1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start. A great place to refresh., 6 Jun 2014
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gospel Centred Preaching (Paperback)
This 150 page book is split into five parts dealing with the goals, means, content, priorities, and process of preaching. It is set out as a workbook with passages of the Bible to study and follow-up questions to reflect on the content of each chapter. I read it this week to refocus my own preaching on the gospel. I have been preaching for over twenty years and this is one of the most refreshing books I have read in that time on the subject. Having the different voices and perspectives of Marcus Honeysett and Tim Chester kept this very fresh. I enjoyed it so much I bought a second copy to give to one of the guys in our church who is preaching for the first time in September. I'm looking forward to re-reading it with him, as I can't think of a better introduction to the heart and craft of preaching than this. Although this book is primarily aimed at preachers, the final two chapters on Bible studies would also be good to be read and shared by small group leaders. The variety of question types and how to deal with difficult folks- Dominant Dave, Moaning Maureen, Know-it All Norman- were absolute gold.

What I liked best was this was pitched at the head and the heart, focusing the Word and the Spirit, and that the goal of preaching is not education but transformation. I enjoyed the Bible studies, the quotes from great preachers and the insights of both authors. I can't wait to read this again!

Gospel Centred Preaching
Gospel Centred Preaching by Marcus Honeysett (Paperback - 17 Mar 2014)
7.31