5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 14 Jan. 2009 by Stiofan Mac Gabhann

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel calmer already!
Read this book in under an hour - could do with being longer with more illustrations of calming signals. Turid believes very much in motivational training using positive techniques only. Would like to see if this works as well as it promises but due to the brief covering of each section in the book- there are alot of questions that are left unanswered for me.
I look...
Published on 3 Mar. 2009 by Seragee

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jan. 2009
Everybody who comes in contact with dogs (owners, trainers, vets, groomers, joggers...) should know about the calming signals. It isn't difficult at all once you know what you are looking for! Please get the book and start to communicate with your dog!! It is really an amazing experience! Another brilliant book: "How to Handle Living With Your Dog" by Winkie Spears! Wasn't there a reviewer who wanted more of those insights??

5.0 out of 5 stars CALMING SIGNALS - IF ONLY I KNEW EARLIER, 11 Jan. 2003
On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals.
This book should have been called; On Talkiing Terms with Humans: Calming Signals.
Turid Rugaas is the original Dr. Doolittle for Dogs.
Although the book is quite thin (33 pages) Turid has managed to share the wonderful knowlege that she has lear'nt over the years the fact that we CAN communicate with our dogs in their own language, and the most amazing thing is it is something dog owners have all been living with (all be it ignorantly) for all of our dog owning lives. Upon finishing the book and attending one of her seminars I was quite abashed to learn that my dogs have been talking to me and in my ignorance I have been totally ignoring them!.
Anybody who loves their dogs must read this book to enlighten themselves with the way the dogs body and vocal language works. I own a Briard who come to me with terriable pyscological problems and I struggled for almost 2 long years trying to get to the base of the problem, it was only once I had taken in the teachings of Turid Rugaas was I totally able to understand my Brard's problems. I now live with a kind loving boy, instead of the nervous mis-understood boy that he once was. Finally I would like to offer big thanks to Turid for sharing her own valuable knowledge with anybody who would take time to listen.
This book is a must for ALL dog owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a book which makes complete sense, 19 July 2010
This review is from: On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Paperback)
I have not long had this book, it is only very small, but is packed with extremely good advice. I considered myself 'good with dogs'' but never realized all of the signals they send out. ( I always have with people..strange). I have a now l uear old Labrador dog who is very lively to say the least and my hair was beginning to thin!! Now though, because of the book, we are understanding one another much better, although I do get some 'funny'looks at times. My dog, seems to be thinking 'my God she has a brain!!!' I would recommend this book to anybody and am so pleased I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 19 Nov. 2009
J. D. Morgan - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Paperback)
I have two dogs, one of which was abandoned close to where I live. A properly qualified canine behaviourist diagnosed him as suffering from fear aggression as a result of the treatment he had received prior to being abandoned. He was frightened of people, other dogs, cars, the vacuum cleaner etc. and reacted agressively when confronted with these and other situations. The long,slow process of building up his confidence requires various methods of reducing his stress levels and I have found that Turid Rugaas' book has been an important tool. I am still amazed that when confronted, for example, by an approaching car his stress level visibly reduces when I yawn.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Book for Dog owners, 9 Aug. 2007
Trainergirl (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
If you are planning to train as a dog trainer or you just want to understand more about your dog, then this is a must-have book. Turid Rugaas explains simply about dog body language and after you have read this book, you will never look at a dog in the same way again. The subtle body language of dogs that you didn't notice will suddenly leap out at you. For me, most of my nervous dog's behaviour started to make sense. Turid is a very well known dog behaviourist in Europe and I know people that have been trained by her who all say it was a fantastic experience. Please also buy the DVD that is available, because it's excellent too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-violent communication with dogs, 12 Jun. 2009
This review is from: On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Paperback)
I have five other great dog books in my library but this is my favourite.
Because it makes me understand what my dog 'think' and feel in social situations with other dogs and people AND it also gives good examples how I can communicate back positive messages of peace, calm and assertiveness.
This is not a book about owner being a 'topdog' and how to reinforce this message in your dog. When you can understand your dog and make him feel safer and more comfortable in social situations - he or she will give you enough credit anyway.
Excellent photos, explanations conceise and to the point, lovely examples of life situations with her fantastic dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a must for dog owners!, 24 Aug. 2011
This book explains some key 'dog language' using simple descriptions, photos, examples and case studies, and gives ideas on how to use this knowledge to help your dog. It is fascinating watching your dog and recognising the signals explained in the book and gives a bit of a deeper understanding of how your dog is thinking.

I found this book particularly helpful in learning how to 'read' my dog when he is meeting other dogs. He was poorly socialised in his first home so has had to learn how to interact with other dogs, by being able to recognise the signals given in this book I have been able to praise 'good' language and intervene when he or the other dog hasn't got it quite right, preventing any problems and giving him confidence in his own ability to meet other dogs.

If you want to understand your dog better and gain more trust by being able to 'listen' to your dog this is the book to read :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but a bit brief, 6 Sept. 2008
This review is from: On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Paperback)
Definatly got some useful information in it but it did leave me wanting more.
The pictures are very helpful and I did learn from it but feel it could have been more indepth as she obviuosly has a good knowledge of the subject.
A good booklet to have for info but left me with lots more unanswered questions, so a follow up would be great

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EASY READ, 2 May 2010
Mr. G. Elvin (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals (Paperback)
Easy read, easy to understand and you dont have to be an expert. After reading this book you can see in your dog what the author is telling you.

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel calmer already!, 3 Mar. 2009
I look forward to using these calming signals and using the information gained to help understand what my dog is trying to tell me!

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas (Paperback - 1 Dec. 2005)
Used & New from: £3.79