5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all knitters

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all knitters, 17 Mar. 2011
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
I first came across this book in the library when I lived in Canada, and just kept renewing it until eventually I had to return it for fear of wearing it out. I then made the mistake, upon my return to the UK of buying her second book on Edgings and Borders....what a disappointment! I actually returned it to Amazon for a refund, then waited until I realised I just had to have this one. It lives at the side of my chair and is an invaluable source of inspiration to me as I fiddle and tweak with very old basic patterns. This book made me realise that there needn't ever be a garment with a plain old K1, P1 rib....those days are gone! Even a raw beginner can start with a more interesting rib pattern, and work from there, as the instructions and photographs are clear, so I disagree to a certain extent with the reveiwer who suggests this book is not for the beginner....I think it's for anyone who has an interest in knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluble book if you like to customise your knits, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
Small paperback with every edging & border you can think of, illustrated in lovely clear photos of each pattern knitted up & with instructions. Shows at the beginning the effects of using different weights or types of yarn with the same motif, good for deciding what might look good. If you like to change patterns, get bored with simple ribbing or design your own patterns, this is a very useful book with so many ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting on the Edge, 20 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge: The Essential Collection of Decorative Borders (Hardcover)
I found this book truly inspirational. It is beautifully illustrated and clearly laid out. The instructions are easy to follow. The results look wonderful, but you don't feel intimidated by them. I couldn't wait to try some of them out and it took me ages to decide which edging I would use on my current project. Can't wait to see the finished article. I will use this book every time now. No more boring K2P2 ribs!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd researched more, 1 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
My mistake. I think the book I looked at in store was probably one of the others in the series, and I chose the one that I am less likely to use. It's a bit frudtrating that Nicky Epstein has divided these techniques into 3 seperate books. I'm sure it's great for her business, but not the best way to reference the topic. Knitting on, over and beyond the edge are really 3 volumes of the same book. Ideally to offer all 3 at a discount would be good, or combine them all into one. I'm sure I'll use this, but I'll always be wondering - is there a more appropriate technique in one of the other books.
What I really wanted was more of a discussion about how to add an edge to a garment - eg if the garment has 150 rows in stocking stitch, how many stitches would I pick up along the edge to add a moss stitch border. None of that in this book. Sorry to dissapoint you!

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant, 23 July 2004
this book is a comprehensive resource - I don't think I will ever knit a sweater with a standard rib again. lovely cables, lace and other interesting ways to make a plain item more special. Nice pictures, easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful inspiration!, 18 Mar. 2010
A John (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is such an inspirational book! The photography is wonderful, and shows Nicky Epsteins work off so well, that its not just a knitting source book, but also a coffee table book.

The book begins with a guide to considering the type of wool to get the texture you want and the best yarn size to use for the effect you want. It's then divided into chapters on ribbed edges, ruffles, lace, fringe, flora, and points and picots. There are also patterns at the back for some complete garments used to show off the designs, a cardigan, bag, vintage lace pullover, a very feminine floral edged jumper, a fringed scarf and saxon braided scarf, and a jumper with a sugar drop edging.

The pattern designs throughout are fabulous. Each one has the number of stitches it's worked over, which makes it very easy to find which ones will fit the pattern you are adapting (or writing!). I've used the gorgeous sugar drop edging on a plain long jumper for my daughter, which looks fabulous with jeans or leggings (even if I do say so myself!)

Although some of the patterns are very simple, this isn't really a book for beginners. But for those who are intermediate and expert, this is a wonderfully inspirational book, which has so many designs which you want to try, and will help you to transform some ordinary patterns into something much more original and spectacular.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great pics - but no charts, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
Nicely photographed with a good range of patterns but one small and one major criticism: the small one that it isn't always clear which set of instructions refer to which photograph, the major one - and a big one for me - no charts. Not a single chart for either lace or cables, which I think is a huge oversight on the part of both the author and the publishers. I hadn't realised this when I bought the book and would not have bought it if I had. Can't recommend for this reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my project not an edge to some other project., 29 Sept. 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Okay I know this book was designed to point out all the different little ribs, ruffles, lace, fringes, Flora, points & picots that can be used to embellish or projects. However, this book is my project.

It is already been pointed out that there are numerous errors and how to correct numerous errors. Yet part of the fun is finding them myself. I have the time and material and find this book quite intriguing. I have bought many other books just for the subject as pieces of the book and here I have the complete book. This is also useful for people that are really professional or deep into her avocation.

I think you will have hours of pure fun. Do not let me catch you watching TV and doing mindless knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any serious knitter, 11 April 2015
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
I adore Nicky Epstein's work at the best of times,and this book is essential to any serious knitters library. this will enable you to turn a piece of good work into the spectacular,and truly jaw dropping. There are ideas here for so many different projects that it's difficult to choose just one.
For me personally,Nicky has taken knitting from being previously regarded as the sole domain of little old ladies producing ill fitting sweaters and unwanted scarves and moved it to where it truly belongs in the twenty first century. It is almost as if she can see right into your head and helps to create the very finish that you were trying to conjure up in your own mind,but didn't know where to begin. It really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting on the Edge of my seat, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Knitting on the Edge (Paperback)
Kept me on the edge of my seat unable to wait to get started on some of the projects this book has inspired me to knit. What a brilliant idea to have a book just on edgings; I shall go back to it time after time.

Knitting on the Edge: The Essential Collection of Decorative Borders
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available