Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 December 2013
Recommended even if, like me, you have no interest in horse racing. Heard about it from the Review programme on radio 4 as it won the sports book of the year award and whetted my appetite. Apparently this is going to be turned into a film. It is rather a good read with a good description of pre-Beatles England. Especially the Jockey Club who seemed to assume that none of their members ever engaged in betting - that being reserved for the lower classes.
i read this on a Kindle that didn't have any photographs (I don't know if the actual book does)but it does cry out for some. Going to look on the internet for a few now!
on 1 January 2014
Well written with a lot of excellent research. Did not understand why the author had to fast forward over thirty years to mention Brian Brendan Wright. The statement on page 267 about Wright being " behind the doping of at least twenty horses " is totally inaccurate. Not only was Wright never charged with any such offence, he was completely exonerated. This was supposed to be a non fiction book so anyone reading it would believe the facts quoted about Wright. There was no reason to even mention him. I know this has lead to legal action being taken.

Maybe the author would like to contact me to explain ?
on 31 March 2014
Doping racehorses to make a profit from the bookmakers – it’s a gripping story, a Dick Francis-style thriller, and in this case it’s entirely true. Jamie Reid takes us into the shadowy world of the dopers in the 1960s, explaining how the doping took place and how they were caught. Reid has deliberately copied the style of a fiction thriller, and in this case it works – although some might find the prose a little clunky or stereotyped. It might not have been the favourite to win the William Hill Sports Book of the Year, but like one of the dopers’ races, it came from the back to take a surprise win.
on 28 November 2013
A must buy for Christmas! Quite rightly the winner of the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2013. It really stays with you and is a most evocative tale expertly told.
on 25 December 2013
I have read 3 of the 5 William Hill sports books of the year. I found Boys in the Boat the best. Doped was a fine story but I will not be recommending it to my book club.
on 22 January 2014
What a disappointment. In racing parlance it's like being invited to the races, hoping for Cheltenham, but ending up at Catterick watching a 40-runner Class 5 4-mile handicap chase in poor visibility, confused by the mass of sometimes irrelevant drivel and fantasy, desperate for it to end, albeit with a bit more interest in the last couple of furlongs. And anyone who doesn't know the difference between appraise and apprise should be ashamed to call themselves a writer.
on 26 November 2013
A very interesting book that will get in involved with it, well worth reading, very well written and full of information.
on 23 November 2013
I have already told all my mug friends that they would enjoy it. They cant read my version as on kindle.
on 13 February 2014
I very much enjoyed this book could have given it
an extra star but part of my enjoyment was that I
knew people and places which probably if you didn't
not sure what you would make of It.When I started
reading I didn't quite know whether I would read it
all but I did and it certainly opened my eye's to a lot of things
I didn't know went on
on 2 December 2013
Doped: The Real Life Story of the 1960s Racehorse Doping Gang
Rattles along at a fair old pace, telling the true story of a gang doping horses in the early sixties and how they were eventually jailed after some lucky police work, incompetent Jockey Club security and arrogance in racing's old boy network. Couldn't happen today could it?