5.0 out of 5 stars Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'
This is a remarkable book: I had the huge tome unpacked and by the end of the second espresso had learned 5 things about chains that so far had eluded me.
Every topic is covered from every angle and there are some very clever "get-you-homes" that I wouldn't have believed possible but are so smart they've got to be true.
Bought as I have just upped my...
Published 21 months ago by Thomas Robb

3.0 out of 5 stars zinn road bike maintenance
This book is good but i would prefer more diagrams when you want to get a job done and you have spanners in hand its easier to study pictures than focussing on reading text.
Published 6 months ago by stevo

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollin' Rollin' Rollin', 27 April 2013
Thomas Robb "Hobmachine" (Bangor, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought as I have just upped my cycling to a second bike and I wanted to learn a little bit more about the mechanics and maintenance of the 900 quid machine I have just purchased: I have already.
It's one of those books that you cannot stop yourself picking up as you go past and selecting at random a topic which invariably ends up illuminating.
It's first use on the workstand will no doubt repay the purchase price and you cannot ask for more than that.
Well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 2 May 2013
This book is extremely well written by someone who clearly knows his stuff. As others have commented, the most surprising thing is the physical format of the book. It is very big with large typeface and excellent illustrations. I really like the way he has divided the various maintenance tasks into three ability levels and explains what tools and equipment you need.

I struggle to see how you could improve on this book unless you had one written for the precise make and model of bike you own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Bike Novice, 21 Jun. 2006
LSG (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
Liked this book. I know very little about bikes not having had one since age about 16, many moons ago. Just got into biking again and the book has been extremely useful after only having it for a few days

5.0 out of 5 stars The necessary companion, 14 April 2009
Mr. S. J. Earl "Stuggz" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I have had this book for a couple of years now -a slightly less up to date version- and it has, without a doubt saved me a fortune.
MTB's are something for which it is hard to find a book that actually makes sense (maybe I'm just not good at taking in technical guides) and Zinn's book is so simple, beautifully illustrated and easy to use that I have managed to do everything possible with my bike. It has made things so clear that I have just purchased a frame- an expensive one- with so much confidence I am ready to build the bike of my dreams. It has also saved me large sums of money that I used to spend in a certain bike retailer on services which they were in all honesty not very good at.
If you have any intension of understanding your bike to the point that you can sort anything when it goes wrong simply get this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 22 Jun. 2013
This book covers absolutely every aspect of road bike maintenance and has very easy to follow instructions which I think even I could master despite buying this for my husband!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems like a mountain bike encyclopaedia to me, 13 Feb. 2010
Aaron C Reskew (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
This book is a great source of information. To date my mountain bike hasn't needed any maintenance since it's first service (it's only 9 months old) but I've often been concerned about what I'd do if it did break on me. If I could get it home it's a short walk to a bike shop where they can service or fix it, but if it broke down 15 miles from home that's a long way to push or carry it back.

The guy at my local bike shop I had come to trust didn't seem to be there much and his replacement seemed more interested in selling me stuff than making sure it was the right stuff for me, so I was reluctant to ask his advice. So I bought this book. I'm balanced between a geek who wants to dismantle everything to see how it works, to being reluctant to take parts off in case they don't go back properly. But reading this makes it clear that I can do what's needed, and the tools to fix the bike to a point I can get it back home come what may aren't daunting and aren't intimidating.

Despite having precisely no experience of doing anything with a bike beyond riding it and cleaning it - the biggest adjustment I've made to date is changing the height of the (quick release) saddle - this book really gives me the confidence to take to the bike with spanners and screwdrivers. Although I haven't had to actually put it to the test yet I can see the pictures and descriptions in the book, compare them to what I see on my bike, and have the confidence to do what's needed.

The book has different sections about different aspects of the bike - the brakes, the gears, and so on. It also has a section on repairs in the field (i.e. how to do enough to get home safely even if you then need to fix it properly) and comments on general trail safety (much of which sounds like common sense but casualty figures might suggest otherwise). It uses diagrams rather than photos, which is good because you can see what parts to expect to encounter and in what order.

It also gives four levels of tool sets required. Level 1 is the most basic, consisting largely of spanners and screwdrivers. Level 4 is the most advanced, which is the kind of thing you might want if you're doing bike maintenance for a living. The vast majority of the processes described are level 1, and it includes clear icons in the text to show if it's a higher level. That gives people like me an early warning to just take the bike to the shop for service rather than getting out of my depth and ending up taking a bag of bits to the bike shop for reassembly.

Just for good measure the guy I trust at my local bike shop is back. This is the guy who spent half an hour talking to me about bike tools and instead of selling me what he had, gave me lots of advice, gave me some pointers what to look for online and said he could order what I needed - he must know as well as I do that there's nothing to stop me looking online and then buying from someone who will undercut him. When I mentioned that I'd bought this book he left me in no doubt I'd done the right thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Mar. 2013
Great book that covers everything needed for maintaining a road bike and more. Easy to use sections cover the major areas of the bike and a good diagnostic section for each chapter is really useful. Most major component manufacturers are covered as well as generic types of components. Didn't find the lack of photos to be a hindrance as the expanded illustrations are more than adequate. The writing style makes the contents easily accessible for those without any prior knowledge of bike maintenance or without a knowledge of the technical jargon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great detail, 21 Jun. 2013
Very detailed. All the information you need, very well explained and I find the drawings better than pictures as you don't have to strain to see what's what.
Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, a must have for serious cyclists, 24 May 2013
This is a really fantastic book and a must have for any serious cyclist. Even if you are an amateur cyclist, the sections on cycle maintenance and basic tuning of your bike are extremely useful. In the back of the book there are some very good methods of setting your bike up for optimal performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book although don't buy if you have the mountain bike version, 4 May 2014
This is pretty much my review as for the mountain bike version but changed to be specific to this version, exactly what Zinn has done with this book!

I've purchased this book as there were some maintenance tasks I wanted to carry out on my road bike, the book itself is a good broad guide to road bike repair and maintenance and covers all maintenance tasks that most home mechanics would like to carry out.

Since buying this book I found I had a few tasks I wanted to do on my mountain bike so I bought the mountain bike book, unfortunately having got this book I'm finding that there is lots of duplication between the two books and not enough detail on some of the topics I would like to see in a mountain bike book which would be things like maintaining suspension shocks which is covered but very briefly for a few specific types.

If you already have the road bike edition then searching online is probably better than buying the mountain bike book, however what I would like to see would be a "Zinn and the complete book of bike maintenance" which covers both road and mountain.

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn (Paperback - 1 May 2005)
Used & New from: £2.13