5.0 out of 5 stars Triathletes Training Bible
The Triathletes Training Bible 2nd Edition: Joe Friel

Blurb

Published on 4 July 2007 by Mr. Dominic I. Clacy

3.0 out of 5 stars I know a lot of people enjoyed it but...
Published on 22 April 2009 by Paul Snell

5.0 out of 5 stars Triathletes Training Bible, 4 July 2007
The Triathletes Training Bible 2nd Edition: Joe Friel

Blurb

Coach Joe Friel touts the benefits of creating a scientific, self coached training plan to refine your skills and improve your triathlon performance. You will learn how to train smarter, not harder, and apply proven techniques for increasing endurance without overtraining. Friel equips you with the know-how to build a personal training plan based on your individual needs and goals for the next racing season. In addition to the physical aspect of training, Friel addresses the importance of mental preparation and training, from attitude to zealousness.
Whether you are an amateur, professional, or training for your first triathlon event, you will find comprehensive information to help you achieve your goals and reach your maximum potential.

My Review

When I first bought this book I had only been in the sport of triathlon for a couple of months. During those months I had been swimming twice a week, cycling twice a week, running twice a week and weight training twice a week. My sessions were just endurance based spending say an hour swimming or running or cycling for a couple of hours with the club.
The first thing this book taught me was to make my sessions specific, why I needed speed and endurance sessions and how to tailor them to my goals and needs. I don't do a lot of club training and so being able to turn up at the pool during a public swim session, get in the fast lane and have a challenging and rewarding swim was essential. Before tailoring these sessions training could become boring and monotonous. The inclusion of specific drills and workouts for each sport made a welcome change and my style, especially my stroke in swimming has advanced noticeably.
I always trained with a training plan or diary but I never really knew how to create one properly. The step by step guide in this book has helped me no end and even now I still refer to it at the end of each season to plan the next! Templates are given so the correct format can be obtained for tracking weekly hours, different phases in training, events etc.
Periodization was something I had never employed with my training and again Friel has provided step by step instruction from base to race periods going into detail for each phase as to what workouts should be performed and for how long. Appropriate testing techniques are included to ensure you are always working to your peak potential.
Another section that I found rewarding was that of supplementation and nutrition. Vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, protein supplements etc are all discussed in detail explaining why you need them and what they do, not just `You need them!'. The periodisation of a triathletes diet is also discussed detailing fat, carbohydrate and protein intake throughout the season.

Of course there is no equivalent to one on one coaching from a qualified professional. However this book ensures that you understand your sport and why a coach preaches what he/she does. Understanding how to train and prepare yourself to race is essential if you wish to succeed in multisport. The Training Bible will ensure you reach your race at optimum performance. A book I will never throw away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best present I ever bought!, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
Hi bought this book for my son who tells me it is everything he thought it would be and more. He is a personal trainer who started triathlons 18 months ago. He consults the book most days and finds it invaluable and would recommend it highly to anyone either considering triathlons or to someone already doing them, there is something in it for all.

3.0 out of 5 stars I know a lot of people enjoyed it but..., 22 April 2009
Paul Snell "Paul Snell" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
I found it overly complex and lacking in focus. Friel introduces a lot of new and not very intuitive terms for what is basically excercising at different intensities. I also found it did not fit very well in my (rather limited) athletic library. The best parts on training theory, volume, intensity and methods seem to be lifted directly from "SERIOUS training for the Endurance athlete" (Sleamaker and Browning) which IMHO is a much better book. That said, Friel does add some good guidance on periodisation, tapering and incorporating "B" races into the racing season. I also found that the swimming advice was much clearer and more detailed in the cited source book "Total Immersion" (Laughlin). To be fair, he always cites his sources. The case studies are quite interesting but not really relevant to me. The nutrition chapter might be useful for someone who eats poorly, but I eat a really healthy vegan diet and use SIS REGO etc, so not much there for me either. Also where is the section on race strategy, transition, etc?

So try it, perhaps you will get more out of it than I, but hey, don't call it the bible, Sleamaker and Browning already wrote that (in my opinion its the reader that decides, not the author).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, great presentation, 13 May 2008
Michael Bironneau (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
My only regret is not having bought this book earlier.

I've been running for a year and now I want to train for triathlon. I bought this book hoping to find some guidance, and I found much more. This book:

-Focuses on every aspect of training, or as the author says "eating, living, and sleeping triathlon"
-Exposes and explains rigorous yet simple training methods and plans for complete novices or experienced competitors
-Gives tips on running/biking/swimming technique
-Gives specific details regarding ironman triathlon (e.g. specific pre-race nutrition)
-ALWAYS backs arguments up with studies and other forms of evidence
-Has appendices with workout plans, workout journals, yearly workout planning sheets, and more

Furthermore, I found the presentation of the book very enjoyable (easygoing style of writing, many charts/graphics to aid comprehension).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, excellent value, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
Using for an aid to ultra distance running as opposed to triathlete training but have found the sections on running drills, weights and nutrition exceptionally helpful. Obviously a big book to read so am taking section by section and working on what I need to. Exceptional value and in good condition (especially considering the price I paid).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
I bought this on a recommendation for the diet info so I could understand what foods were most beneficial and what were not. Interesting and in places, surprising. I've only skimmed over the training pages but if you are a committed athlete (I'm not) then you won't go wrong with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for triathletes!, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
I bought this book when I first started out in Triathlons and it really helped me understand the training that goes into the sport.

I'd highly rate this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book that deserves the title bible!, 2 Sep 2008
G. Krawczyk "Greg" (bristol uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Triathletes Training Bible (Paperback)
I have no experience in the sport but after reading the book and creating my training programme i am already quietly confident about my first years results.
I can only reccomend this from a novice point of view however my reccomendation is to read it cover to cover its a great book and well wort the money.

ARRAY(0xa0a4e240)

Triathletes Training Bible
Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel (Paperback - 1 Mar 2004)
Used & New from: 1.03