5.0 out of 5 stars From cradle to grave
This neat little book by William Hanson and published in the Bluffer's Guide series runs to around 110 pages.

Published 6 months ago by Paul Madge

3.0 out of 5 stars Having read and really enjoyed Bluffer's Guide to Football
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's Program.

Having read and really enjoyed Bluffer's Guide to Football, I found Etiquette a bit of a let down. I might have enjoyed this book more if it had been the first of the Bluffer's series I'd read. It's not as sharply written or as witty, and though I believe most of the advice is accurate,...
Published 12 days ago by N. K. Kingston

5.0 out of 5 stars From cradle to grave, 23 Jan 2014
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides) (Paperback)

Although it is written in a humorous style I think this book could be quite useful when, in our largely informal world, formality is suddenly called for. The contents of the Guide are as follows; To the Manners Born; How Do You Don't; Dinner Party Decorum; Spaghettiquette (The Proper Way to Eat); Don't wear Brown in Town; Twittiquette; Etiquette when Hatched; Etiquette when Matched; Etiquette when Despatched; Fillies, Flowers and Flotillas (The Season); Corgi Courtesy (A Royal Audience)and a Glossary. As you can see, the book aims to cover all aspects of etiquette effectively from cradle to grave.

Although the style is light hearted there is plenty of genuinely useful advice, for example, how to eat awkward foods or the components of morning dress. One occasion I did think this book would have been very useful for was going to a Royal Garden Party - most people will only go once in their lifetime to such an event which adheres to traditional etiquette captured in this book. The section on "e-etiquette" (Twittiquette) gives the book a more contemporary feel than it might otherwise have had. However, like many of the chapters, it's not that the advice is perfectly practical or contemporary, more that the text raises issues that you are likely to have to confront, and, therefore the book helps you to be forearmed.

In summary, this book covers a potentially serious subject which may only rear its head from time to time in a lot of people's lives, but it's ideal for those occasions when it does. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world was my oyster......., 26 Jan 2014
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
.....but I used the wrong fork, quotes dear Oscar Wilde. Well that need never again be a problem once you have read the most tongue in cheek volume yet published b the delightful Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette.

I would hazard a guess that etiquette is far and away the most fragile and non-specific element of most people's lives unless, of course, you should have the misfortune of being invited to one of Mrs Hyacinth Bucket's candlelight suppers and even she might have difficulty supplying the right number of oyster fork. Living, as I do, by the seaside I often witness tourists stabbing the glutinous messes with a supplied wooden fork resembling a sharpened lollipop stick...

But oyster forks may well be the least of your problems when it comes to behaving correctly in a society that, quite frankly, barely exists any more. Knowing what to wear where and when has been replaced by how to announce your latest sprog on Twitter and Facebook. Correct place settings have been replaced by the street food and which bench is the most sociably acceptable to chow down on your burger/pizza/kebab. Baby showers (a wonderful image is conjured by this recent import) have replaced the solemnization of the bawling offspring in a country church peopled by dedicated god people producing Christening mugs and financial promises. Oddly enough funerals have not really been updated, I am guessing that grief is still too uncomical and very rarely do last rite details appear on Facebook any more than photographs are taken at this final gathering of the family clan.

This little volume is a true delight and Mr Hanson has plundered some well worn books on U and non-U tradtions. I was reminded of Lady Gough's "Book of Etiquette" from 1863 in which she established some social commandments of the time ; "One must avoid for example the intolarable proximity of male and female authors on library shelves. Books could only stand together if the authors were married like Robert and Elizabeth Browning" ~ truly delicious!!

Long live etiquette and its debt to British eccentricity..

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I Know More, 9 Feb 2014
I received The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette from the publisher as an ebook file which was easy to download to a reader.

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette is a short book that's full of humor and historical information about the ins and outs of manners and etiquette in the upper echelons of society. With dry British humor, Hanson explains how to dress in white tie, morning dress, and in other dress codes.

I enjoyed the history behind many of the social customs such as the place setting of a formal dinner. For example, I did not know that at one time, the salad fork was placed above the dinner plate, but then was moved to the side because the crest-shaped salad bowl is now placed above the dinner plate. Of course, I never knew that the formal salad bowl is crest-shaped to begin with...I also didn't know the rules about the dinner glasses either.

Overall, I enjoyed The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette. I feel a bit more knowledgeable about social etiquette, and my vocabulary has expanded.

5.0 out of 5 stars One adored it, 27 Feb 2014
I received this from Library Thing's Early Reviewers in return for a review.

I love it. It managed to be both extremely funny, informative and USEFUL, unlike many other guides to manners which are just excuses to make class jokes.

The tone of the book is witty and scolding, it makes no apologies for the fact that

'If you eat your toast incorrectly when you are a house guest in a U [Upper Class] household, you will not be invited back'

This is tempered with lots of interesting historical explanations as to why things are Done the way they are (my mind was blown by why spoons should not be placed at the top of the place setting, I won't spoil it for you though I see another reviewer already has!)

I must admit that I skipped the long list of explanations of different dress codes but it's comforting to know that they are there because if ever I am called upon to attend an event in Morning Dress I will be referring back to it (no straw hats before Easter!). The beauty is you can (and I will) use this stuff and it reminds us that most etiquette is just based around good manners. Strict rules of etiquette are seen as 'stuffy' or comic these days but as this tongue in cheek guide shows they are really all about social signals designed so that no-one is discomforted or embarrassed, ensuring that one exercises restraint in eating and drinking and making sure no-one catches their death through wearing inadequate clothing.

Two things that I learnt of particular interest to me
1) Primogeniture was never observed in the county of Kent (I originating from Kent)
2) British rail is now called Network Rail (as the book was pointing out that upper class people continue to call things by their previous names this suggests that I can skip a bit of homework)

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this book, 16 Jun 2014
I bought it after hearing the author talking about Etiquette on a radio show. Lots of interesting and funny facts inside.
It's a quick read, but one that will tickle your funny bone!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for writers, 13 May 2014
Victoria Craven (Wilmington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent resource both for people raised by wolves (like myself) and for writers who’d like to accurately portray the aristocratic class of Britain or people trying to fit into the aristocratic class and making faux pas after faux pas. [If a writer is looking for a novel that handles this situation well, check out Julian Fellowes Snobs. He’s the creator of Downton Abbey, which gets its fair share of mentions in the etiquette guide.]

Dryly hilarious (though of course one would never guffaw in public), every page is packed with information involving proper dress for every occasion for both sexes, correct terminology for everything, how to phrase wedding, birth and death announcements, as well as responding to wedding invitations and even invitations from Buckingham Palace.

Speaking of the Palace—there are some great bits of information about the Royal Family (never ‘The Royals’ as it sounds like a sitcom) and some of the missteps the Middletons made/make, as well as general life, for Royal watchers.

An extremely useful portion was instructions on how to eat certain foods like bananas. How would you eat a banana in front of Her Majesty? Hint: you don’t use your hands and it involves a knife and fork.

Then there’s the section on The Season, which encompasses the Chelsea Flower Show and that horse race and a whole load of other events that sound like the most dull things to befall mankind.

However, I’d happily attend every mind-numbing society event (since you’re supposed to act as though you’re bored anyway my sincere boredom would go unnoticed) if it meant I never had to attend another hen night/bachelorette party or listen to another woman talk about being pregnant as though she were the only person in history to procreate.

You see, the further up the social scale you go (this applies in both the US and UK) the less emotion you’re to show about anything important. Upon being told the entire west wing of the house is aflame the correct response would be, ‘That’s inconvenient.’ But you’re allowed to be distraught over inconsequential things. ‘I’m gasping for a cup of tea.’ ‘When was your last one?’ ‘Oh ages, ago. Half an hour at least.’ ‘Good god, man, why didn’t you say so?!’

The anthropologist Kate Fox’s wonderful Watching the English (also an indispensable book for the writer) covers similar ground, but Hanson comes at things from a slightly different but much more hysterical angle.

I loved it and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Stuffy, 24 April 2014
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The thing about etiquette is that its very nature is one of stuffiness. That can never be said about this lovely little guide. I probably should be disqualified from reading it as style is something I have never had. I have had a habit over the years of visiting great sporting venues - but not when anything has been taking place. Yes I have walked round Wimbledon, Lord's Cricket Ground and been to Henley. All when nothing has been happening. Weddings, Christening, breastfeeding, sport, funerals, are all here with tips on how to behave. How to eat pizza and burgers, how to send condolence messages and how to put death notices in the paper. The great thing about these guides is they manage to make serious points whilst seeming to be flippant and fun. All you need is a straw boater (worn properly of course), an armful of tickets, some dress sense and away you go for the great British summer of events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 April 2014
I bought this for Mothering Sunday , and my mother loved it. Very witty and actually gives sound guidance on correct behaviour. Smaller physical size of book than I expected, height and width wise, but there is a lot of content. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived safely, 29 Mar 2014
Loved this little book. Great fun to read. I knew most but learnt some more. I can recommend this little book!

5.0 out of 5 stars elequent and Amusing, 13 Mar 2014
Very informative and extremely amusing, clearly identifies your place in life, turns what mught be percieved as snobbery into an amusing life path to follow, most useful.

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides)
The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides) by William Hanson (Paperback - 15 Jan 2014)
5.24