5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and profound
Published on 28 Jan 2012 by roses

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Translation?
Published 20 months ago by Godot

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and profound, 28 Jan 2012
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
After reading Keigo Higashino's 'The Devotion of Suspect X', I hoped Naoko would also be equally intense and unpredictable. And it really doesn't disappoint. I absolutely enjoyed this intriguing novel, the premise of the story is unusual, but in Naoko Higashino has a flair for expressing the thoughts and emotions of his characters as they try to adapt to their strange predicament. It's a black comedy on the theme of death, mourning and marriage. It's a page tuner and I was hooked on finding out how it will would all end. Like Higashino's other works, just as I thought I had the ending all sussed out within the last few pages, upon finishing I could not have been further from the conclusion which was heart rendering and profound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Translation?, 30 Dec 2012
Godot (Boston, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
I am addicted to all things Japanese and, by and large, I love Japanese fiction. I certainly enjoyed 'The Devotion of Suspect X' and would recommend it, but for me there is a big problem with 'Naoko': the translation. It's often an issue with Japanese novels: you can read three from the same series (that is, by the same author) enjoy two of them and find the third almost unreadable. 'Naoko' is certainly not unreadable, but it is very, very, VERY American. It is not a question, you will understand, of being a 'good' or a 'bad' translation. Kerim Yasar, the translator, is well-qualified and I assume that the translation is accurate ... but it's also very Merikan. I have no problem with American writing - I enjoy that too - but to my (English) ear this text is ... how can I put it? ... 'culturally insensitive'. It's not simply the occasional 'mom' where we might say 'mum' or 'mother'; the speech patterns, the phrasing, the feel of the prose all scream 'American'. I imagine that to an American reader terms like 'anyways' are neutral and not in the least distracting. I can only say that it felt like reading a novel by an American author and in this case that matters a great deal because, give or take a few (interesting) twists, the novel is essentially the working out of a fairly common theme: a woman inhabits the body of her teen-aged daughter. Unless it FEELS Japanese through and through, it's always going to be a very ordinary read?
[Two things in passing: I had no problems at all with 'Suspect X', translated by Alexander Smith. And there are some howlers in this text ... 'He could HERE her giggle now and then.' (Page 190) NOT a big issue, but it makes you wonder?]

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and absorbing..., 14 Oct 2011
Nikki Dudley (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
Once you get past the strange occurance of the main character's dead wife inhibiting the body of their eleven year old daughter, this book is absorbing and exciting. The complexities of dealing with grief, being happy his wife is alive but disappointed that their relationship can't be how it was before - provide a boiling pot of confusion, excitement and a chilling narrative.

I really enjoyed this book and I would love to read more by this author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
Very different from his other books, so I was quite thrown at the start. It took me a lot longer to read this book than normal, but this is perhaps because it is so thought provoking. It's all about the relationship between 2 characters and not much else, which suits me fine - but my God what a disturbing one. I thought the end was fantastic, I hadn't seen it coming. Very moving and all in all a very intriguing read. I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
I really enjoy this author's work and have read other books by him .Each one is very different and
this was an unusual story which I found enthralling to the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Present, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Naoko (Paperback)
This was bought as a present for someone so I have not read it but my son was not very impressed.

Naoko
Naoko by Keigo Higashino (Paperback - 1 July 2004)