on 13 March 2007
An amazing book - and I say this having read it cover to cover in an incredibly short space of time (well, by my standards anyway). The book is essentially, a commentary on Imam al-Mawluds "Matharat al Ql-Qulub" or Purification of the heart. In well laid out chapters, it details the various diseases of the heart (from Anger and Envy to Boastfullness and Arrogance) outlining their detrimental affect on the condition of the heart whilst recomending treatments to help erradicate the most hardened of spiritual diseases.

The nature of the books content renders it applicable to pretty much everyone. It will serve as a timely reminder to those who are preoccupied with worldly matters that are a hindrance to spiritual and emotional development.

A must read for Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.
on 13 July 2013
I can't recommend this book enough.

I bought it after breaking up with my girlfriend and having been to an art of life class - the landmark forum.

This resonated very powerfully with me. I would definitely put some of the advice in practice in my daily life.

I am not a Muslim- however, I think this book can benefit just about anyone.
on 27 June 2013
This is an eye-opening book, for both Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Hamza Yusuf does an excellent job of linguistically expressing the major emotions which contribute to the 'Spiritual diseases of the heart', by providing both the causes and cures to these problems, in the clearest and beautiful of ways. He provides evidence using examples of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) but also alludes to modern events and issues and renowned academic ideas (for those of you who aren't interested in religious ideologies). For the people who are doing some soul searching or want peace of heart and mind for emotionally straining times, this is a good book to help you understand yourself, the human psyche and develop a way to better yourself and make rational decisions in the future, without emotional turmoil's, or less of them.

I will definitely be buying more copies of this book for my family and friends. This is a timeless book and will be helpful to anyone, by the end of this book you will learn to appreciate and respect the world and its inhabitants more (in a completely serious and non-hippie way).

I recommend you stop reading the reviews and buy this book, you won't be disappointed, the delivery's pretty speedy as well.
on 9 January 2005
Divided into 28 sections each dealing with a different disease of the heart (such as hatred, rancor, ostentation etc) Hamza Yusuf's translation of Imam al-Mawlud's Mathurat al-Qulub is magnificent.
The book combines Imam al-Mawlud's timeless beautifully terse explanations of spiritual diseases and their cures with Hamza Yusuf's wide ranging knowledge of Islamic tradition and how the modern world works to create something that is strikingly modern and relevant. The insights into the human condition and psychology are amazing.

A real eye-opener which cannot fail to make you examine your faults and make you a better person. The best self-help book you'll ever buy!
on 15 March 2009
You can pick any each chapter in this book, you don't have to read it from beginning to end. Each chapter is divided into different spiritual diseases of the heart. You can read this book again and again and always learn something new.
on 28 October 2004
I am not a normally keen on books, but after a recommendation from a friend, I bought this book and I would just like to say that this book is just amazing. Right from the start I couldn't put this book down, it has pointed out things that I didn't even realise I was doing wrong but are blatently obvious. It is a excellent stepping stone towards the right direction no matter how much knowledge a person has.
The context of this book is simple and also has reasoning behind everything that is said, it has helped make me a better better person and alot more cautious in the things I do and say. I have realised how precious life is and how close we are to death and should sort our lives out as soon as possible.
I do not regret buying this book at all, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone as I don't think there is a single person who will not benefit from this book.
on 3 August 2004
The translation by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is truly awesome. Its crispness & clarity pierces the heart with a glow of warmth and wisdom. This book quite literally is in another realm of scholarship and unlike any other you would have read. Its advice is simple, succinct yet striking to the intellect. It manages to condense in a little over 200 or so pages the root causes of all the problems we face as humanity today and probably have done from the beginning of time (God knows best). Not only that, but it also gives us sound, practical and relevant methods by which we can eradicate them if we choose - each and everyone of us! This can only be achieved if we follow the advice with a sincere heart, a heart that is striving to elevate itself from the depths of delusion to a purer state of purification. This book is a must read for anyone who wants a true intellectual & spiritual awakening.
on 21 May 2009
I wasnt too keen on this book but reading the reviews on Amazon made me decide to buy it. This book has been written so well, it makes you think about life and how precious it is, it makes you realise the weight the heart carries in everyday life. It makes you realise that death is closer than you think and how short life is. Perfecting your action to perfect your life...

A must read.
on 19 February 2006
Many of us want to be better people. Many of us see our own short comings and we dont really know where to begin. This book highlights the many spiritual issues that are common amongst us all. Hamzah Yusuf, breaks these down and gives us a clear undertsanding of them. He also mentaions the cures.
A must for all those who want to better themselves as a person. THIS BOOK IS A MUST FOR ALL. REGARDLESS OF WHAT BELIEFE YOU COME FROM; HINDU, SIKH, ISLAM, JEWISH, ATHIEST, AGNOSTIC ETC, A BOOK FOR YOU ALL!
on 9 August 2004
This book is a translation, with commentary of a poem by a great Mauritanian scholar. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf has once again brought to the western audiences a masterpiece, adding a commentary befitting of the original poem, supporting it with verses of the Quran and words of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing upon him). The book details the many spiritual diseases of the heart, and how to cure them. Without a doubt every open-minded adult who seeks purification and self-betterment MUST read this book, Muslim or non-Muslim.