5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus myth proven. Job done., 7 July 2014
This review is from: On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt (Paperback)
Richard Carrier has done what I hoped and expected: laid out a devastating argument for a mythical Jesus. I don't believe anybody before has put together all the scriptural inspirations for the theology of a combined scapegoat-messiah-high priest-Son of God that we get to see here, and shown how this christology is already known all but complete from pre-Christian Jewish texts and traditions. Carrier has taken Earl Doherty's thesis and brought it to an even higher state of cogency by deploying it with even more background knowledge and analysing it with a fully articulated and logically consistent methodology. Unless evidence of stunning novelty emerges from the sands of Egypt, I do not see this theory being shaken. Job done.

Edit: I should add that this book is peer-reviewed and published by a university, the first such credentialed book ever to defend the Jesus Myth theory, so it needs to be taken very seriously.

I also created a page of books and links to help people get started investigating the Mythical Jesus theory: tiny.cc/mythjesus

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 13 Aug 2014
A fascinating and informative analysis of how, when and why the "myth" of Jesus arose, providing insightful examination of the prevailing cultures and beliefs of early times in the Middle East and how these came together, combining with later socio-political developments across the world, to create a giant hoax. A very well-expressed narrative, providing a powerful argument to support the proposition that Jesus never actually existed. I believe!

On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt
On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier (Paperback - 3 Jun 2014)