5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great book - be inspired daily!, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
A fan of Simon's book I bought this as a birthday present for my son but have my own copy now too!
Just a delightful , thought provoking book. Simon has a great compassionate way of guiding us to look consciously at our own worlds and jolt us... but in a good way. I'd love to meet him one day and thank him for making us think about the 'ordinary' in life ... and of not being blind to it. I'm at an age I'm trying not to buy too many books ... but this is one that will stay with me. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Critical Reflections, 17 Jan 2014
One Minute Meditation
This book'One Minute Meditation' is a little gem. It is described by Simon himself as a 'mini-retreat'. In a noisy world,that seems increasingly fragmented Simon presents a useful tool to us to aid in our everyday living. using the mimi meditations, we can, with patience critically reflect on our lives, not so much about the past but the here and Now!. Simon invites us to listen and explore our thoughts and actions. We are encouraged to access simple inner stillness. Each page offers much needed wisdom for the spiritual landscape we find in today's world. The mix of story and insights from psychology makes it a compelling read. It provides excellent thought provoking insights to life situations. Not intended to be read in one session but perhaps as a daily reflection. An attractive illustation beside each reflection would I think have helped. Althought this might have increased the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of gold!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
It's not "meditation" as you know it! Perhaps it's simply taking a daily opportunity to think twice.
I find Simon Parke's books have a knack of kindly and simply introducing the most profound and stimulating ideas in a friendly, simple and sometimes humorous way.
I'm finding One Min. Med. is Simon's best yet!
Day-changing ideas are touched on in succinct, accessible, warm, unpretentious ways.
You are often left with every-day visualisations that remind you of 'another way'.
"imagine your influence today was like the spreading of buttercups..."
"taking offence is a choice, just as succumbing to flattery is a choice..."
I don't think I'm overdoing it to say this book could be a catalyst to potentially life-changing attitudes.
Pages I will return to often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 15 Jan 2014
Very special, lots of little gems to contemplate, just for a minute or maybe a little longer! Thought provoking, comforting and inspiring, this is a book that I'll be dipping into regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the brick wall!, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
Beware, the brick wall! Enlightenment can sometimes be painful. Parke writes eloquently with an uncanny knack of hitting you right between the eyes! This book should have a place by every thinker's side.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world through new eyes, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
I was looking for something like this because I've just moved house and every day seems crowded with letters that must be written and boxes that must be unpacked even though I don't know where to put the things inside them. 'One minute meditations' brought a promise that even in the chaos of moving, I can still make time for God - that a minute can be enough to pause and reflect and let light into the dark muddle. I restricted myself to reading just the introduction and the first few meditations to get the 'flavour' but that was enough to convince me that this is going to be a valued companion on the journey. I have made a promise that I will take at least one minute every day to let God into the confusion and turmoil.
The book offers thought -provoking approaches to familiar settings which have already helped me to calm down and restored my belief that the troubles of each day can be overcome which gives me confidence to look forward to what lies ahead instead of dreading tomorrow.
Simon Parke lives in the everyday world we all share but has that vital ability to look beyond it to the vitality and mystery and beauty of the greater world which lies beyond the mundane if we take the time - one minute - to recognise it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much nourishment, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
A one-off review will not do this book justice, in the same way that a one-off read will not.
While reading this book, I was delighted and inspired by the way that Simon, firmly but delicately, raises issues concerning myself and the world that I might want to consider... or better, as Simon suggests, to contemplate.
Each page has the likelihood of sowing an imperceptible seed, and that seed would benefit from regular watering; much nourishment will come from me regularly returning to this book, long after this initial reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple not Simplistic, 2 April 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
To be honest I have always been a bit sceptical about the whole meditation/mindfulness kick. I didn't really get it and a book that tells me you can do it in "one minute" made my eyebrows rise a little higher...
So this is where I eat humble pie: this selection of short, simple (but not simplistic) and clear thoughts and reflections have a length that even the best wine could only dream of.
It may take a minute to read through each reflection but it will continue to reverberate throughout the day - in turns reassuring and challenging.
If you want "instant" gratification then this book isn't for you. But if you are prepared to be still and come to know...who knows what you might discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
I have 3 of Simon's other books and regularly read his blog. This book is Simon at his best. Each mediation is fresh- like a sorbet for the mind. I am either calmed or enlivened afterwards. I get so much out of such a little one minute investment. This book is a gift. Enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Parke with support, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
It had been seven hours and fifteen days that I had been waiting for my opportunity to spend some quality time reading through Simon Parke’s latest book. I had started reading one (or two) meditations a day (as the introduction recommended), but I had become slightly impatient, and wanted to make more progress. The good news was that I had a planned train journey coming up, which represented a perfect opportunity to imbibe some of Simon Parke’s short - but deep - meditations. However - disaster struck. In the week before the train journey I purchased a Best of Sinead O’Connor CD. Now I had 2 items that were attempting to claim my available time. But I has a solution ! I would listen to the CD while reading Simon’s book - a perfect solution I thought. How wrong I was – my solution fell into the “Do not try this at home category”. My ears and eyes were in complete conflict. While Simon’s words spoke about calmness, stillness, and hard-earned wisdom, Sinead countered with pent-up fury. I was soon exhausted, wishing I had followed the advice in the introduction, and not allowed meditation to become a foreign language. On the positive side - if I had to pick one phrase to remember from that troubling train journey, it would surely be Simon’s unwritten motif – “Nothing compares to you”.

One Minute Meditation
One Minute Meditation by Simon Parke (Paperback - 6 Jan 2014)