5.0 out of 5 stars Asperger's and Girls
I found this book really good.It is very informative, and gives lots of good advice, as well as ideas on how to tackle different problems. I find that I like to keep picking it up and reading bits of it for ideas. It is a book I would recommend for its' mine of information to help make the life of any female with Asperger's and their relatives more rewarding.
Published on 28 Mar. 2009 by Ms. Rachel J. Carter

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing
Published on 7 July 2009 by Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Asperger's and Girls, 28 Mar. 2009
Ms. Rachel J. Carter (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Asperger Girls, 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
I bought this book when my daughter was in the process of being diagnosed with aspergers. It is a a fantastic book although it is more geared for teenage girls and upwards. I will definately be using the book in a few years time but in the meantime I have bought Aspergers for parents bythe same author and that book is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Voice of Reason, Rays of Hope, 2 Sept. 2007
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
It's high time a book about girls with Asperger's joined the growing plethora of autism/Asperger's (a/A) literature. This is an excellent book that discusses a previously overlooked population, girls on the spectrum. "Women From Another Planet: Our Lives in the Universe of Autism" is the ideal companion book to this one as it is a compilation of essays by and about women who are on the spectrum.

How I wish I had this book when I was a tween! It is very enlightening and empowering. Drs. Attwood and Grandin offer their input and I raise my glass to Dr. Attwood for removing the stigma from autism. I think his words of wisdom deserve a place of high honor among a/A and NT (neurotypical) alike. Hats off to Dr. Attwood!

This brilliant and sorely needed work illustrates the social challenges girls with Asperger's face; it offers a nonjudgmental look at how Asperger's behavior is often mistinterpreted by the NT world. Authors McIlwee and Iland are personally involved with Asperger's; McIlwee has Asperger's and Iland's brother and some of her friends are on the spectrum. Hats off to these women for describing the challenges girls with Asperger's face and for speaking to tolerance and the rationale for behaviors that most of the NT world condemns.

This book will take all readers through the emotional spectrum; you will run the gamut from anger; tears; laughter; surprise and hope. Hope is the silver thread that runs throughout this book and is what connects every passage. That silver thread is really a common thread that links all individuals, a/A and NT alike. This book is the voice of reason and hope. We need this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
This book about Aspergers syndrome was such a dissapointment. I had so looked forward to a book specifically relating to girs with AS but such a let down.... It was the worst book that I have read on Aspergers generally (and I have read a great number) and certaily was no help to me in improving my understanding of how to relate to a girl/woman with the syndrome. It was disjointed -consisting of individual contributions and provided no coherent approach to girls/women with AS as distinct from boys/men. A really helpful book on girls and AS has yet to be written as far as I'm concerned.

3.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
Very Sad as this book was not what I expected. It is too clinical and not an easy read. It is informative but I was told originally it was more like a story. This is definitely not like a story. Also there are conflicting views from the authors which makes assessing the content rather difficult. I needed information about girls with Aspergers on a personal level - something that was easily digested. readable and memorable. This has all the facts if that is all you want BUT not an easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 31 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
I was looking for a book that would help me to recognise signs of Asperger's Syndrome in girls of Infant School age (around 5-7) This book did not do that but it gave a really interesting insight into what it is like for women and older girls with autism, and I read it in an afternoon because I found it so interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I wanted, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
A well written and informative book. Unfortunately it was not quite what I wanted and I felt a little mis-led by the blurb. It may have been that I missed the point in my eagerness to get my hands on further information. Still worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
This book is just my daughter all over, from start to finish, so much so I have marked out chunks to show her doctor, I have ordered the way I see it, aswell and I can't wait to start this one. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book about Asperger's and females, 26 Jun. 2012
Catmint (Exeter, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
This book is absolutely fantastic for anyone who either knows a female with Asperger's or is a female Aspie themselves. It covers everything and it is wonderful to finally find a female-specific book about AS because there *are* differences between males and females with AS. I've gone through my copy several times and made copious notes; it has great detail about a wide range of issues. I plan to get my mother a copy in order for her to understand me better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asperger's and Girls Tony Attwood, 4 Feb. 2015
C. L. Podbery - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asperger's and Girls (Paperback)
This book is a collection of observations, explainations and advice from different authors on different aspects of being a female Aspie.

Each section is written by a different author, allowing the best advice to be offered as these authors seem to specialise in the area they are talking about. There are links to other books and other information also.

This book is not patronising in any way and is therefore suitable for the Asperger's female themselves or friends, family, educators etc.

A big message throughout is how different the females are from the males in having Aspergers (and explains why) and that girls are often diagnosed later than boys, even as late as adulthood.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who knows a female Aspie.

Asperger's and Girls
Asperger's and Girls by Mary Wrobel (Paperback - 31 Dec. 2006)