Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 March 2009
This book is a must-read for anyone interested in learning more about lucid dreams - dreams in which the dreamer knows that s/he is dreaming. The author opens his heart and shares his extensive years of lucid dreaming experience with an engaging, friendly style that hooks you into his narrative.

What fascinated me most about the book was its scope; the potential of lucid dreaming is explored with a deft touch and sensitivity, and all sorts of 'big questions' are raised and examined.

Highly recommended!
on 8 September 2012
Robert Waggoner thoroughly explores the world of lucid dreaming in this book. Using lucid dreams of his own and others as fascinating examples, he explores what lucid dreaming is, what it interacts with and what it can achieve. He discards the idea that dreams are based solely on expectation, repressed aspects of the self and activities in waking life, instead developing the view that we experience a mostly hidden but very deep part of the psyche when we dream. Waggoner also rejects the real/unreal dichotomy that people associate with dreams and waking life, because he shows that lucid dreams have the potential to take us to higher levels of awareness and reality, in other words achieve lucid living, as they have the potential to communicate with the 'unconscious consciousness', and help us move towards a more united self.

The manifest complexity of the dream world is seen clearly as Waggoner describes phenomena like out-of-body experiences, healing, telepathy, precognition, mutual dreams and interactions with the deceased, as well as dream figures. These figures possess varying degrees of awareness and are one of two ways to converse with the awareness behind the dream, the other being to communicate with the dream directly. This makes us aware that, to use Waggoner's analogy, in the same way that no sailor controls the sea, no dreamer controls the dream completely. The awe and the passion of the author at the awareness behind the dream and its creations shine through on every page, making this clear read enjoyable throughout. Appendices helpfully contain frequently asked questions as well as tips and various techniques on how to lucid dream.
on 15 August 2013
I chose this book as I hadn't had a lucid dream for about 10 years and my interest had peaked again after I saw Robert Waggoner on TV explaining his many years of experience in Lucid Dreaming!
To be honest, I'm only halfway through the book (yes, sorry about that) but I like to take my time when it comes to life changing events... And this book just opened the door to a whole new exciting world that I could only dream of... Sorry, couldn't resist! But seriously, this book will rock your world!
First night of reading it, I got a LD and that was only after reading one chapter! I think because he just gets to it and gives you the basics to start off with (like how to get to being aware that you're having a LD). Are you? xD Anyway, he also trains you how to stay in the dream once you've freaked out to the fact that you are indeed, having a Lucid Dream! His technique is so basic, you doubt it works at first (thinking there must be more to it surely)?
Not only does he train you, advise, inspire and prepare you to greater things in this new world of exploration and excitement, he shows us that Lucid Dreaming is just the tip of the Iceberg and that there's much much more to learn! Like I said, I'm only halfway through it but I thought hey why wait!
on 19 May 2012
I would recommend this book to anyone who already have some experience in lucid dreaming, but are looking to take it to the next level. Waggoner - an experienced lucid dreamer - writes passionately of his interactions with the subconscious, based on his own experiences.

The book is well-written, and discusses both various ideas in psychology as well as more practical guidelines for the reader. All based on past experiences. I have tried a few of the ideas myself, like self-healing. It works, but interestingly, the experience is never exactly like in his dreams, underlining one of his major points - the subconscious never stop bypassing your expectations.
on 18 November 2013
As someone who has had the great experience of 4 lucid dreams, I'm always looking to further my understanding of lucid dreaming and find ways in which to become lucid more often. Not only does this book cover the basics for those who are just beginning but the majority of the book covers extremely deep concepts and explores lucid dreaming in such an advanced way it makes you question reality itself at times.

For anyone who is interested in lucid dreaming or are even just curious I would highly recommend this book.
on 6 September 2010
An amazing book which moves away from the usual self promotional books by other exponents of the 'craft'.
on 11 May 2013
At last someone who gave confidence to continue with what I was doing when Lucid dreaming and not to be afraid. Thank you. It really worked well with the Tibetan Book of dreams.
on 6 July 2015
Informative and helpful, if your aim is to use lucid dreaming as a tool for spiritual and psychological investigation. Where this is a great use for lucid dreaming, I was after more of an instruction manual type of a book.

In short, I found it very difficult to continue reading after the first quarter, but i'm sure I will pick it up again in time.
on 31 December 2013
Everything about this book is brilliant. Amorphous and spiritual concepts Articulated in a way that makes sense. Inspiring stories of telepathy, shared dreams and talking to higher self. It's clear that dreams are a space underused by people and that hold answers to life's biggest questions
on 9 December 2013
This is such an inspirational book for anyone interested in Lucid dreaming. I had my first fully lucid experience after reading the first few chapters and continue to dip into the book for advice on navigating the dream world and inspiration to continue the practise!