on 11 January 2016
I was a bit disappointed that so many of these recipes use preprocessed foods. Not just canned beans (I was hoping for some definitive advice about using soaked dried beans and how long to cook) but also, amazingly, a can of condensed mushroom soup in a mushroom stroganoff, low-fat margarine (only a molecule away from plastic), and evaporated milk. Also, why put a swirl of cream into soups if you are trying to cut down the calories? There are some recipes I will probably find useful, and good to know the calorie count for each dish - although I realise I probably need a smaller slow cooker or to cut quantities by four, or find a skinny, vegetarian, one-person cookbook.
It has the feel of a series of books where the same recipes are recycled and put together in different compilations. As vegetarian recipes these are pretty basic and not that imaginative. I am just going to have to resort to my own lengthy experimentation.
on 29 March 2014
I always read reviews before buying a book and noticed that someone was disappointed that the recipes catered to American ingredients. I can only assume they were reviewing more than one book at the same time as anyone in the UK will have no problem getting the ingredients from a large supermarket or local ethnic supermarket. The recipes look great and I am going to do a meal/budget planner incorporating a lot out of this book. Also with this being veggie, it should be easy to keep costs down without forking out for expensive meat like most other slow cooker recipes call for (I am a meat eater,OH is the veggie). Definitely worth the small cost
on 29 March 2013
I love it, the recipes are simple to follow & very tasty, with ingredients that are easy to source. My favourite slow cooker book to date
on 4 March 2013
This book is proving to be a real find for me. Tasty, simple and no hassle so far. Very well written with nice pictures. Great book would recommend.
on 21 June 2014
Good to have calories shown on each page, easy to follow, only tried one recipe so far, easy to put together
on 6 March 2013
Bought this book the other day and its a definite Winner. I use my slow cooker all the time and I'm always looking for new ideas. The recipes so far have been easy to follow and really tasty which is exactly what I was looking for.
on 8 July 2013
Loved this, honest good tasting food. Easy to follow with usually two slow cooker settings if you want a faster cook!!
on 5 April 2014
Very easy to understand this book I use it quite a lot, all the recipes suit my style of cooking
on 4 January 2016
This little book is now one of the most used cook books in the house and we have many. Our family consist of meat eaters, a vegetarian, dieters and no one with time to cook one let alone more than one meal. Having bought a slow cooker as an experiment I bought a couple of cook books to get me started. We have now tried many of these recipes and have several favourites including hand to mouth tex mex. The meat eaters find them substantial and tasty enough to be happy, the vegetarians are happy and I'm happy that we are healthy.
on 13 January 2016
A reasonably good book, with good recipes for slow cooker enthusiasts but the layout of the book could have been better - Larger print to start - much of the pages are wasted and a 'step by step' layout in 'Method' would have been better, as its mixed up into sentences and paragraphs 'all in one', rather than step 1, step 2, etc on separate lines to avoid confusion. I would recommend 'Slow Cooking For Vegetarians' as a better book, with clearer print, in the step by step basis, on separate lines.