5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Troll...fol di hol., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Story of a Troll-Hunt (Paperback)
Loved this smashing adventure. The book contains the script as written by the writer,
which can be hard to read and understand [you can certainly tell he was a doctor!].
But fortunately enough it comes with a 'translation' that tells the story. Of course,the
illustrations are simply wonderful! With an introduction by Mr Ghost story himself ...
MR James it makes for an entertaining read. Young children would certainly enjoy it
being read to them. Do trolls really exist? I'd like to think they do. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating for Enthusiasts., 3 Mar 2013
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Story of a Troll-Hunt (Paperback)
Ghost story writer and academic M.R.James had a complex friendship with James McBryde the author and illustrator of this funny little tale inspired by a Scandinavian holiday they undertook together. First editions of this little book which James had printed in 1904 in memory of McBryde after his tragic death following an appendix operation, now sell from 150 to 350. Even the Ghost Story Society's reprint is over 100. So this cheap but well produced reprint - which also contains the text (deciphered from McB's tiny handwriting). It's not a masterpiece of either illustration or witty text - bit for those interested in the work of M.R.James and his circle - a fascinating and inexpensive way of owning the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars My earliest remembered book, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: The story of a troll-hunt
I was brought up on 'The Troll Hunt', an original copy of which was given to my grandfather, Dr Sydney Beauchamp, by Gwendolen McBryde. It was a long time before I could read the characterful but illegible script myself. However my mother's reading of the spare and witty text still rings in my 4 year old ears as I roll about in helpless laughter at the enchanted drawings; they still do. I have long felt that it would be great if someone produced a replica of this treasure for future generations to enjoy. It was quite by chance I found that indeed they had and I wait agog for my copy. I will be able to retire my original copy and let the grand and greatgrandchildren free access to explore this hilariously recorded adventure. It is a rare treat for the discriminating - enjoy !

ARRAY(0xa3463618)

The Story of a Troll-Hunt
The Story of a Troll-Hunt by James McBryde (Paperback - 4 April 2006)
7.50