Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2014
Until recently I had read all of Lydia Davis's work except for 'the Cows'; I left it out, thinking it unnecessary. But then I read her story 'We Had Wondered What Animal Might Arrive' - which won the 2009 Pushcart Prize - in Noon, and started to come around to the idea of what Lydia Davis might see in cows.

That other story - a summation and a glorious best of, featuring all the best LD tropes and motifs collapsed into five elegant paragraphs - sets up this more detailed look at the animals, and the pastoral scene around them. This is one of the gentlest and clearest of her projects, and yet there is still space for humour, philosophical nail-hitting and even the breathtaking, in this 37-page story, which reminds you, like Knausgaard's My Struggle, that you really are in your own skin.
on 1 January 2015
What a happy way to spend a couple of hours - ruminating on the small events in a field of cows - loved it, really made me smile.