5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!!
Published on 9 Nov. 2007 by A. D. Bell

2.0 out of 5 stars ABOUT AUTISM
I BOUGHT THIS BOOK AS I WANTED FURTHER INFO RE MY SON BUT I FOUND THE BOOK A BIT TOO TECHNICAL FOR ME & MAYBE NOT APPROPRIATE. I WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE HABITS OF AUTISM CHILDREN & WHAT I AS A PARENT CAN DO TO HELP. IT DIDN'T GIVE ME THIS INFORMATION. DISAPPOINTED.
Published on 23 Nov. 2009 by Joanna Betts

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!!, 9 Nov. 2007
A. D. Bell (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew (Paperback)
I was optimistic about reading this book. Things seem to be a whole lot worse after you have read about your childs problems, but not with this book, it's really, really good. Informative, truthful, easy to read and understand. This book has helped me understand my little girls world a bit better and to me that is an achievement for her and for me!! This gave me a much clearer picture of how she interprets things and how bad things can get for her(smells, sounds, lighting etc).If you need to know more about AS then, please read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 25 Feb. 2008
I bought this book to learn more about Autism as my son was recently diagnosed as being on the spectrum. This is a fantastic book and clearly explains how and why the child reacts in certain ways and situations. I'd recommend it to anyone dealing with a child with Autism; parents, carers, teaching assistants etc to give a brilliant insight into the child's mind. It's been such an insightful book that I've now bought 2 extra copies to loan to people who are working with my son. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ASD, 10 Dec. 2007
R. Mavin "rachelmc67" (South shields) - See all my reviews
i have to comment on this very informative book. i myself have asperger syndrome and my brother has autism. this book is very good if you want to gain knowledge of the condition. it is good for parents and offers strategies to help. very enjoyable to read and it has opened my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, why didnt i already know this!!!!, 1 April 2011
Being a mother of a autistic child, i honestly go out of my way to make sure that the world accepts her, i bought this book just for a read, i thought i knew it all, i know every inch of my little girl, how many freckles she has on her cheeks, how many teeth top and bottom, she is my world and being autistic has challenged my world to make it a better place for anyone living with a disability has social acceptance from those ignorant people who i once was. reading this book the emotions i felt, the understanding it gave me i didnt know was possible, it gave me hope and strength to understand what goes on my my little girls head, the one place i cannot protect or wrap in cotton wool, this book should be given to every parent, grandparent, friend who has a child with autism, the day the doctor told us the news we came home with paper work and leaflets and a list of websites to have a look, this book is all of them in one, plus more, this book is not what doctors or health visitors have been trained to tell you will happen or could happen, this book is from the heart, it makes thinks so much more simple, it helps you feel normal and in control of the wonderful life of having a child with autism if you let it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful overview, 6 Mar. 2007
A. Clarke (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
The opening chapters of this book and the list of "Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew" give a useful overview and might be very helpful to newcomers to autism, or to those whose child has recently been diagnosed. The book focuses on explaining the reasons for various behaviours and as such gives a very useful insight into autism. I felt the book was limited by the author's experience of her own child. The many references to the author's son and his achievments, and her proudest moments, could be daunting for any parent of a child with autism and very severe language and communication difficulty and associated learning difficulty. The reality of day to day achievements for such parents might be very different from those portrayed in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be given on the NHS!, 2 Oct. 2010
I read this book cover to cover and it explains very well the clear reality of having a beautifully autistic child! Every parent who is in the process of finding out and or having their child diagnosed for autism should be given this book on the NHS! It promotes the positve side to having an Autistic child, to be loved and appreciated for all their fuuny little ways, as should all children!
One day i hope to accomplish a book like this myself as I am very aware that through the processes of now finding out if my son has high functioning-Aspergers the same as my daughter, the sad yet happy fact is that Autism is majoritively genetically passed on. I am now being diagnosed myself, i just didn't know! But I have a point of view that goes one step beyond this book and that is coping with being Autistic and understanding the world, myself and Autistic children! And also being the child and having an Autistic parent and siblings!
All i can say to other parents is take your time and accept the beautiful differences with open arms and gain control of the bad ones, they rely to you to show them the way- be their light and they will be yours in return!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jan. 2010
W. Hutchinson "whutchin2" (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This has helped my wife and me develop an understanding of the behaviour my grandson who is autistic. More than that, it has opened up a comprehension of the subject that will enable us to cope in a way that is beneficial to the boy and those who are close to him. This way his life will be more fulfilled and so will everyone else's. Many thanks to the author. I have bought two more copies to spread around the family. Highly recommended if you are involved with an autistic child and need to have some understanding of how to gain the best life for you both.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ought a known this!, 6 Jun. 2009
This was a brilliant overview of what people suffering from Autism would like others to know, only overshadowed by 'Martiam in the Playground' by Clare Sainsbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential first read for parents of a child with ASD, 19 Aug. 2008
A very easy and somewhat comforting read for parents still in the early stages of finding out they have a child with autism. Very positive and full of helpful insights and tips. A little sentimental at times but doesn't distract from author's overall message of how best to help your child reach their full potential. Vital reading! I will be passing on to family members and close friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspergers, 12 Feb. 2007
Richard (Folkestone, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for all people dealing with children affected by autism and aspergers. It lets you know how it feels to be in the child's shoes and gave me a whole new understanding of what it must feel like. Great book!

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew by Ellen Notbohm (Paperback - 19 Mar. 2007)
Used & New from: £4.06