5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never buy another pattern book again!
Published on 4 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the New Knitter
I bought this book because I wanted to get back into knitting after a long absence. If you are new to knitting this is not the book for you. I was disappointed as the patterns are very old fashioned and trying to understand the gauge's was difficult at first so takes a while before you can knit your first item. However if you are a good knitter you can adapt the designs...
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by Jean the Bean

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never buy another pattern book again!, 4 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Knitter's Handy Book Of Sweater Pattern: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges (Spiral-bound)
This is the book that I should have bought years ago. It's perfect for anyone, whether a new or seasoned knitter. The basic sweaters are all stocking stitch, so anyone can knit them, or add your own stitch patterns. With the choice of sleeves, neck styles and any yarn you fancy, this book is indispensible. And best of all - the charts are sized up to 54" so unlike certain similar books, it caters for those knitters who aren't a perfect size 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource for New Knitting Designers, 4 April 2006
Andrea C. Dean (Brentwood, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am just finishing up a sweater made with this book. Rather than finding a pattern I like and then having to buy the yarn specified for that pattern, this book allows you to pick a yarn you love, and then design your sweater or cardigan around it. I've been knitting for years, but this is the first time I've tried to "design". It's been a learning experience, and it's been great, and I couldn't have done it without this book. If you're a bit of a nervous knitter, this book with give you the confidence to try revising a pattern on your own to achieve what you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent springboard for developing your own designs..., 21 Feb 2005
This book has finally given me the confidence to have a go at designing my own knitwear. Although it looks confusing initially, with pages of number tables, once I'd read through the 'user guide', it all came clear and is so easy to use. I've already started my first cardigan using the guidelines in this book, and it's looking good!
You just swatch in your chosen yarn until you get an even number of stitches to the inch, choose your basic style (mostly based on sleeve type - drop shoulder, set in, fully shaped, raglan, circular yoke) and size, and you're off. There are also instructions on how to work out patterns if you've got fractions of stitches to the inch and want to stick with that stitch tension.
I'd recommend this to anyone who is confident with knitting techniques, but who might want a bit of help in the design department.

5.0 out of 5 stars Requirement for all sweater knitters, 3 Jun 2007
If you already know how to knit and want to knit sweaters, or you knit lots of sweaters, but are tired of simply following patterns, then this is the first book you should own. It shows how all standard-style sweaters are constructed (other than a few rare ones), so that you can design almost any sort you might want, choosing your own neckline or sleeve type, varying the pattern according to the gauge, or vary an existing pattern to change something you don't like.

As valuable as this book is, though, it isn't everything for the knitter. It doesn't include various knit stitches and techniques, and it doesn't include information about anything but sweaters. Nonetheless, it's the book I pull out for virtually every sweater I make. Even the binding - ring bound so it lies flat - is conducive for easy reference.

For example, I just found a fabulous yarn, something that needs to define the sweater, rather than being embellished with fancy stitches. So, I went straight to this book and am designing the perfect sweater for the yarn. Everything I need is there (except the buttons). All I have to do is decide whether the yarn will best suit a set-in, saddle shoulder, or raglan sleeve, or perhaps whether to knit it with circular needles. Maybe do a V-neck. Perhaps a little collar? Hmmmm. . .decisions, decisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great buy for knitters of all skills and abilities, 2 Sep 2006
J. McCreadie "j_mac_03" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is quite simply and excellent buy for all knitters. This book helps you to understand how patterns are constructed and youi can then use this to put together your own sweaters using the yarn that you like. I've already planned out a sweater that I'm sure will fit and be flattering once it's completed. this is a book which will help you to be confident in making choices in your knitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars the first step to designing your own patterns, 26 Dec 2011
This book works on the principle of knitting a square in your given yarn, working out how many stitches to the inch & then taking a generic pattern & making a jumper that would fit anyone. The basic shapes are the same shapes that most knitting companies would use for their designs, the patterns I have used frequently are the scandanavian style jumper knitted in the round (remarkably similar to E Zimmermans basic pattern but more readable) drop sleeved jumper, & the basic pullover. If you can only follow an english pattern that spells out each row you knit you will struggle with this but if you have imagination & intelligence (which I would assume you have if you wish to design your own) then this is easily followed. After knitting your test square in the stitch you wish to use, you simply follow that column in the pattern book, if your swatch comes up between sizes you are told how to calculate how many stitches you need & how to use the charts. There are several examples of blow by blow patterns also given as examples. This will help you to build confidence.
The only points to be aware of are 1. measurements are for finished size not to fit a certain size so you may wish to measure some existing garments to see how much ease you like & is fashionable
2. The illustrations of garments she has produced do in some cases look a bit frumpy, it doesn't mean that what you knit will be frumpy but it may put some people off.
On the whole I have found the yarn quantities accurate & useful to copy out & carry round with me at yarn sales, the patterns work & are easy to follow, work for a large range of sizes, I have knitted from a size 28", many 48" & 50" sweaters & one 72" sweater where I simply followed instructions for using the patterns with non standard guages & all turned out great. I have introduced colours patterns & cables to the patterns & now don't bother searching for patterns for normal jumpers, I use this book for 60% of my knitting. If it got lost I would replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 17 April 2006
If you want some basic sweater patterns adaptable to your own choice of yarn weight this book is for you. It includes patterns for drop shoulder, set-in sleeve, saddle shoulder and knit-in-the round sweaters, all in child and adult sizes, all adaptable to cardigans, and with lots of ideas for customisation Best of all knittable in the yarn of your choice. Don't be put off by the charts, they are not complicated. I found it easiest to use them to work out my own pattern which I jotted down before I began.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book even for foreigners, 16 Nov 2007
Irina Saur "Irina" (Aveiro, Portugal) - See all my reviews
I am not a native English speaker and I was afraid I could not understand the patterns when I bought this book. My fears were completely unfounded. The book is excellent, I have just finished my second sweater (did a child one and an adult one) using this book and I am perfectly satisfied with the result. You only need to choose the pattern and the rest is in the book. At first, the tables may seem a bit scary, but once you start knitting it's very easy, almost mechanical. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly useful book, 10 Nov 2009
I read about Ann Budd's books on my return to knitting (despairing of the quality, yarn content and fit of high street knitwear) and decided to give this one a go. Other reviewers are right, the book is absolutely indispensible for the knitting enthusiast. Charts are easy to read and it is a joy to dispense with all tension restrictions and simply work out which tension you like using the yarn you want or have to hand, then follow Budd's instructions to calculate the rest including yarn quantity by the metre/yard. I have also been inspired to knit a sweater in the round, avoiding seams: the book gives you the confidence to try these techniques and lots of options for shaping sleeves, collars, openings etc to your own preference. Some experience is necessary to get the most out of this book: the complete newcomer is likely to be a bit bamboozled, I feel.However the liberation from other people's patterns is wonderful and I have now bought some unique hand-spun and dyed yarn which I can use to produce an item of my own design. One word of caution: the new self patterning yarns are not covered by Budd, so the implications of using them and their tendency to produce different patterning results depending on the size of the piece being knitted is not mentioned. I am finding that the sleeves of my new sweater will have a slightly different look to the body piece: this is not a problem for me but could disappoint others. I had certainly not thought it through before starting. \overall the book is a terrific buy and great value for money. I will look for more of Ann Budd's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good resource, 30 Jan 2006
By A Customer
There are only good things to say about this book.
Plenty of tips such as shaping, adjusting for guage, knitting in the round.
The tables in the book for the different sizes are easy to follow, but this is all explained at the beginning.
Choose from childrens to adult sizes, different styles, Set In Sleeves, Raglan, Drop Shoulder, Modified Drop Shoulder, cardigan, different necklines, sleeves. You would also be saving yourself money as you would not need to buy any more patterns as there is plenty of choice.
There are some copycat patterns if you wish to follow these but you can also follow the instructions in the book to create a garment unique to yourself. To go with this book I would also recommend some stitch guides to create even more designs.