Darksiders the game can be best described as The Legend of Zelda meets Diablo. Gameplay is king and Darksiders delivers in that regard; But it also delivers in terms aesthetics. This game is oozing style and when I had the chance to buy the accompanying art book: I jumped on it. And so should you.

The Art of Darksiders would be the pinnacle of artbooks if it...
Published 17 months ago by Robert Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game art, poor binding
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:33 Mins
The Art of Darksiders is a 288-page paperback art book, thicker than I expected. The cover is nice and has some shimmer underneath the art.

Joe Madureira is the creative director for Darksiders and the artistic direction is largely influenced by his designs.

The book is packed with hundreds of concept art on the characters,...
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game art, poor binding, 23 Nov 2010
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:33 Mins

The book is packed with hundreds of concept art on the characters, environment, weapons, artifacts, CG models and other illustrations. There are lots of sketches for anything that moves. The environment art are mainly coloured pieces. The art is beautiful and there are details everywhere.

The text was lacking as there are only character and location descriptions. With so much art, I was expecting some artist commentary regarding the game but there is none. Strangely, there's also no foreword and introduction -- you go straight into the art on page 1.

The binding for a book this thick is quite bad, hence the average rating I gave. It's fragile and will break when you open it too much. The alternative hardcover edition is only sold at Udon's site and cost too much.

It's a great art book let down by the terrible binding. Darksiders and video game art fans can expect bittersweet satisfaction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional content, poorly packaged, 3 May 2011
Kaye L. Elling "K_0" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewers in that this book is an exceptionally detailed and in-depth collection of concept art and previsualisation for the game. If rated on content alone, this book would be worth 5 stars and then some.

The reason why it only gets 3 stars from me is because the manufacture of this paperback edition is pretty poor. The print and paper quality is excellent, but the spine on my copy collapsed within 2 hours of careful reading while resting it on a table.

I collect "Art of" books and have bought many in hardback and paperback, and this is by far the flimsiest edition I own. At around 280 large, thick, high quality paper pages, the physical structure is far too heavy for the stitching and glue used for the paperback spine. Maybe my copy was a faulty batch with defective glue, but it has put me off buying paperback editions in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars contents and printing, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
contents in the book and his art is just awesome.

however, binding of the book has poor quality. it has unfolded in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 300 pages of some of the best art you will find in the industry, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)

The Art of Darksiders would be the pinnacle of artbooks if it wasn't for the cheap paperback binding they went for. This thing is massive, packed full with the biggest variety in art you will find in any video game art book to date. There are sketches, scribbles, drawings, 3D renders, concepts, storyboards, beautiful promotional illustrations and so much more all throughout a whooping 288 pages! That's almost 300 pages of some of the best art you will find in the industry.

The Art of Darksiders features 10 chapters: Illustrations, Characters, Creatures, Bosses, Environments, Weapons, Artifacts, Icons, CG Gallery and Key Visuals. As you can see there is a ton of variety when it comes to content and I just love some of the dark, twisted, hellish things you'll see in this bad boy. As it stands - in terms of content - this book is an ultimate beast. Needless to say, I am already looking forward to The Art of Darksiders 2.

For more Reviews like this, visit my personal homepage (check out my profile for the link) where I review video game art books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for artbook fans, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
May be it's a book you have to handle with care, because it's pretty heavy and some pages may detach if you open it completely. However contents are amazing, the quality of the ilustrations won't dissapoint you for sure, and the almost 300 pages contains character designs, art concepts, scenarios and a lot of information related with Darksiders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not the greatest game, but great art book..., 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
I have been a huge Joe Madureira since his Uncanny X-Men days so I was looking forward to getting this art book with great zeal. To be honest I probably wouldn't have played the game unless he art directed it. As for the book, it's full of great art, not just from Madureira. I would have preferred there to be more 3D sculpts on show, but there was still a healthy amount to keep me satisfied.

My book was damaged in transit which was annoying but Amazon duly sent me a replacement which was appreciated, so I can't fault that part of Amazon's service and why I continue to shop with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
This is honestly one of the best "art of" books I have ever bought, in all there about 200 hundred words in the entire book, the rest is full of artwork, including concept work and finished illustrations. Fantastic book for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Book, 21 Jan 2011
Graphic Artist (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Darksiders (Paperback)
Wow! It was so much more than I had expected. It's a massive thick book with what seems like thousands of images. I was so impressed. Could do with a hardcover simply because the book is so big I feel it will one day break apart. Joe Madureira's work is excellent. A fine buy.

The Art of Darksiders
The Art of Darksiders by Various (Paperback - 9 Nov 2010)
Used & New from: 114.90