5.0 out of 5 stars At last: a book of practical socks
Published on 26 Sep 2006 by Knitting Nellie

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from what I expected
Book is a bit different from what I expected - I know the title says knitting vintage socks, but I didn't expect a total, constant reference to Weldon's. I don't know who and what Weldon is, all I wanted was a book of patterns to try to knit some socks.

good points - has quite a variety of knitting patterns, instructions are relatively clear.

bad...
Published on 5 Jan 2011 by YY

5.0 out of 5 stars At last: a book of practical socks, 26 Sep 2006
This review is from: Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns (Spiral-bound)
I love this book because it is full of patterns for plain coloured socks that you can actually wear inside a shoe! If you really want to knit socks for everyday wear, then I think you should consider this book. The knitting interest comes from the range of patterns and myriad heel and toe shapings that the book offers. Patterns for women predominate, though there are some for children and men (though any sock pattern is easy to adapt, once you get in to the swing of it). The patterns have all been adapted from an old 19th and 20 century knitting magazine called Weldons. My mum remembers Weldons, so I leant her my copy, and haven't seen it since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful traditional socks, 16 Jan 2007
After learning to knit socks (and knit properly) using Nancy Bush's 'Folk Socks' I was very excited to see she had published a new book and with adapations of Victorian and Edwardian patterns. This book did not disappoint. It appreciates its international audience and has all the convertion tables and information you will need. It has beautiful illustrations and , as always, has patterns that even I can understand. I have never had a Nancy Bush pattern not work out.

So far I have knitted two pairs of infant's socks. These are quick and beautiful to knit and work well with 4ply merino wool which is very easy to obtain in the UK. They make a wonderful present for a newborn as they are the only socks I have come across to stay on a baby with the elasticity to be so gentle too. They are warm yet soft. Wonderful. I have also knitted the evening stockings for a young lady. These are adapted to be knee high socks for a lady. I have found it impossible to come across beautful socks for a woman which go well with the pretty skirts fashionable these days. Like many people, I seriously dislike tights and these are so special. As with the baby socks these knit easily with 4ply, or sock weight wool - easily available here.

Also included in this comprehensive book are traditonal 'shooting socks' and other traditonal mens and ladies socks: ankle length right up to proper stockings with knitted garters (suitable for reinactments and people who feel the cold!). All these socks are knitted in one colour but with beautiful stitches which look tricky but are actually easy to follow. They needn't stay one colour however; they could be knitted with some of the beautiful multicoloured wools on the market now.

Altogether a very special book. I would recommend it to any knitter with a little experience or someone who also has 'Folk Socks' on hand to start them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous knitting inspiration, 15 Oct 2008
I have never before knitted from a pattern or from a written explanation (I always had Granny to help me), but this book is a VERY GOOD book to start with! All of the patterns -that I've tried so far- in this book are correct, and the result is BEAUTIFUL! The socks are just amazing! I've knitted 6 different pairs now, and I don't ever want to stop! Everything you need to know to be able to knit the socks in this book is explained in plain english, plus you get to read a little about the history behind the patterns, which I though was very nice.
An excellent book for sock pattern beginners! A very good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from what I expected, 5 Jan 2011

bad points - doesn't give in brackets, like most modern patterns do, the variation in sizes. It just says, adjust your yarn and knitting needles till you find the right size. Well... may be i'm a total knitting idiot, but I did expect some guidance in adjusting the number of stitches to adjust for the size. Sometimes may be just have a couple of balls of yarn that I wanted to use up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I had hoped for, 10 April 2012
The product description says:

'Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns' adapts sock patterns from the Weldon's Practical Needlework book series. Nancy Bush updates 23 classic patterns from their rich past and reinvents them for today's knitters by including gauges, up-to-date yarns, and twenty-first century methods and sizes.'

That should have given me enough of a clue but I was seduced by the word vintage in the title. There is a crucial piece of text in the introduction which, if I had known about it, would have deterred me from buying this book. The text is:

"Another obstacle loomed, however: Many of the patterns called for the equivalent of size 000 or 0000 (1.5 or 1.25mm) needles. Yes, these sizes are still available, but I felt that few knitters today would enjoy knitting with such small needles...."

I have knitted plenty of socks in my time in 4 ply and what is marketed as sock yarn. The book would be very useful if you have never knitted socks as it will enable you to understand the construction. However, once you have grasped that, you will realise that they are all made in the same way and the only thing that really makes them different is the pattern you choose to use for the body.

What attracted me to this book was the chance to make "vintage" socks as I hoped they would be made with yarn finer than 4-ply, which is fairly readily available. Unfortunately, that is not what this book is. There are tantalising pictures of very fine socks but the updated patterns are chunky by comparison. It is in my view just a book of standard socks and the finest yarn is 4- ply so far as I can see (although it is not immediately obvious from the descriptions of the gauge), set against pictures of much more interesting but unattainable designs.

If you do not have any sock patterns or are nervous about making them then this may be a way of getting started but the use of the word vintage led me to expect very much finer socks than the ones offered here. If you have ever knitted socks or have an old pattern then I doubt this will add much value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect basic socks, 2 April 2010
Sanna (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
I've knit maybe 10 pairs of socks from this book already. I love the traditional, simple textures updated for modern needle sizes and yarns. Many of the patterns still have certain frustrating original complications to them - if I was to write this book, I would have taken more liberties on renewing the patterns, but that is a matter of opinion.

I love the history part of the book and the fact that each of these patterns is a genuine pattern from more than a 100 years ago. The book has loads of interesting textures, many different heels and many toe variation. I've come to a point where I just combine the textures to my favorite heels and toes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
L. Carpenter - See all my reviews
Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars socks, 1 Sep 2010
very informative , guidance on learning to adapt patterns as well as giving patterns to try out

Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns
Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns by Nancy Bush (Spiral-bound - 6 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: 2.65