4.4 out of 5 stars1,110
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2014
I think this book was written quite well...it's easy to read and is unputdownable! Very interesting, Bruno has no knowledge of the Holocaust or the war. It ended not how I expected it to. My mother read it and said it was very sad and that she had cried. I didn't find it so much sad but sorrowful. It really is quite extraordinary, and I would recommend it to anyone, very young or very old. I had wanted to read this book for a long time, and while I'm glad I read it, it was not at all what I expected it to be like. Not the best book in the while world, but all the same a good read.
on 2 August 2014
I had heard a lot about this book so really looked forward to reading it, well not sure if that is the right phrase to use, about such a sad book. The book was okay, I enjoyed the film more which is very unusual as rarely is a film better than the book.
I felt maybe it is aimed at a young audience rather than the older person.
on 28 October 2014
This book is about a boy called Bruno. At the start of the book he lives in Berlin and he has to move near a concentration camp because his Dad became engage of the camp. He was bored the first couple of months until he went exploring near the fence of the camp and met a boy from the camp there. They became very good friends. Everyday from then on the two boys met at the fence. One day Bruno had to go back to Berlin. The day before the boys met again. They had planed the day before that Shmuel, the boy from the camp, would bring a pair of striped pyjamas so Bruno can go in the camp. Everyone in the camp wore blue and white striped Pyjamas. That is were the adventure starts.
This book is one of my favourite book. It is also quite sad. I highly recomend this book for12+. This is a great book!
on 1 July 2015
this book is a really interesting book and I suggest you read it the end of the the book is extremely sad and I suggest that people over 10 should read it to gives you a experience on how it was like back then.
on 5 January 2016
I am just about to teach this to my students and forgot how truly emotional this book was. I particularly enjoy how Boyne tells the story from the view of a child. It is such an easy read, packed with simple vocabulary that really has an impact on any reader. The bond between Bruno and Shmuel is one of sheer friendship and is heart warming, yet terrible to see.
on 8 April 2006
When I bought this book I wasn't sure what to expect; the blurb was very secretive about the content of the book. I was reading it with the thought of passing it on to my year 6 class, to try and lure them away from J.Wilson's teen-reads!
At first, it felt like a light read, for a book which says it isn't suitable for nine year olds; however, it becomes a lot darker the further you get into the story. As an adult, you can see beyond what the child sees and hears (this can be disturbing at times). I could not put this book down and read it in two days!
I won't spoil the ending for those who choose to buy it. The book as a whole left me thinking, which is a good thing. I am not sure if I would recommend it to the majority of my 11 year olds;however, I think a mature child would find it a thoughtful read.
I will be passing it on to one or two adults and children; I also think I may read it again in time I think a second reading may bring more subtext to the suface.
1010 comments|419 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2013
As the book shows World War 2 from the point of view of an innocent 9 year old boy who doesn't really understand what is going on, the book is very, very moving. Reading it as an adult, it is clear to see what Bruno is talking about and the events that are happening and this makes the book extremely interesting yet very sad. Highly recommended to fans of any genre of book a I usually read fantasy books but still really enjoyed this one
on 30 January 2012
My daughter read this first and she is 13. Reading it on a Kindle was great for her as she could use the thesaurus to look up works which were new to her like "fuhrer".

Me and my husband both read it after her and like "War Horse" is crosses the boundries between adult and older child with no problem.

The book is written in a way that unnerves the reader by presenting the most horrendous things with such an innocent view. In my view that makes it all the more powerful and all the more likely to stay with you.

A quick read but well worth it
on 21 June 2014
I found this book nice until the end where something tragic happens the boy in striped pyjamas was a book that sometimes didn't tell you exactly what happened but gave you enough information to work it out.
on 14 May 2014
Great book. I didnt think I would enjoy this and thought it may be a hard read, but nothing could be futher from the truth.
Told through the eyes of a 9 year old boy, I was captivated. Although the book is quite short, I couldnt put it down, and then went on to watch the film