Published 9 months ago by M. Malhi

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely recipes but no pictures
Published 9 months ago by Jacdotbee

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome yet simple recipes from an awesome author who knows her stuff, 26 Feb 2014
M. Malhi (Uxbridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 5:2 Vegetarian: Over 100 Fuss-free & Flavourful Recipes for the Fasting Diet (Paperback)
5:2 Vegetarian by Celia Brooks is a handy sized recipe book which clearly states the number of calories per recipe which helps immensely when catering for many who are concerned about the food they eat. I particularly love the neat and short section on looking after vegetables, pulses and fruits. If you're wondering what to do with the courgette lying in the fridge, you can just return to the book to discover different and unusual ideas.
My favourites are the Thai Salad Wraps with Chargrilled Tofu, Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine and Creamy Mushroom Caps. I've got my menu sorted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Delicious recipes., 4 Jan 2014
I am delighted with this book. It is full of really tasty and easy recipes. Just what I was looking for to help me to attempt dieting. I am generally useless at diets but feel two days a week maybe just possible for me. Can't wait to get stuck in. 2014 will see me slimmer I fan feel it in my bones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - tasty recipes and you WILL lose weight, 7 Jan 2014
I've been following Celia Brooks' 5:2 adventures on her blog and am happy to say I've lost over a stone already using her delicious recipe ideas. I'm thrilled her book is finally out. It's quite hard to find really good veggie recipes for the diet (not sure why? as Celia points out, the diet is really made for veggies) but here there are loads. More than anything I've found it quite simple to do and felt healthier and not at all deprived. It's really changed my mindset. Although there are no pictures in the book, it's easy to get a sense of the recipes as Celia describes them really well. And they all seem to be super simple to cook too. Buy this book, you certainly won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for fast and non fast days, 15 Mar 2014
I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. This has a good selection of recipes and those I have tried so far are quick, tasty and satisfying. Would recommend if you are doing the 5:2 but also if you just fancy including a few homemade vegetarian meals into your week. There are hints and tips how to use the recipes for non fasters. Don't be put off by lack of photos in the book, the food tastes great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, simple recipes, 21 Jan 2014
Easy to follow but would be better if the recipes were grouped. Nice book, tasty food, lots of variety. My b/f nor I go hungry on diet days.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely recipes but no pictures, 6 Feb 2014
For the price was expecting a book with colour pictures so a bit surprised not to have them. The recipes sound nice although as yet i have not tried them and I am looking forward to that. But my main gripe with the book is the printing. It looks faded in places . but i think it is the style as it is consistent throughout the book with some type in a less bold font which is quite small anyway but the overall effect makes it look like the ink is running out and it makes it hard to read and follow. Sorry but for a cookery book i want goot size print that I dont have to hold close to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, easy to follow and healthy, 30 Jan 2014
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I’m not trying to lose weight or a vegetarian, but I am always keen to find quick, easy, fuss-free and healthy recipes – and this book is good for that.

On the slightly negative side, there are no pictures of any of the dishes: ok this isn’t essential, but does act as an inspiration for me. There’s also a bit of padding at the start e.g. a chapter telling us that ‘essential equipment’ includes things like scales, different sized saucepans, measuring cups/spoons and even ‘other equipment’ like scissors and paper towels! I’m not a cheffy type but how basic would your kitchen and knowledge have to be for this ‘advice’ to be useful?

That niggle aside, the recipes are often interesting and definitely quick and easy to prepare. I especially like that they have notes on what is gluten-free and dairy-free so that you can see this at a glance, and the index is by ingredient, always handy if you have something in the fridge and are looking for an idea of what to do with it.

If you were following the 5:2 diet, this has calorie and other nutritional counts but for ‘normal’ eaters, we can just increase the portion sizes or add rice/potatoes/bread etc.

So if the thought of broad bean and basil purée, hot & sour tofu bowl, or minted chickpea soup make you salivate, this would be a practical, healthy and easy-to-follow recipe book.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 20 Jan 2014
I have rated 2 stars only due to the poor printing and layout of the book only - the content is great
but some of the print is so faint it is really annoying to try and read it, at first I thought it was a printing error then I realised
it had a structure to it. Also do not like the way 2 different recipes share the same page, makes it a bit confusing.
Saying all that the recipes look very tempting and well thought out just a shame about the presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diet book, 3 April 2014
I have already lost half a stone on this diet. I don't feel hungry at all. Remember to not eat too much on the other days that you don't diet

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this all the time, 26 Feb 2014
floyd (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This is the best 5:2 book I've used (out of six). The recipes are interesting and tasty. This is a book for people who can cook, usually, but just need a bit of inspiration. I love it. And I lost a stone in 5 weeks ...

5:2 Vegetarian: Over 100 Fuss-free & Flavourful Recipes for the Fasting Diet