4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Introspective and Sincere
I got 'Lost at Sea' as an already avid 'Scott Pilgrim' reader and having caught glimpses of O'Malley's earlier work on his website. Don't approach the book expecting it to be more 'Scott Pilgrim' style frenetic hijinks; it's a lot more introspective, but it's very sweet in its own way. While the art and story are both less polished than the later work, lacking the...
Published on 3 Dec 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Man, first love. Like, wow
Four college age kids are driving back home for the holidays. Three of them are good friends while the fourth, the girl and main character of the story Raleigh, is a casual acquaintance. It becomes clear from her silence that Raleigh is a troubled girl and as the journey goes on they begin to discover that Raleigh's silence is due to a broken heart from a recently ended...
Published on 3 April 2011 by Sam Quixote

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, 30 Nov 2013
Mr_Thyroid (newport pagnell, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
This is very much a short story - I read it in little over half an hour. But it has some nice bits, nice little bits of humour, some weirdness and a little bit of creepy, however it doesn't really go anywhere and in the end it's all rather unsatisfactory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Scott pilgirm? Read this!, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
If you are fan of Bryan Lee O'Maliey and his Scott Pilgrim series or even if you aren't I would still recommend this graphic novel to those venturing into the world of comics for the first time. The art style epitomises what the author is all about along with the writing style. The lead character is interesting enough for you to read from cover to cover and the pay off is worth it.

In summary, Get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
Bryan Lee O'Malley's works have a unique character to them you can't find anywhere else. Highly recommend this along with his other work Scott Pilgrim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, but not funny like scott pilgrim, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
Nice book, much more emotional, and a lot less humour than Scott Pilgrim, but i'd recommend if you like O'Malley's work. Don't buy if you're looking for humour, but I was surprised by how much I liked it!
Nice short read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freebie, 19 April 2013
Brian Taylor (Stockton-on-Tees, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
This came as a freebie with my purchase of the Scott Pilgrim books this turned out to be a great read definitely worth a stand alone purchase :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but no Scott Pilgrim., 17 Mar 2013
See above ^
This book is enjoyable but I find it doesn't offer the depth of character that the Pilgrim volume do. The story is short and cn be read in no time, and although it is entertaining and in parts profound, it didn't leave me satisfied as a reader. I would stick recommend Pilgrim to anyone new to O'Malley and tell them to leave this one to the hardcore fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Thought Provoking, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
Being an avid fan of the Scott Pilgrim books so I was excited to read another book from Bryan Lee O'Malley. To an extent I was disappointed as there was not as much humour in it as the Scott Pilgrim books but it was still a great read as it gets you thinking about the subtext and shows real understanding of the teenage mind (even if it is about a girl who claims cats stole her soul)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute!, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
I liked this quirky little book. The art is really cute and the story is silly and meaningful at the same time. And there's lots of cats. I love cats.

I felt horrible a lot of the time when I was a teenager. I constantly judged myself based on how I was different from other people. I was quiet and shy and tongue-tied because I thought everything I said was stupid or uncool. I could not speak to boys. Except online. There I was funny and sarcastic and outgoing and everything I wanted to be. Then I would see the boys I had talked to online at school and completely clam up. So I could definitely relate to Raleigh, the socially awkward main character who is painfully confused about her identity. It is hard being a teenager and hurts like hell....I think adults need to remember that more.

I also like the way nothing is really explained. Her mum? Stillman? How she got in the car? Everything is confusion and uncertainty; the feeling I know I had right through my teen years. This book was unsettling and quite heart wrenching for me and made me want to be able to go back and tell a teenage me 'JUST BE COMFORTABLE WITH HOW YOU ARE STOP WORRYING ABOUT LOOKING STUPID!' Easier said than done- for me and Raleigh!

4.0 out of 5 stars I you liked Scott Pilgrim you won't necessarily like this..., 9 May 2011
F. Tzellos "fod" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
...But you probably will. The art style is different, the story progression is wildly different, and overall you get the impression that someone other than Brian Lee O'Malley wrote this. To be frank this just goes to show what range this guy is capable of, and I'm excited to see what comes next. The story follows a girl on a road trip going through some typical teen drama, but it's well presented and you do end up relating to the characters. It's a quick read you can blast through over a few tube trips, but I have a feeling it could be something you end up returning to. Great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read., 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Lost At Sea (Paperback)
This is a great read if you also like the scott pilgrim books.
same type of humour.
really recommend this book, nice short read.

Lost At Sea
Lost At Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Paperback - 3 May 2005)