5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant and heartrending, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I shall endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
-Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

This life’s dim windows of the soul
Distorts the heavens from pole to pole
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not through, the eye.
William Blake – The Everlasting Gospel

Haunting and elegant. I have head Ms. Mostert’s works described this way before, by other reviewers. This, and so very much more, is the work of Natasha Mostert. For she has a voice that is deeply evocative, an exceptional, mystical writing style. Natasha’s turn of prose is both otherworldly and sensual, a voice that sends chills down my spine and reaches into my soul, making a home for itself in the sweet, dark recesses of my existence. Her writing comes to mind over and over, in the dark of night or the bright light of day, a paean to her brilliant style, as her ability to paint rich, intriguing portraits with words which steal into my awareness in the most common of moments. Words which bring me to my knees, to weep and sigh, to long deeply and without respite.

Kepler’s Bay. A remote and forbidding town in a remote and forbidding land, bitter and forlorn. Perched on the razor edge between the Namib and the sea, Kepler’s Bay clings to the edge of the world with barely restrained ferocity, much as do the creatures of the great desert upon which it backs. Kepler’s Bay. The melancholy call of the soo-oop-wa, the never-ending wind, maddens, takes piecemeal grains of the soul, eventually leaving behind naught but a dry, desiccated husk – a body walking with no spark within.

The Namib, oldest desert in the world, ‘The land God made in anger,’ say the San people. But he had always thought that only a god in pain could have imagined a place like this. And from this land of soaring dunes and brutal winds one day appears a wild man, filled with pain, with fever and madness. Madness and passion. Violence and death. Samuel Becket said: “All men are born mad. Some remain so.” And is madness not pain, turned in upon oneself?

Across the desert, in the lush green of the English countryside, a woman arrives. Lost and maddened in her own right, she arrive upon the doorstep of a sad and haunted estate. As she sinks into the stories of this place of madness, fratricide and pain, broken shadows and haunted rooms, one soon cannot truly discern where the house leaves off and the woman begins. Quiet desperation. Ghosts and haunting images through a camera’s lens.

They are so close, and yet so far apart. So very, very far apart. Has it been this way, lives upon lives, sinking into the past? And what of unintended consequences, the vagaries of fate and karma?

Yet ah! why should they know their fate?
Since sorrow never comes too late,
And happiness too swiftly flies.
Thought would destroy their paradise.
No more; where ignorance is bliss,
‘Tis folly to be wise.
Thomas Gray - Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College

Through our lives, do our souls search? Do they seek desperately, yearning for that which was, which could have been, or which shall never be? And is evil merely the absence of good, demons playing bones with our lives?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. – Khalil Gibran

How many paths must we walk, how many lives to be lived? How long must we suffer before paths may cross, before we might know peace? Do our souls wander alone, searching beyond ourselves for knowledge, deep in the rending silence of the night? A photography of insanity may be a shard of light. Questions and blood and dreams of deaths long past, pain and ancient desire. All are spread before us between these pages. Allow her words to reel you in, to touch and tease, sooth and savage by turns. To think. To dream. To sorrow.

To hope.

This book was provided to me by the author in return for a realistic review. It touched me more deeply than any of her works yet have – and those have been absolutely brilliant. I hate reviews that begin with “If you like the works of” to be honest, but if the interspersed quotes touch your soul, I strongly, very strongly, encourage you to read Windwalker. And then her other works as well. I don’t believe, once you have read this one, that you will be able to resist.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really makes you think......., 21 Jun 2014
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
about the power of reincarnation and lives lived many times over with the same person.

When Justine takes up the job of Caretaker at the now deserted Paradine Hall she hears from the Gardener and his Grandson the tragic story of the family who lived there. Adam the eldest brother and heir to the estate murdered his brother Richard and then their Mother blew her brains out with a gun.

Justine is a professional photographer and after taking some stills, she goes into the darkroom and processes them. What she sees is beyond her comprehension.........how come there appears to be an animal in the pictures?

She is also drawn to Adam, quite why she doesn't know but it's a draw that transcends time and space.

Meanwhile in Namibia Adam is having dreams of his old home and of a woman he has never knowingly met in this lifetime. He also watches over a family of Strand Wolves which are in fact not Wolves but Hyenas.

Someone is watching Justine though and entering the house at night.......when you find out who the Watcher is, you'll be very surprised as I was.

This was a really good book although it didn't end in the way I thought it would.

Natasha Mostert is my new favourite authoress at the present time.........her books really grip you from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars I shall recommend this book to, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
I have now read all three books of Natasha Mostert offered by netgally. What a superb mixture of mystique and factual they all are. The Windwalker is no exception. I was enthralled by the description of the cave diving especially as there had been a dramatic rescue from one recently on the news I could feel the heat of the desert. The house with it's secrets had me wondering what was behind every corner. I shall recommend this book to all

4.0 out of 5 stars Each Page Comes Alive with Atmosphere, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
Are you ready to FEEL the dark and raw emotional power of a book? Windwalker By Natasha Mostert is a dark romance filled with intrigue and mystery as two people pass through each day shrouded in the dark shadows of their past. Half a world apart, a murderer and a suicidal danger magnet feel the essence of each other, but only one understands what this means. Soulmates, passing through time and reincarnation never quite connecting, until now, but will fate allow them to finally be together and feel whole? Is there another hiding in the dark recesses and corners who is watching, planning and waiting to make their move?

Natasha Mostert does more than paint a scene, she creates an atmosphere of darkness, desolation and need that is raw and heartbreaking. Her style is richly elegant and smooth as dark silk as the story slowly unfolds toward the ending that allows the reader to continue in the moment and beyond. Not a quick and easy read, there are moments to ponder, worlds to picture and the gravity of the plot to contemplate. First ask yourself, do you believe in reincarnation and soulmates? Read this and ask yourself again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance isn't really my thing but..., 11 May 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley (in return for an honest review) after having read another of Natasha Mostert's books called Season of the Witch which I thoroughly enjoyed and gave 5 stars to. I was hoping to enjoy this one as much but I didn't find it to be as good, don't get me wrong I did enjoy it but I found it slow to start with and had to stop myself skipping parts. I think perhaps it was more to do with the fact that romance is really not my thing but there was enough mystery and a little paranormal to keep me reading. The idea behind the story itself was good and once I reached the middle it did start to pick up for me and I wanted to find out the fate of the characters.

If you like romance then this is a good read, it just wasn't for me.
I am giving this 4 stars just because I like the style that Natasha writes with and the fact that the ending had me putting the put down every so often cause I knew what was coming and wanted to put off the emotional rollercoaster I knew was coming my way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good and enjoyable!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
(I received a free copy of this book, through NetGalley, in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I didn't realise until I started reading this book that I'd read it before. I know the author, but only remembered two of her books that I'd read. This wasn't either of them.

Although not a concept heavily explored in this book, I found the idea of different paths - always searching for one's soulmate throughout consecutive lives - quite an intriguing one. It's something I would have liked to see further explored, but I felt that there was a good build-up to the two characters meeting for the first time.

Adam's past was something that particularly resonated with me. There was little sense that he regretted what he'd done, even though he was on a journey of redemption. I feel it would have been better if there'd been a good relationship before what had happened. The redemption plot would have come across better then.

The sections written from the POV of the Watcher were suitably creepy. One thing in particular makes me cringe and shudder when I think back on it. The first time I read the book, I had no idea of the identity of the Watcher and it came across as a complete surprise.

When Adam and Justine were together, I felt that there was a little too much summarising going on. When it comes to soulmate-based romances, I think the author needs to work twice as hard to make said romance believable.

There was clearly a lot of research that went into this book. The diving scenes in particular were really well-written and I could picture it all happening inside my mind.

The ending of the book was kind of sad, but sweet at the same time. There was the sense of both the characters reaching the end of their particular journey in this life.

I enjoyed reading this book and the author is definitely one who I would read again - not just because I have one of her other books on my Kindle. I would personally recommend reading at least one of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely..., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
I received a free ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Justine Calloway, a photographer, has just moved into a new house, Paradine Park, as a caretaker. There she finds out that Paradine Park has many memories with the murder of Richard Buchanan by his brother Adam Buchanan and their mothers suicide following it. Despite Justine knowing that Adam murdered his brother, she seems to feel a connection with him...

Adam Buchanan escaped to South Africa after murdering his brother, Richard, where he satisfies himself by cave diving with his best friend, Mark Botha, who is the local doctor. And he also enjoys following strandwolves in the South African desert. However, he is always thinking about his soulmate that he knows is somewhere on the world. Then, he finds an article on Justine, with her picture, which shows tattoos that he has as well, and he knows that she is the one that he has been thinking of for all these years...

This is the third book by Natasha Mostert and I've found that bit by bit I am starting to like her style of writing. I enjoyed this book the most out of the three that I have read. I really enjoyed the mystery and a bit of paranormal.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - MUST READ, 20 Mar 2014
BLUE FISH (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
Being stalked and having a stalker is very unsettling, this story of love, murder, redemption, destiny and eventually love is made of edge of seat reading, another brilliant novel by Natasha. You have to read it to the end to find out whether the girl escapes and finds her destiny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, 1 Mar 2014
Ajoobacats "Ajooba Cats" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
Admittedly romance books are not my preferred genre when I'm asked but this hauntingly beautiful love story really was a joy to read. She's a photojournalist struggling with the aftermath of her brothers death, he's a fugitive from the UK hiding out in Namibia who dives for diamonds part time. Both very flawed characters who are drawn inexplicably together in various ways, and fate throws a few villains in their path just for kicks.

The book is not at all predictable and the ending is beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and haunting book - read it now!, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Windwalker (Kindle Edition)
Natasha Mostert is one of a kind. Windwalker is elegant and well written. It's such a joy to find a writer with original ideas and her own voice after reading books by the many identikit chick-lit authors out there.

Her descriptions of the English manor house and Namibian scenery are haunting and evocative.

She researches her subject for each book so that, each book, the reader learns something new: Mostert educates the reader in an entertaining, not clunky or obvious, way. (This time, diving and photography!)

Mostert writes edgy, dark books that stay with you long after you have finished them. I couldn't put Windwalker down - it was gripping, I cared what happened to the characters, and it was very moving. I can't think of another writer like her, and am looking forward to reading more by her.

Windwalker
Windwalker by Natasha Mostert (Paperback - 15 Jan 2014)