5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best insights gained was that when a child feels 'safe' ..., 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear (Paperback)
This has got to be the most important book on parenting that I have ever read. For me, the difference between this and other books is that Connection Parenting rings true with my instinct. Whilst other books may have theories that sound plausible and could be worth a try, this one shines out with simple logic that makes complete sense. Other methods I have tried have worked for a bit and then slid backwards again. But because this book has re-connected me to what I believe in my heart, I can remember to treat my child with the respect he deserves, even when I'm stressed or tired. The beauty of the advice given here is that if you slip up, you can rectify it straight away and then of course your child will learn how to copy your respectful behaviour too. One of the best insights gained was that when a child feels 'safe' e.g. there haven't been any dramas for a few days, they will then empty their 'hurt bucket' and act up and let the tears flow. This used to really wind me up because I'd been making such an effort not to have my button pressed and then my son would start up the dramas all over again. Now, after reading this book, I understand that he felt safe enough to let all his hurt out so I now just hold the space for him and totally accept his outpouring of strong feelings until it subsides and he feels better. This book has honestly changed my life...we haven't looked back :) I think if everyone read this book before they even had children of their own the whole of society would change for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connect instead of disconnect with children, 13 Nov 2011
Tina Brescanu (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Connection Parenting offers a compassionate read to parents and parents to be who know we could all be better parents. One of the many sad things of the times we live in is that most parenting is still done by what was done to us, and no matter how much we insist smacking, shouting, pulling, name calling, being lied to etc didn't hurt us, we still love our parents etc, yes--but we could be better, we could be bigger, we could be connecting with our children instead of disconnecting which is what we do every time we use coercion, threat, bribes and even awards.
Too often we choose what we think is the easy route, laying down the law, being bosses, and teaching everything by" I told you so", or "because".
Connecting with your child is about taking the time it takes to be a parent, not the rush job it has been reduced to because we have mistakenly interpreted contribution to life and society to be more valuable if it comes through taxpaying work. The price for bad parenting is a price we all pay for so it makes sense to learn how to be better parents.

Tina Brescanu Author of Warriors of Change:Sentenced to School

5.0 out of 5 stars It's THE PARENTING BOOK!, 17 Mar 2011
It's so wonderful it left me speachless! I think if every parent read this book we would REALLY change the future of this planet!!! Very very very well done Pam! We need to get this to schools asap!!!