Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2014
I found the story gripping from the start I know about the plight of women in the Yemen. Gabriella was lucky to escape. This story needed to be told and it is time the world leader's did something to support women in this awful predicament. This is a must read for anyone who has an interest in the effects of culture on women
on 10 September 2014
I decided to read this book after discovering the author was someone I had had the honour of being friends with a few years ago. Although I had no idea of her past and curiosity got the best of me! By the 2nd chapter I was unable to put the book down and had to keep reading, although if I am honest I found so much of it hard to read... The story was truly heartbreaking and had me in tears on numerous occasions, but I had to read on! I knew there was a happy ending waiting as I had witnesses the life Gabi and her beautiful family were now living! A MUST READ! A truly inspirational story of courage and survival. Well done Gabs... Now I understand why you were such a tough cookie! Lianne x
on 3 September 2014
This book is a 'must' !!!!! Could not put it down! It's hard to believe that this girl and her sisters endured what they did....due to the ignorance and culture in many middle eastern countries the treatment of women is inhumane! I praise Gabriella for her courage to escape the terrible life she had. I truly hope she found all the happiness she deserves and that she managed to continue contact with her sisters. Would have loved to read a 'follow up' on this book to know how their lives continued afterwards.
on 29 July 2014
What a life story it's good that it has been told and made public knowledge both in book and tv form, the world needs to be more aware of these things.
on 22 August 2014
I dont usually write a review (although I should because I rely on them!). Felt I had to with this book, as it is possibly the best book I have read in a long time. I could not believe what this poor girl and her sisters went through. To think it still goes on is so upsetting. I would love to know what has happened to them all since.
on 1 September 2014
This is an amazing, inspirational and heart-wrenching true story. I was moved to tears several times when reading it. The extent of the torture and heartache that Muna and her family experienced is horrifying and many would be lost for words, yet the author conveys it with crystal clear - and often graphic - description and the intensity of the emotions she experienced shine through her writing. I highly recommend this book.
on 27 July 2014
Saw the interview on this morning. I couldn't believe my ears which prompted me to buy the book. This lady has a back bone of steel!
on 9 September 2014
A harrowing read. We often don't realise how lucky we are to live in a country like the UK. Unbelievable that women and young girls could be treated so badly and forced into very unhappy marriages even in these days. I just had to keep on reading to the end to find out what happened. Have recommended this book to lots of friends.
on 23 October 2014
Most harrowing book I've ever read, couldn't put it down.! Couldn't believe what I was reading at times and at one point I was crying my eyes out, my tummy was churning with nerves a lot of the time for what she was going through and I jus kept wondering how much more this poor girl could put up with. I was practically biting my nails the last couple of chapters and just wish it had carried on for another 6 months of her life as i would love to know how she is now. Can't believe women are living like this in the 21st century, am so glad I live in Scotland, we take so much for granted, I for one certainly appreciate my life a lot more after reading this amazing book
on 17 October 2014
This book is just amazing. I have read quite a few of those books but was even more shocked by this one. There was only one negative and that was that I thought it had a very abrupt ending. I would have liked it to continue until she was met at the airport in UK. It is simply unbelievable that such backwardness and ignorance still exists today in any part of the world and even more unbelievable that one human being, never mind family, could inflict such abuse on another for any reason. She is an amazing lady for surviving and telling her story and may she have every happiness for the rest of her life - if anyone on this planet deserves it, she does.