1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected! [for me as a Pregnancy Yoga teacher], 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Yoga for Pregnancy: What Every Mom-to-be Needs to Know (Rodmell Press Yoga Shorts) (Paperback)
Judith Lasater is very well respected in her field. I have other books of hers which I am delighted to own, but this one - this one, was such a disappointment to me!

Perhaps the first disappointment is my 'error'. The book is published by Rodmell Press Yoga Shorts - and SHORT it is, only 63 pages long and that includes the 'acknowledgements' and 'about the author' and blank pages. There are only 6 poses given for pregnancy and 3 for post-pregnancy - though they are photographed clearly and are well 'talked through'. In mitigation for it's brevity, I can see that perhaps if this book has been aimed directly at non-yoga-practising mums-to-be then it is straight-forward for them to follow, in that only one asana has been given to alleviate each of 6 'conditions' of pregnancy [eg cat to lesson lower back pain], along with detailed explanation of the 'condition'. I can imagine that a short routine of half a dozen postures would get practised by a beginner over a more detailed book where you have to pick out your own programme.

However, my biggest shock was to see Warrior II for post pregnancy. It is given as the 'for strength' pose out of the triumvirate of 'for flexibility/ strength/ abdominal muscle strength'. The foot placement is very correctly talked through, but it instructs to bring the knee to a right angle - something which many of my seasoned non-pregnant students find difficult. Thinking changes - and this book does have a 2004 published date - but the current advice to post-partum mums is NOT to practise standing postures which place asymmetrical forces on the pelvis, as all the joints are still lax for some months after birth.

This all said, the reason I was attracted to buy the book, was the inclusion of the pregnancy and post-natal positive mantras. And I have to say, these are so beautifully nurturing and permission giving ... "Letting go is the key to happiness"; "I will rest with every breath" and so on. I'm very appreciative of this section for use with my students.

5.15