on 5 November 2010
I developed a phobia of public speaking & presenting after a bad experience & this book really helped me begin to re-build my confidence.

It's great to read about people with similar experiences to you & it really helps to know that your not alone in suffering with this.

I'm not a big reader but the chapters are easy to get through with excellent summaries at the end. As its a workbook there are some excellent exercises that you can work through time & time again to focus your development & keep your fear under control.

This isn't something that you cure overnight, more so something than you slowly learn to accept & control over time & this book is extremely helpful along that journey.

I would recommend it to anyone with a real fear of public speaking or presenting.
on 12 November 2009
I have recently had the good fortune to read Janet Esposito's book 'In the Spotlight' and have already benefited from the techniques and exercised described. I am an actress wo has suffered for years with terrible stage fright / performance anxiety, it has blighted my career as a performer, costing me many opportunities to further my career. The fear has inhibited me so much that I have been afraid to take opportunities when they have presented themself and feel I do not have the career I could have because of this.

Until I read Janet's book I did not identify my problem as being stage fright and I felt terribly alone being surrounded my ultra confident actors who didn't seem to experience this problem.

I would urge any performer who experiences anxieties to do with performing to read this book. It is a cliche but I feel this is starting to change my life. Janet's exercises encourage a new way of thinking when you are faced with a speaking or performance situation. It is an immensly practical book but you must do all of the exercises in order to really benefit from the book.

I have only just started to use the book and already it has helped me prepare for a major audition. I can honestly say that I was able to control my fear in a way i have never been able to do before, so much so that for the first time in years I enjoyed my audition and felt fully able to express my self without being crippled by inhibitions.

I would also urge you, whether you are a performer or anyone with a fear of public speaking to visit Janet's website. She has created a support network for anyone experiencing these kinds of anxieties.

i have also been so encouraged by my experiences with this book that I have booked a consultation with Janet to work further on overcoming my fear of performing. I have worked with various therapists over the years but none of them have so succinctly identified my experiences as Janet has in this book. I finally feel I have come across someone who truly understands and can help.

I strongly urge anyone who wants to overcome stage fright to read this book.
on 22 October 2010
Well written, relevant and an essential tool for all those people dreading to have to speak in public for however short or long a period.
An essential for every library
on 16 June 2015
I am surprised to only see 5 reviews here, I was expecting a lot more and 5 stars. I bought this book years ago and instantly connected with it.. It works for me because the author explains the fear of performing and public speaking so well that it gave me great confidence that what I was going through was normal and can be overcome. She describes her own journey and the research she has done and reading this alone gave me confidence that the author knows what she is talking about. She constantly encourages the reader to do the exercises and to overcome stage fright, it is as if she is with you every step of the way. Its organised well too, at the end of each section there are key points and a list of actions so you have concrete things to work on. I have been on my journey for the past 13 years and this is by far the best book I have come across. The exercises in this book work.
on 31 May 2015
This book shows you are not alone and some good techniques to handle any experience thrown at you. I only wanted to scrub up on a few things to make my presentations better and this also helped me.
on 25 November 2013
i did not get time to finish reading the book, however reading couple of chapter of this book, revealed that this is much better than other books written related to public speaking.
on 29 November 2015
Item as described and relatively fast delivery.