‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch purification guide!, 13 Mar 2007
This review is from: Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart (Paperback)
An amazing book - and I say this having read it cover to cover in an incredibly short space of time (well, by my standards anyway). The book is essentially, a commentary on Imam al-Mawluds "Matharat al Ql-Qulub" or Purification of the heart. In well laid out chapters, it details the various diseases of the heart (from Anger and Envy to Boastfullness and Arrogance) outlining their detrimental affect on the condition of the heart whilst recomending treatments to help erradicate the most hardened of spiritual diseases.

The nature of the books content renders it applicable to pretty much everyone. It will serve as a timely reminder to those who are preoccupied with worldly matters that are a hindrance to spiritual and emotional development.

A must read for Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calm and soothing, 26 Aug 2008
Miss A (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a book on heart purification and bought this book after reading the reviews from Amazon. This is the first time I am reading this kind of book so i don't know what to expect. it turns out that I really like it and find it easy to understand. What I like about it is it specifically addresses each disease and the treatment for it. At the end of this book there is a lot of supplication from the Prophet and general tips on purifying the heart, which is simple and easy to follow. I would recommend this book for Muslims who are sincere in soul-searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Read, 3 Aug 2004
The translation by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is truly awesome. Its crispness & clarity pierces the heart with a glow of warmth and wisdom. This book quite literally is in another realm of scholarship and unlike any other you would have read. Its advice is simple, succinct yet striking to the intellect. It manages to condense in a little over 200 or so pages the root causes of all the problems we face as humanity today and probably have done from the beginning of time (God knows best). Not only that, but it also gives us sound, practical and relevant methods by which we can eradicate them if we choose - each and everyone of us! This can only be achieved if we follow the advice with a sincere heart, a heart that is striving to elevate itself from the depths of delusion to a purer state of purification. This book is a must read for anyone who wants a true intellectual & spiritual awakening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purification of the Heart, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I am not a normally keen on books, but after a recommendation from a friend, I bought this book and I would just like to say that this book is just amazing. Right from the start I couldn't put this book down, it has pointed out things that I didn't even realise I was doing wrong but are blatently obvious. It is a excellent stepping stone towards the right direction no matter how much knowledge a person has.
The context of this book is simple and also has reasoning behind everything that is said, it has helped make me a better better person and alot more cautious in the things I do and say. I have realised how precious life is and how close we are to death and should sort our lives out as soon as possible.
I do not regret buying this book at all, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone as I don't think there is a single person who will not benefit from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magnificent, 9 Jan 2005
By A Customer
Divided into 28 sections each dealing with a different disease of the heart (such as hatred, rancor, ostentation etc) Hamza Yusuf's translation of Imam al-Mawlud's Mathurat al-Qulub is magnificent.
The book combines Imam al-Mawlud's timeless beautifully terse explanations of spiritual diseases and their cures with Hamza Yusuf's wide ranging knowledge of Islamic tradition and how the modern world works to create something that is strikingly modern and relevant. The insights into the human condition and psychology are amazing.

A real eye-opener which cannot fail to make you examine your faults and make you a better person. The best self-help book you'll ever buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 Feb 2006
Many of us want to be better people. Many of us see our own short comings and we dont really know where to begin. This book highlights the many spiritual issues that are common amongst us all. Hamzah Yusuf, breaks these down and gives us a clear undertsanding of them. He also mentaions the cures.
A must for all those who want to better themselves as a person. THIS BOOK IS A MUST FOR ALL. REGARDLESS OF WHAT BELIEFE YOU COME FROM; HINDU, SIKH, ISLAM, JEWISH, ATHIEST, AGNOSTIC ETC, A BOOK FOR YOU ALL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual guidance, 6 July 2013
Very helpful for my day to day spiritual guidance . Would recommend this book to anyone. Not a bad price either.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful Book, 21 May 2009
R. Yunus (London) - See all my reviews
I wasnt too keen on this book but reading the reviews on Amazon made me decide to buy it. This book has been written so well, it makes you think about life and how precious it is, it makes you realise the weight the heart carries in everyday life. It makes you realise that death is closer than you think and how short life is. Perfecting your action to perfect your life...

A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have on your book shelf., 15 Mar 2009
You can pick any each chapter in this book, you don't have to read it from beginning to end. Each chapter is divided into different spiritual diseases of the heart. You can read this book again and again and always learn something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone MUST read this book!, 9 Aug 2004
This book is a translation, with commentary of a poem by a great Mauritanian scholar. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf has once again brought to the western audiences a masterpiece, adding a commentary befitting of the original poem, supporting it with verses of the Quran and words of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing upon him). The book details the many spiritual diseases of the heart, and how to cure them. Without a doubt every open-minded adult who seeks purification and self-betterment MUST read this book, Muslim or non-Muslim.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›