we could be shown a little preview of the contents of books as other sites do as this publication is just too beautiful for words.Only personal drawback for me there is not enough spare hours in a day to complete all the projects.
22 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2009
I bought this together with another book (100 flowers to knit and crochet). This one arrived first. Nice photos and clear instructions,the book is divided into sections of flowers made by knitting, felting, petal constructed etc.. however some of the patterns are not particularly attractive in my opinion. I much prefered the other book which has far more to choose from and the flowers in it are recognisably differing species such as poppies, fusias, lavender and many more. However as the title suggests it's not just knitted and you would need to be able to follow very simple crocheting instructions.
I wish there was a higher star rating to give this book. It's wonderful.

I'm not a great knitter. I can't knit adult size clothes, or anything on circular needles. But these flower patterns are amazing. They're so simple, and the results are glorious. I've got way too many odd ends of yarns and single balls stashed in odd boxes, and this is the perfect way to use them up.

The finished flowers are so lovely I've ended up sticking them all over the place. They're on bags, on coats, on scarves and generally all around the house!

This is probably the most loved knitting book in my little collection.
on 24 May 2008
This book looks fabulous. I've only just received it and can't wait to start. There are loads of different flowers to knit - some look as if they have been crocheted but are definitely knitted - important if you can't crochet! I agree with the other review that it would be worth making this a 'search inside' book as seeing all the gorgeous pictures would just make you want to buy this book. The only slight criticism I have is that it doesn't tell you whether the wool is double knitting, four ply etc but I'm sure that can be overcome by knitting a tension square.
on 30 April 2006
Absolutely brilliant- haven't stopped knitting since it arrived!1This ia an American book which initially looked daunting but the abbreviations are really clearly explained at the back. Loads of different ideas to experiment with any wool and any needles
on 5 July 2008
What a lovely book, the cover does not do the book justice as the flowers in the book just get better and better, I will certainly buy other books by Nicky Epstein and just know I will have many hours of creativity with this one. I defy anyone to be dissapointed with this book.
on 5 October 2008
This book is inspirational and very beautiful. There is definitely something for every level of knitter. The projects are an excellent way to use up the scraps of wool we all have lying about in the bottom of our knitting bags. It's fun to do something different to jumpers and if you enjoy making jumpers what about adorning them with some of these flowers?
on 30 April 2011
a nice book with beautiful flowers to make. suggested yarns are a little tricky to find and pricey, i had hoped they'd suggest a yarn maybe but then comment how alternatives might be a good idea too. i think if you source the exact yarns for these projects you'll make some beautiful peices. i think the book will just be part of my collection rather than something i pull out to use often.
on 20 June 2009
Very creative ways of making beautiful flowers.. I never knew there were so many ways to knit flowers
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 June 2011
This was the first book I bought on the subject of knitted flowers.
The photos are amazing and its a book I treasure BUT,
if you really want your efforts to be identical to the images in the book,
you have to know a lot more about knitting, so I would use this book as
a springboard for further study.

For instance, the Wallflower on page 68 is an extremely clever design but
the instructions are very succinct. She tells you to Cast On an extra stitch to
increase. Sorry, but in my view, this is not enough. Casting On mid-row, is a procedure
referred to in Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears and there are 2 ways to do this
technique, one will be right slanting, the other will be left slanting.

If you know all of that, your Wallflower will look like the one in the picture, if you don't you will
abandon the project.

She also uses CDD and SSK a lot.
CDD is quite hard for a lot of people to understand, if you Google it, you will see I am right.
Its the most wonderful double decrease but again, it implies prior knowledge.

SSK is my favourite decrease BUT, SSK Improved is a much neater match for K2Tog.

In other words, this is not a book for a beginner, in my opinion.