Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2009
Great book for dog owners and trainers alike. Loads of practical advice on why dogs bark and how to retrain inappropriate barking behaviour.
I have already put this out on loan to someone who is complaining about their dog barking.

Turid is one of the world's top behaviourists and this is the only book I have ever read where the barks are catagorised, including how they sound, and what may be the trigger.
on 19 August 2009
I bought this book a month ago. Since then, it has been out on loan to various friends who simply tend to yell at their dogs when they bark. Out of desperation many have resorted to aversive techniques to eliminate barking, such as spray cans and one even used an electric shock collar. If people understood a bit more about what was going on in their dog's heads and how they have unwittingly encouraged barking then aversive responses could be almost eliminated. This is a great book. Buy it, read it and you may even know when your dog says 'thanks'.
on 15 September 2008
This book is an excellent read, it is the ONLY book i have read (of which there are lots) to split the different barks into catagories, (including a written idea of what each bark sounds like) so that you can truly discover why your dog is barking, making the training to prevent unwanted barking much easier. My dog isn't completely cured but as the book says some dogs need to vocalise how wouold we like being told never to speak again? This book helped me not only understand my dog, but also to understand others whilst out. I can now recognise the differences between barks, and am more aware if the dog is a threat to us or not. A MUST for ALL dog owners, as so many dogs are branded as potentially aggressive due to a vocal nature, (mine included until i got this book) when the reality of the fact is most barking is done by scared, insecure, excitable dogs, and most aggressive dogs don't actually bark before an attack!
The only problem is if like mine your dog has a mixture of barking triggers,(due to a shaky puppyhood) is doesn't really cover what to do when your dog is an exciteable barker, protective barker, and fear barker all within the same trigger. Which bark to train out first and which is the priority. But most dogs aren't like mine and usually have only 1 trigger and 1 issue to cause problem barking.
on 11 April 2011
A superb book, and must buy for any dog owner!!
detailed description of the different barks and what they are likely to mean, easy to read and dip in and out of.
I have load of dog books as I am a canine behaviourist and this is up in my top 5 books,
Buy it, its fab
on 23 January 2009
Really like this book. It's the only one I have found that tackles this issue properly. I bought this book as the author and her courses and books were highly recommended in another very good dog book I have just finished.

If you have barking issues with your dog and want to understand what the barking seems to mean, then this book "Barking" is the book for you without question. It's yet another good dog book from Turid Rugaas.

I'd also recommend the book I was reading that recommended Turid Rugas's books (if you see what I mean) - "How to Handle Living with Your Dog" by Winkie Spiers How to Handle Living With Your Dog: No Nonsense Advice on Puppies, Dogs, Pedigrees, Rescue Dogs, Heinz 57s and Their Puppy Classes, Dog Training, Canine ... and Diet & Exercise! (How to Handles)
(And no, contrary to what you may think, I have no commercial interest in this other book - I just like to be fair, and I wouldn't have found this Turid Rugaas book if I hadn't read Winkie Spiers' book.) :o)

5 stars!
VINE VOICEon 3 April 2011
i find all Turid's books to be highly informative, simple and easy to understand and they all make perfect sense.
Her dedication to only positive training methods results in happy and well-trained dogs. She has a clear understanding of how the dog's mind works. She not only enables the reader to train thier dog, but explains how and why the dog behaves in the way it does, which gives the reader a better insight into training.

She gives the reader simple instructions and a programme to follow to deal with the problem behaviour, as well as enabling the dog to learn a new and positive alternative behaviour.

You do not have to be a behaviourist to achieve the desired results.
I highly recommend her books as a resource for both trainers and the general public.
on 28 October 2010
This amazing lady really does pass on her understanding of dogs. She talks a lot of common sense and helps you communicate with your pet, and understand the signs of stress.
She wrote another book about calming signals which is also amazing. jj
on 4 April 2011
This is an amazing book. It helped me understand why my dog was barking and how to help him stop. Highly recomended
on 29 March 2011
This book was excellant and did 'exactly what it said on the tin'! Having even taken our dog to a Dog Borstal I really didn't hold out much hope of a book solving our problems with a 3 year old cocker who, despite appearances, has been a barking nightmare. On reading the manual I felt more confident in 'translating' the bark and in accepting the reasons for it rather than constantly being embarrassed and anoyed by it. Subsequently MY behaviour has improved too!!
on 3 March 2010
this book is brilliant and helped me too understand our boys and what they wanted highly recommended