on 9 November 2013
I think the fault is mine, in that I was expecting a book focusing on the men, planes, and operations of Coastal Command during its existence, with perhaps an outline of its origins, its place in the wider context of air warfare, and the changing political background. However the book is far more than that, and the balance is the other way: the author's theme is the wider context, covering the evolution of air warfare from its beginnings, through the development of various offensive and defensive roles of military aviation with particular reference to naval aviation, looking at the constraints, the fallacies, the ineptness and inflexible thinking in high places, right up to the present day - a story of which Coastal Command's 33 year existence is but one strand, albeit a major one. Possibly because the author is writing about what is in fact a vast subject he seems to lose his way a little in places, but undoubtedly he speaks with considerable experience of his subject, and his views are robust and his arguments compelling, though whether they will be heeded is open to doubt in this era of savage cuts to almost every part of our public expenditure including defence.
on 10 August 2014
I enjoyed reading John Campbell's Coastal Command. Of course it contains some material one can read in other good books written on Coastal Command. That's unavoidable. And it strays beyond the era of Coastal Command into No 18 Group and overseas Commands post WWII, But I don't mind that - it was informative. Throughout his book, John Campbell has included a great deal of information on Squadron movements and on the aircraft they flew. I found especially interesting his many descriptions of submarine (and ship) sightings and encounters experienced by aircraft crews. As I was a former 1950's Sunderland navigator who flew over far eastern seas during the Korean War and over the Malayan jungle, I was interested in his chapters on maritime navigation, weapons, radar and tactics which brought back memories. I'm sure others will find this interesting. I would have liked a summary Table of wartime submarine sightings, attacks and results,based on those described in his book - I might try to produce one from the contents when I have time! Altogether a thoughtful book with a lot of well researched detail. A good read and a useful reference book. Group Captain Derek Empson.
on 26 November 2014
finding it rather hard to put down, great book very informative about the men equipment in this branch of the armed forces
on 8 January 2014
A detailed look at the workings of 'The Kipper Fleet'. As an ex 'Mudmover' I found the section on the navigation techniques particularly interesting. The historical element was very interesting and informative. I did not realise that anti submarine warfare went so far back. All in all a good read, but it made me glad that I was a 'mudmover'
on 31 December 2014
Masses of data for the real enthusiast
on 10 December 2014
As I am researching 502, 202 Squadrons, this book has alot of info that is vital to my research