4.0 out of 5 stars China Study - tell me more!
Just some random comments as there are so many reviews already...
I read this book after being recommended it by a friend. I was born and raised on a 'health farm' where all the food was home grown and organic. I therefore already knew a great deal on this subject. However I was interested to read more data and to see what other stats had come out of the China Study...
Published 14 months ago by Bam Bam

2.0 out of 5 stars More veg is good for everyone but a lot of shaky science here
I've been reading a lot of diet stuff recently and this book is good in places. I mean, who could argue with the idea we should all be eating much more whole plant foods? No one. But - and it is a big but - I have to say that the idea of throwing out all animal protein strikes me as simply irresponsible.

We evolved eating animal proteins. Long before we ever...
Published 8 months ago by Raggielass

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars vital study in public and personal health, 12 Feb 2006
P. S. Harris - See all my reviews
The China Study, contributes to a new scientific understanding of health, which is comparable with the historic 19th Century understanding of infectious diseases. Dr T. Colin Campbell is an eminent scientist with a long career in both the laboratory and in epidemiology, and provides a valuable read for both the public and the professional. Nutritional science was and often, as far as the public is concerned, still is, highly misleading. Epidemiology increasingly suggests there is something drastically wrong with our ‘advanced’ eating patterns. To paraphrase the old Beatles’ song, things are not getting better all the time. Colorectal cancer, for example, is common in all advanced countries. The Czech Republic with a death rate of 34 per 100,000 males compares with Bangladesh, which has 0.63 per 100,000 males.
In fact, T.C.C tells us, most cancers are preventable by different nutrition. Most heart disease (and all the related conditions of arterial disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension) is also preventable, mostly by different nutrition. It is most definitely not “all in our genes”. We are not just looking at death rates; think of the massive burdens of long years of disability and crippling expensive medical intervention. Look at the early development of atheroma in the arteries of our apparently ‘healthy’ young people.Dr Campbell is not the only one to quote some of this evidence. Recent advances in ultrasound examination of arteries by leading-edge medical science teams are exceptionally revealing and important (check out Science Update at Berwick Heart Support). Much arterial disease is reversible by a combination of different nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation and better social relationships.
Not all the evidence is in, but given the evidence that changed him, there is sufficient to change us. Quote from the book; “I started at the opposite end of the spectrum: as a meat-loving diary farmer in my personal life, and an ‘establishment’ scientist in my professional life.” Whatever the areas of study that still require more evidence, do not wait, buy this book and begin to do it. I started 17 years ago after a heart attack. My health gain was enormous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary work, 16 July 2008
I have read dozens of books on the subject of nutrition and health, but this is the only one that has had a profound and permanent effect on me. Everything in this book just made sense. The writing is clear, intelligent and surprisingly passionate, and I was utterly hooked from the first page to the last. It's impossible to ignore the hundreds of scientific studies that point to a direct relationship between what we eat and the state of our health. These studies are presented in an easy to understand manner and the writer maintains a scientific detachment that allows the reader to make up his or her own mind. There are chapters on different types of chronic diseases, backed up with scientific research that will leave you in no doubt that most of these diseases are entirely avoidable.

This book made me realize for the first time that an animal based diet is directly linked to chronic diseases and cancer, and that I must take responsibility for my health. I had always been suspicious of milk products and knew that they caused more harm than good, but giving them up was always an uphill struggle - not any more!

This book has given me hope because many of our modern diseases can be reversed with appropriate diet and a long and healthy life is within our reach. Since reading this book I have made radical changes to my diet (which I had never been able to do before) and have a new found respect for my body and the food I put in it.

This is truly an important and profound work that will revolutionise your thinking and eating habits. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame that most of the information contained in this book won't be taught in our schools!, 2 Jun 2013
Anthony (Harrow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Excellent book with a huge amount of interesting information. I've also read his more recent book, and seen his interviews on Forks Over Knives, and his views are extremely convincing and make a lot of sense, especially when considering his pedigree.
For me when considering opinions on these matters a lot of it is about what does the messenger have to gain from their message, and likewise is their an agenda from those attacking the message. I don't believe the author has that much to gain, but quite the reverse is true of his detractors.
The evidence put forward in this and other books is quite over whelming, and also when you consider the incredible financial muscle of the big pharmaceutical companies, meat industry, dairy industry, supplement companies etc, it's not really a huge surprise that they are able to suppress this message and misdirect and mislead the media/public so effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game Changing Book for Preventive Medicine, 27 Sep 2012
This book should be compulsory reading for everyone in the medical profession. The magic bullet to fix healthcare. Dr Campbell is a brave warrior and has stated things that the modern medical professionals need to hear. It is beautifully simple and obvious but dare we listen?
Anything that involves people being proactive and changing life style is always a hard sell. I would love to see this book on the top of the nonfiction Bestseller list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for everyone!!!, 17 Sep 2012
I came across this book when looking for some reading about the Gerson Diet. A close family member has cancer and we were made aware of the gerson therapy...eating a plant based diet to treat and prevent cancer! This book fully backs up the gerson treatments. It's revelations are just unbelievable with the way we are all led to believe a way of life that is killing us all....this is a must read for everyone !!! You will not regret it !! And after you have read it help to spread the word and save lives !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Scientific Research, 17 May 2012
I read this book in desperation to try and find a cure for the health problems I was suffering. These ranged from Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lymphedema, Asthma and Obesity. The mainstream medical body could not help me and in fact was just making me worse by prescribing some very toxic medicines that they assured me would make me feel better. These medicines just made me feel worse!
I was suffering from depression as a result of struggling to get through the day, and things looked pretty bleak. I could not understand why by following a normal eating plan, my weight just kept going up and up. I did not over eat. I ate eggs which are supposed to be healthy, right? I enjoyed drinking milk, semi skimmed of course, and was assured that it was a 'super food' so was doing me good. I ate lean meat and organic meat when I could afford it. So why was my body in meltdown?
Then I discovered the China Study, and all my questions were answered. Whilst reading the book I became a vegan. That was ten weeks ago. As a result I have lost two stone in weight and all my other illnesses are beating a hasty retreat. My asthma has settled down, I can move without being in constant pain, and my joints don't sound like an old wreck at sea in a bad storm! I feel great and my body fells clean. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to protect themselves from chronic illness, or those that have been diagnosed with one and want to fight back.
Also I have discovered the joy of eating real healthy food and am actually eating more now than I did before!
However, it is still a minefield in the supermarkets and it pays to wise up on what is healthy vegetarian/vegan food. I avoid all Soya and Quorn products as these are as bad as meat. As a milk substitute I use Almond milk which is delicious on it's own or in tea and coffee. It is available at large supermarkets but there are many recipes for it online. For those with a nut allergy there are oat, hemp and rice milks.
Life is a joy again and I cannot thank Colin Campbell enough!
As Hipprocrates said: Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food!
And this quote from Leornado Da Vinci: "Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them. We live by the death of others. We are burial places! I have since an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men will look upon the murder of animals as they look upon the murder of man."

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 April 2012
I bought this because my granddaughter has exzema and my mother had stroke and heart condition. My mother didn't drink or smoke and exercised daily. The problem for us all is too much animal protein. Dairy products too much acid in our diets cause illness. I know that i cured my arthritis with diet. Its all in this fabulous book. Quote "he who has the gold makes the rules" this book could save your life and that of your children and grandchildren

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me.., 24 Dec 2009
A year ago I was diagnosed with very early stage asymptomatic prostrate cancer - this was picked up by chance through a biopsy. As it was in the very early stages, the doctor decided on a "watchful waiting" course of action - with 6 monthly checks and an annual biopsy. I immediately read this book - and also books by Dr Jane Plant. I have since dropped dairy (in particular) completely - and have animal protein only occasionaly - and do my best to follow the whole food recommendations in this book. I have just recently had my annual biopsy - and of the 17 samples taken, not one showed any sign of the cancer. My doctor is sceptical that it is because of my diet. Does the diet work? Don't know - but as far as I am concerned it works for me and I will still be carrying on with it! It certainly makes a lot of sense to me in terms of general health and well being. I am so used to soya milk now - the very thought of milk disgusts me (still miss cheese though!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifestyle choice for a healthier longer life., 27 April 2010
This review is from: China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health (Hardcover)
I have just retired after over 40 years in general medical pratice. I consider the The China Study to be one of the most important books, if not the most important book I have read in my whole career. I only wish I had read it 40 years ago. I am already benefiting in my own health and only wish I had possessed this knowledge earlier to pass on to my many patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars this has changed my life, 18 Aug 2012
This book has changed my way of thinking about nutrition for good!
I have been trying for years to lose weight because of PCOS and mainly failed until I followed the advice in this book. For the first time in several years the scales have gone down, but a massive bonus is that I have much more energy and zest for life!
The writer has a way of offering his findings for consideration rather than telling us what is wrong and how to do it, which is refreshing.
I would strongly recommend this book, it is a real eye opener.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›