4.0 out of 5 stars Damaged by the authors criminality..., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Technological Slavery (Paperback)
A collection of Kaczynski's writings in which he describes his luddite outlook. His nomenclature, 'new leftishness', and subsequent description of stereotypical activities (surrogate activities) I found at times quite comical, to some extent due to its accuracy. Although I am not sure that was the authors intention. The articles in this book are clumsy and chaotic, but the author makes a lucid point which has caused me to consider my own relationship with technology. Is his point revolutionary? I hardly think so. I would argue that anyone who has been educated in the last 40yrs recognises that we in the west are gradually making life more difficult for people everywhere else due to our consumerism and increasing reliance on technology. Will we have less independence from technologies trumpeted to make our lives more creative? Most definitely. Will we end the world by this behaviour? most probably. But the sad truth is this isn't going to stop us. Nor will the author see the revolt he predicts/hopes for. I enjoyed the book, it's damaged by the authors criminality but at least you can read it knowing that due to America's penal system he won't profit from it or the pain he has caused his victim's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I was expecting., 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Technological Slavery (Paperback)
The author's foreword sets the tone perfectly for Kaczynski's writings, and that the author has had numerous correspondence with Kaczynski leads to more credibility. Far from just being a technological rant, it is an in depth review and analysis of our entire culture and history pertaining to the relevant subject matter (ie, technological slavery). It touches on ancient and modern civilizations and tribes, nature and environmentalism, philosophy and psychology of the modern world and the natural, free and wild world in which he wishes to retreat, and how the two are in direct opposition. There are also letters that he has mailed to various people in the book as well as an added bonus. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars panic button, 5 Jan 2011
Niki Astley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Technological Slavery (Paperback)
an urgent message demanding the near impossible abolishment of all 'technology'--meaning everything from the written word to modern medicine and the aeroplane...that these so called 'benefits to mankind' will push us to endless indignity and possible destruction seems a tragic and ironic impasse

Technological Slavery
Technological Slavery by David Skrbina Theodore J. Kaczynski (Paperback - 14 Oct 2010)