Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2014
I was so excited about this book and it didn't disappoint! I really like ghost / psychic stories but sometimes find they get a bit sensational and over the top. This book is neither of those things; it's believable and real, with a great selection of characters and a twisty plot that keeps you hooked.

Ruby Davis is a really nice young woman, with a strong psychic heritage behind her. I loved the intrigue around her family and the strange situation surrounding her mother. I like the way she is an average woman with unusual abilities, and I love the down to earth approach of Psychic Surveys as a high street business.

Her love interest, Cash, is so sweet. Very sweet, very lovely, uber supportive, and as for the dog, Jed, he is such a great character! You feel you know these people at the end of the book and I'm so looking forward to more.

You can't help but get sucked into the mystery of Cynthia Hart, and I could really feel the ambience of Highdown Hall. It grew in intensity throughout the story, and by the final third the pace was breathtaking, I was frantically turning the pages to find out what happened!!

I really, really loved this book. It was rich in imagery, with great characters and an excellent twisty turny plot. It you like ghosts and have a penchant for the spiritual anomalies happening all around us then this is definitely a must read for you!!

Can't wait for the sequel!!
on 2 December 2014
The Psychic Surveys series will fill the hole that Ghost Whisperer's cancellation left behind. :) The author gives such life to death through her compassionate renderings of the deceased and what keeps these troubled spirits from going into love's light. Ruby's Psychic Surveys business in Lewes, England provides the perfect premise for encountering all sorts of people, living or dead, and the circumstances that plague them or ultimately set them free. With the haunting of Highdown Hall serving as the Surveyors' core investigation, the team is likewise called in for briefer--but no less intriguing--cases and gives us insight into the blessing and curse of their abilities. While the primary case is resolved by the end, there are enough loose threads to compel reading on in the series once more books are available--which I would read anyway for Struthers' engaging style and keen knack for spinning a good story, ghost or otherwise.
on 6 May 2014
The Haunting of Highdown Hall is an excellent read and like other reviewers I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. A unique story, with very engaging characters and a core plot peppered with side stories that complement and help build up to a final crescendo. I am so glad that this is the first of a series as I look forward to finding out what happens with Ruby and her team in subsequent stories. I really warmed to all the characters and the suspense created was superb. A beautifully paced novel, with great mystery and a wonderful insight into the paranormal, while staying sufficiently grounded to appeal to a mass market audience. Will be recommending to my book group and also putting in a mental request for a companion like Jed!
on 4 July 2014
A most unusual story, very well written, which after a slowish start - necessary in order to introduce the characters, put them in context and provide the reader with good background - fairly romps along. I became engrossed in this story of spirit-helping, intertwined with complicated detective work.
Film star Cynthia's life was well-documented; but how to unravel the circumstances of her death and release her terrified spirit from violently haunting the living and lead her towards the "light"?
I enjoyed the lighter, down-to-earth episodes with the team of ghost-hunters-turned-detectives and there was even a bit of romance thrown in, providing a foil to the drama of the spirit scenes.
And as I live only a few miles from Lewes, which provides the setting for the story, it seems all the more real.
An entertaining, well-constructed read, and I look forward to reading more in this series.
on 7 January 2015
This is lightweight, unrealistic chic lit with psychic make-up far too thickly applied. The early overuse of quotation marks, the simplistic and u imaginative writing style...it all teaches one to be more selective, even when trying novels out when offered on Sale. A similar level of literature to a comic book.
on 18 May 2014
This is a very well written novel, penned in a clean style with likeable characters and a believable, paranormal plot. Physic Surveys has a staff of characters who engage and provide much colour without falling into stereotypes.
There is a hunky love interest in Cash but is he man-enough to stay around once he discovers the truth about Ruby's vocation?
When the team are called in to investigate Highdown Hall, Ruby's beliefs are not only challenged to their limits but she finds herself investigating the death of famous actress Cynthia Hart and just why is she so reluctant to leave this mortal coil and go to the light? What is she so afraid of? Does the Devil really exist? As details of Harts life and death are slowly discovered, the story develops to a fitting climax on Christmas Eve.
Overall I thought this story was well executed and well researched and I admire the author for keeping it real and not falling into a ghost-hunter style parody!
Recommended to lovers of the paranormal.
on 20 March 2015
Don't expect James Herbert with this book. Although the story is quite interesting, the characters are all a little goody goody for my tastes. At times it's like reading a teenage romance with shades of Sapphire and Steel thrown in.
on 10 March 2015
On the whole, I enjoyed this story. The basic story was entertaining and imaginative, combining a developing romance with a mystery with twists. I engaged with the main character, too.

But... If I'd seen this as a beta-reader, I'd have suggested the writer focused on the story, which would have helped maintain the pace. The narrative about the locations didn't help. I know Lewes and I like it too, but it was a diversion from the story. And I thought some of the spiritualism stuff came across as just a little like a lecture.
on 23 October 2014
A nice story which was written well but not in the least bit frightening and passed a good couple of hours of reading, not something I would reread but not disappointing.
on 9 December 2014
Good story and ideas Some of the writing a bit simplistic for my taste and the love angle a little predictable and oversentimental but overall an entertaining read