5.0 out of 5 stars The purrrrfect accompaniment to Save The Cat!
I'll tell you up-front that I'm a huge fan of the Save The Cat! If you want to write a sellable screenplay then it's just about the best, and friendliest, book I've read on how to build your story and it lives right next to my keyboard as a constant reference.

Published on 31 Oct 2007 by R. Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book
I was not as happy as I was when I read Blakes first book, I did not learn very much from this book, it more or less repeats from the first book.
Published 5 months ago by Harry

5.0 out of 5 stars The purrrrfect accompaniment to Save The Cat!, 31 Oct 2007
This review is from: Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies: The Screenwriter's Guide to Every Story Ever Told (Paperback)

Anyway, I've just finished reading STC! Goes To The Movies and I have to say I wasn't left wanting. In this second book Blake Snyder digs deeper into the construction of a screenplay by helping you to know what kind of story you're writing. But it's more than just genre. I mean, sure, you're writing an action movie, but what kind of action movie are you writing? A Golden Fleece? A Dude With A Problem? A Buddy Love?

Blake expertly boils down each of these 'story types' into 3 key elements, explains the way these elements come together on the page and then illustrates it all using 4 or 5 relevant films - matching them to the BS2 beat sheet from book one - and makes it all easy to understand and much less complex. I was astonished to see how a film like 'Plains, Trains & Automobiles' can sit alongside 'Easy Rider' and actually be the same story type, but they do, and it make sense!

STC! Goes To The Movies makes a terrific accompaniment to STC! and, for me at least, is destined to become just as well thumbed a point of reference for those cold, dark nights of the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Buy, 2 Sep 2011
This is a must buy for screenwriters and other storytellers should find it helpful. It's written by a practitioner and not a theorist consequently, it's practical and has hands on advice. It's also a fun read. I think the strap line of 'The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need' is a little over the top. But, if more people read this book, there would be fewer duff scripts circulating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standws Above the rest, 16 Oct 2010
This is by far one of the best books on screen writing available, Blake Snyder condenses 40 odd years of hard-work and toil in the film writing industry, down into three books (this being the second) If there are any budding screen writers out there the knowledge in this book is outstanding and simple to understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get This One if Your Serious About Writing!, 27 April 2013
Takes a while to decipher....but provides a practical application of the Hero's Journey model. You'll enjoy & use it, Im sure!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, 15 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Nov 2014
Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 27 July 2014
What can I say - it's one of the Save the Cat books. It should be in every writer's shelf. It's very useful for understanding the STC beat sheet. I hadn't seen all of the films mentioned. I'll probably look out for them now.