5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me feel understood...
This is the best book on the subject I have ever come across. I am a very visual person and so this book just made so much sense to me, books that are too wordy or clinical get into my logical brain and I try and analyze the things I feel and think, the reasons why, and I try and make sense.

This book however goes deeper than that, it gets to a part of your...
Published 6 months ago by Badger

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended
Not worth the money. No valuable insight whatsoever and no story. Just keeps saying the group therapy helped them. Bully for them. I have just been financially raped for £6.25.

Very nice drawings.
Published 3 months ago by keep smiling

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me feel understood..., 3 April 2014
Badger (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The courage to be me: A story of courage, self-compassion and hope after sexual abuse (Paperback)

This book however goes deeper than that, it gets to a part of your brain that you can not easily reach, because all the elements of you can understand, they can "see" and "hear" the words and the pictures. Many would have been much younger when they were abused and the way this book is made, it felt like it was talking directly to those younger damaged elements of myself.

When I first read Nina's chapter 2 - I'm not mad - I was moved by how she just "got it", right in front of me were my own feelings and fears that I dared never speak of, that I held in me because I thought it was only me who felt that way... suddenly it wasn't just me anymore and that is why this book is so special.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Courage to Be Me-simply moving, 1 May 2014
Having worked with survivors for many years now-this book is just what is needed.When people are in emotional pain and feeling vulnerable they are unable to process complex text and ideas.They need simple effective and empowering help.This book shows them they are not alone and though their journey may be painful and fearful they will survive and heal.I have already given this to one of my clients and I can envisage doing this to many others in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, 30 April 2014
Mrs. M. J. Wells "MJW" (Tunbridge Wells UK) - See all my reviews
This book clearly outlines some of the patterns sexually abused people follow to cope with their abuse. The beauty of this book lies in enabling people to realise "I'm not alone". The trauma of sexual abuse is profound, the effects of isolation are toxic. "I'm not alone" is lifebelt. The fact this book is in cartoon form is also enormously helpful. Instead of wading through acres of text, which is off putting especially when the subject is painful, you can scan through and get the message, and due to the format there is a sense of "permission" to put it down and come back to it - in fact this is allowed for by the cunning use of cats! Also some of the drawings are incredibly moving and capture in one black and white line drawing, what is almost impossible to put into words. Huge thumbs up for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on the reality of survivors' experiences of trauma, deeply insightful and empowering, extremely useful, bravo!, 29 July 2014
FM Douglas (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Clear, concise, showing great empathy and understanding whilst never patronising and always interesting. Wonderful.

The section explaining the neurological impact of trauma was particularly well done, exploring some very common survivor experiences in a way that was both neurologically accurate but leaving out the jargon.

Excellent, really excellent, hope it reaches as many survivors as possible, also very worthwhile read for any personal or professional supporters of someone who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Truly insightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, profound, intensely helpful, 17 May 2014
I owe a debt of thanks to Dr Nina Burrowes for this book. As someone who detests self help books, I was completely unprepared for the profound positive impact this had on me immediately (especially the science bit). It is the most constructive resource I personally have had access to. If you, a friend or someone in your life is struggling with this experience, I urge you to check out Nina's book - its honesty and simplicity challenges and supports you in taking the same approach yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly inspiring, 18 April 2014
I love the way this book deals with the most complex crime and makes it touchable, understandable and real. Keep talking about rape and sexual violence so people are not alone, read the book and donate to your local charity. It will make a difference

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of compassion, 9 April 2014
I read the first chapter of this on line, and then waited for the book so I could read it curled up on the sofa. It is a really beautiful and touching book, the illustrations are simple, but powerful, and it is filled with compassion and kindness. I identified with so much of it, and found huge relief in that. It has given me a new positivity to move forward, thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding, challenging and powerful read, 9 April 2014
I've been following "The Cartooning Psychologist" for some time on Twitter, and found myself identifying with the example chapters with a mixture of sorrow and wry amusement. I knew this was a book I had to read as soon as it came out.

Different stories and experiences are presented in short, manageable chapters; each through the eyes of a different woman and kept personal and intimate. The introduction creates vital safe space and helped me understand how I was processing the information and where I needed to take breaks for reflection - the cats were inspired! Unusually, neither science nor emotion was dismissed, but both displayed hand in hand, giving a holistic approach that can reach more women and their needs.

Each chapter was relatable in some way and I found myself crying, smiling and even laughing at different points as I saw my own journey, hopes and fears reflected in this work. It gave me the space and a point of reference to really stop and look at my own progression and areas of need, and something that I can present to friends and colleagues to help explain the little bubble I live in!

Even if this subject matter doesn't seem "personal" to you, this book can play a vital role in challenging stereotypes and myths, and helping society change its outlook on support and sexual abuse. A thoroughly recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is like the author said on UTube, 3 Aug 2014
I stumbled across this book on Twitter. It is like the author said on UTube: 'I enjoyed reading it'. I am a therapist myself and will start recommending this book to some of my clients and colleagues. Pictures and words work better than just words; it is a better way of taking information in and making sense out of it.
The book is simple and powerful at the same time. Takes less than hour to read and explained the whole life journey for many who survived sexual abuse. Thank you, Nina and others who contributed to this cartoon book. I will buy a paper copy to have in my therapy room as well. And thank you for making it available for free to many who are too afraid to bring a book like this home!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... read the content of this book but it was recommended to me thanks, 8 July 2014
I haven't starting reading it yet as i think you need to b in certain frame of mind to read the content of this book but it was recommended to me
thanks